Is this abnormal for 4th grade homework?

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:39 pm
@boomerang,
Oof.

Sounds like you're handling the whole thing really well.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:19 pm
@boomerang,
Hey Boomer

How did Thurs and Fri at school go for Mo?

Did he settle?

How was the meeting with the Headteacher?

((Boomer))
boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:29 pm
@Izzie,
Aren't you sweet? Thanks for asking.

We had a meeting with the principal today. She was very sympathetic, listen well, talked a good spin, blahblahblah. We didn't get the classroom transfer due to overcrowding but we might get some additional accomodations.

She wants to meet next week with the teacher, the special ed teacher, her and us.

I got home from the meeting and called an attorney who specializes in special education issues.

She wasn't in so I probably won't hear back from her until next week. I doubt we can get her up to speed before the next meeting but I have a feeling she'll be at our next IEP.

I'm tired of being the naive little dolt.
Izzie

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:44 pm
@boomerang,
They will listen more if you have representation, any kind of representation that the school will be answerable to.

Keep advocating for your young man - precisely, consisely and without emotion - focus purely on what you require them to do to make Mo's education work for him and how they will present the education to him so that HE is able to understand... after all "Every Child Matters".

BTW - you're not a bitch... you're his Mom and a brilliant Mom.

and ditto BTW... you're not a bitch - but I do know one of those whose related to me and myself when it comes to raising a SpEd fella Wink Don't give up, OK!

If you get the building blocks in place now, he will have a chance... just keep stacking them up, work with the school as best you can... keep the communication going no matter how hard that may be at times, and if a few of the blocks get knocked down, build them up again until he has strong foundation underneath him... then he'll start to climb a little higher.

You can do it Boomer, you can.

Take good care

x
boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:50 am
@Izzie,
Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it!
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:27 am
@boomerang,
My wife and I have an autistic boy as you might have read already. We have him in several different types of therapy. The most effective of which is Yoga for the Special Child. It teaches him self intervention techniques, self calming techniques, how to recognize when they are needed etc... Something similar may be an option for you if you can find it. The yoga has been a lifesaver at school, as we are still mainstreaming him. Luckily we have had spec-ed teachers who are on top of things and very interactive with us as parents. We have had to go to bat for him a few times however. You just do what it takes to get the best for Mo that's what good mom's do and you by all accounts are an excellent mom.
boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
Is that class offered through a gym or a yoga studio or something? We tried a bit of yoga a while ago and Mo didn't really get into it but I can see how it would be beneficial. Thank you for the suggestion.

I think what really made me mad at the meeting we had is that the principal said "I talked to his teachers and they told me you had asked to have Ms. X as his teacher for this year. That we even knew she was pregant and said we didn't care.

Mr B and I looked at her dumbfounded. We had specifically asked for Mr. Y to be his teacher. I had seen his classroom (not so visually noisy) and asked around about him. I had never even heard of Ms. X.

That made me realize that the teachers were in CYA mode and that they either hadn't been paying attention or that they simply didn't care.

That's the main reason why I called an attorney.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:57 pm
@boomerang,
we lucked into a private teacher. you would really have to search it in your area there really aren't that many. half the time my boy can't stand it, but after 3 years he recognizes now when he needs to self intervene.
http://www.specialyoga.com/
go to licensed practitioners to see if there is something in your area. It a new field so there really aren't that many people.
0 Replies