Is this abnormal for 4th grade homework?

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 05:15 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Are you saying "Wow no" it is abnormal, or "wow, no" it's normal?

I don't rightly remember! I thought I was answering something like "is this similar to your 4th-grader's homework?" but on looking back I don't see that question.

The point with reading every night is just that the main daily homework gets folded into our regular routine, so it doesn't feel like homework. So I'd say five minutes/day or so on average but in reality I have to add 20-30 minutes to that, for the reading.

I have to say she's a bit of a skater, too, and I need to be tougher about that. (She's doing extracurricular challenging stuff specifically to counteract skating tendencies -- no way you can skate in ballet [this ballet anyway, very strict and classical], and she's also doing some science geeky stuff.) But she rarely studies for the spelling tests for example (and aces 'em on Monday anyway). That would add time if the tests were more challenging. (Even when she studies, she knows them so it's still quick.)

I did expect more homework at this level though. Maybe they start the year off light and then more is added later on? I think she had more homework in second grade.

I skimmed over 2.5 hours of football 3/x week + games in your first post, only noticed when snood commented, that does seem like a lot! I know physical activity is really good for Mo tho so not sure what I recommend there.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 05:35 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

It would have been excessive in my day too!

Today's standards suck.

I don't know where ya'll went to school intrepid and boomer, but that sure wasn't excessive for me in 4th grade.

I don't this that's excessive, I see that as quite normal/average, even on the minimal side.
Mame

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:58 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I think 2 1/2 hours of football practice is an awful lot for a 9-10 year old kid.
I don't think the amount of homework you said is being assigned is excessive.
I think it's really easy for you as a parent to unconsciously convey to a 9-10 year old that you think he is being unfairly treated, and I think that attitude could affect his being able to process the stuff he's got to do.

I think the concern about "inexperienced teachers" may well be misplaced - there is no reason to assume, from what I've seen, that more experience as a teacher in our public school system necessarily equates to more effective teaching.

I think the concern about "today's standards" sucking also might be a little misplaced, because as we speak, South Korean kids are starting to learn english in first grade, and our kids are exposed to Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck as fine American authors. In other words, our standards need to be raised high, held high and enforced if we don't want to get our asses kicked academically from a world standpoint.

Completely agree with everything snood said. One caveat: I don't have any experience with children with learning disabilities, so I'm only agreeing that that amount of homework is fine for kids without.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:12 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

boomerang wrote:

It's 8:30 and I finally have everyone clean and fed and we still have a half hour of reading to do so I need to get after it.

I think I'm beginning to understand why our state only has a 60% graduation rate. If the 15 minute a year thing is true that means there would be three hours of homework a night by 12th grade.

6 hours of school, plus 3 hours of homework, plus 1/2 hour of chores, plus 2 or 3 hours of extracirricular activities makes too long a day for any kid.

Add in 8 hours to sleep and you only get about 4.5 hours to yourself on any given day. No adult would do that without a fat paycheck waiting for them at the end of the week.

You are a Mom you do it everyday

You know, I have to agree with this.

Not just that you're a mom.

Following your figures, an adult would "only" get 4.5 hours to yourself during a day?

That is one lucky adult, fat paycheck or not.

Here's the day of perhaps a typical minimum wage earner...

Up at 6am
From 6a to 7a get yourself, the kids ready, feed any pets, etc. etc.
7a to 8a - wait for the bus, take it to work
8a-5p (or some 8 hour period) At work with hour lunch (which is probably a half hour)

5p to 6p - wait for bus, take it home
6p-? - prepare food, take care of laundry, kids, pets, someone sick etc etc etc.

Go to bed at 10p (probably 11p)

I don't even have kids, and off the top of my head, I can't see where I get 4.5 hours to myself any day, including weekends.

Does this mean everyone is unhappy?
No. You find your pleasures during the time you are working, and doing necessary stuff for yourself and family.

Why is there this idea that work, whether for pay, or homework has to be something negative.

Working - bad.
Not working - good

I don't get that.
Isn't part of enjoyment and fun being challenged?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
If the 15 minute a year thing is true that means there would be three hours of homework a night by 12th grade.

6 hours of school, plus 3 hours of homework, plus 1/2 hour of chores, plus 2 or 3 hours of extracirricular activities makes too long a day for any kid.

if you look at the chart I linked, they are looking for 30 minutes per course per day in senior high school - that is easily 3 hours as most have a six course loading.

you don't see kids doing 2 - 3 hours of extracurricular activity a day here. that would not be considered appropriate. most are doing a couple of hours per week - maximum - and those are generally the community volunteer hours that are required to graduate from high school.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:15 am
@snood,
Very well said.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:46 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

you don't see kids doing 2 - 3 hours of extracurricular activity a day here. that would not be considered appropriate. most are doing a couple of hours per week - maximum - and those are generally the community volunteer hours that are required to graduate from high school.

If one is involved in extracurricular activities, isn't that something you wanted to do?
I'd think that would be part of time to yourself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:53 am
I came across some interesting info at http://www.greatschools.org/students/homework-help/homework-is-too-much.gs?content=251&page=all

Quote:
One indisputable fact
One homework fact that educators do agree upon is that the young child today is doing more homework than ever before.

"Parents are correct in saying that they didn't get homework in the early grades and that their kids do," says Harris Cooper, professor of psychology and director of the education program at Duke University.

Gill quantifies the change this way: "There has been some increase in homework for the kids in kindergarten, first grade and second grade. But it's been an increase from zero to 20 minutes a day. So that is something that's fairly new in the last quarter century."

Quote:
Homework guidelines
What's a parent to do, you ask? Fortunately, there are some sanity-saving homework guidelines.

Cooper points to "The 10-Minute Rule" formulated by the National PTA and the National Education Association, which suggests that kids should be doing about 10 minutes of homework per night per grade level. In other words, 10 minutes for first-graders, 20 for second-graders and so on.

Quote:
The optimal amount
Cooper has found that the correlation between homework and achievement is generally supportive of these guidelines. "We found that for kids in elementary school there was hardly any relationship between how much homework young children did and how well they were doing in school, but in middle school the relationship is positive and increases until the kids were doing between an hour to two hours a night, which is right where the 10-minute rule says it's going to be optimal.

"After that it didn't go up anymore. Kids that reported doing more than two hours of homework a night in middle school weren't doing any better in school than kids who were doing between an hour to two hours."

Quote:
International comparisons
How do American kids fare when compared to students in other countries? Professors Gerald LeTendre and David Baker of Pennsylvania State University conclude in their 2005 book, National Differences, Global Similarities: World Culture and the Future of Schooling, that American middle-schoolers do more homework than their peers in Japan, Korea or Taiwan, but less than their peers in Singapore and Hong Kong.

One of the surprising findings of their research was that more homework does not correlate with higher test scores. LeTendre notes: "That really flummoxes people because they say, 'Doesn't doing more homework mean getting better scores?' The answer quite simply is no."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:11 am
@boomerang,
Using those numbers, 40 minutes per day would be average for a fourth grader. More for some, less for others.

Perhaps the U.S. system was radically different from the Canadian one 40 - 50 years ago, because homework for grade 1 up was common here - it's not a recent development.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:34 am
It was a shock for me, too, when I learned how much time kids are expected to spend on homework. You'll adjust, boomer.

SonofEva is in 11th grade now. He frequently has 3 hrs. of homework a night and often more on weekends. He's taking Pre-Calc and Physics this year, so it's tough homework, too. His school has a college prep curriculum.

Yes, standards are higher these days. But so is the competition. The average American education (as we knew it) is simply not good enough to compete in today's global marketplace. So schools have had to raise their standards. For example, when I was in highschool, it only took a composite score of 16 on the ACT to get into the state university. Now it takes a 24. Many kids simply can't qualify for admission.

ALL time left over after school and homework is free time. It's up to you and Mo to decide how he should spend it. If you choose to spend it on chores and extracurricular activities, good for you. You'll have to find a balance that works for Mo.

One question. Do students with learning disabilities typically have to spend more time than the average on homework? Or less?
boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:46 am
@Eva,
Did you see this in my post above?

Quote:
One of the surprising findings of their research was that more homework does not correlate with higher test scores. LeTendre notes: "That really flummoxes people because they say, 'Doesn't doing more homework mean getting better scores?' The answer quite simply is no."

If you read around you'll see that there are big movements to REDUCE the amount of homework in many countries like Japan.
boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
I was thinking that some of our posters might be misremembering the amount of homework they took home in elementary school (in America).

Chance are, if you graduated before 1983 you didn't take much homework home at all:

Quote:
In the late 1960s, homework came to be viewed as a symptom of needless pressure on students. In the 1980s, homework came back into favor, stimulated by the oft-cited report A Nation at Risk, which suggested that homework was one defense against the rising tide of mediocrity in U.S. education.

http://www.nctm.org/news/content.aspx?id=13798
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Did you see this in my post above?

Quote:

If you read around you'll see that there are big movements to REDUCE the amount of homework
in many countries like Japan.
In Japan, there is concern that thay are working themselves (competitively) into very early graves.

(That does not refer to students.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
Quote:

• According to a 2004 national survey of 2,900 American children conducted by the University of Michigan, the amount of time spent on homework is up 51% since 1981.

• Most of that increase reflects bigger loads for little kids. An academic study found that whereas students ages 6 to 8 did an average of 52 min. of homework a week in 1981, they were toiling 128 min. weekly by 1997. And that's before No Child Left Behind kicked in. An admittedly less scientific poll of parents conducted this year for AOL and the Associated Press found that elementary school students were averaging 78 min. a night.

• The onslaught comes despite the fact that an exhaustive review by the nation's top homework scholar, Duke University's Harris Cooper, concluded that homework does not measurably improve academic achievement for kids in grade school. That's right: all the sweat and tears do not make Johnny a better reader or mathematician.

• Too much homework brings diminishing returns. Cooper's analysis of dozens of studies found that kids who do some homework in middle and high school score somewhat better on standardized tests, but doing more than 60 to 90 min. a night in middle school and more than 2 hr. in high school is associated with, gulp, lower scores.

• Teachers in many of the nations that outperform the U.S. on student achievement tests--such as Japan, Denmark and the Czech Republic--tend to assign less homework than American teachers, but instructors in low-scoring countries like Greece, Thailand and Iran tend to pile it on.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1376208,00.html

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:12 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:

• Teachers in many of the nations that outperform the U.S. on student achievement tests--such as Japan, Denmark and the Czech Republic--tend to assign less homework than American teachers, but instructors in low-scoring countries like Greece, Thailand and Iran tend to pile it on.

something is fundamentally different in the U.S. educational system from what is found in the high-scoring countries

what you and Mo have to deal with right now is education in the U.S.

soooooooo - still not abnormal for students, Mo's age, in the U.S. to have the amount of homework he's being assigned

it's certainly a good idea to research and to campaign for better education - but that doesn't change Mo's educational reality right now - as long as you're staying in the U.S.

finding a way to make it work for your family is your job these days
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
ehBeth is right.

Whether the amount of homework is correct or not, it is reality.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:24 am
I didn't question the reality of it, I questioned the normalcy of it.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:33 am
Lots of homework here too - in Jane's elementary school (catholic) it was quite
overwhelming at times, but we managed and had soccer, volleyball additionally -
practice was at school after they did homework there, games on the weekend.

One thing we've started from first grade on was doing homework right after
school. Once Jane was finished, the late afternoon, evening was free for her to
do other things. By now, she actually prefers to get all homework done right
away, so it's out of her mind for the rest of the day/evening.

Good studying habits are so essential throughout their lives, the earlier they
start with good studying/learning habits the better.

Kids in Japan and Europe spend a lot longer in school than American kids -
they usually go until 4:00 or 5:00 pm, and summer vacation is usually 6 weeks
as compared to 12 weeks in the U.S.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:34 am
@boomerang,
I was going to post some of those statistics, but you seem to have done my work for me....

I think there was some couple that successfully sued the school to exempt their kid from homework, due to the empirical studies that show homework as being mostly busywork. All of the other kids in the school still have to do the homework, though.

Edit: It looks like that case was in Canada.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:35 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Kids in Japan and Europe spend a lot longer in school than American kids - they usually go until 4:00 or 5:00 pm, and summer vacation is usually 6 weeks as compared to 12 weeks in the U.S.

this is an important difference - more time IN the classroom probably means less time needed for homework
0 Replies