Would you like to see prescription drug commercials not allowed on TV?

Rockhead

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
@dyslexia,
works for me.

I listen to BOB. he plays everything...

(and NPR of course)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:47 am
@dyslexia,
I'm personally offended by any time/money spent by our legislative bodies on anything so trivial as whether or not the pharmaceutical industry can/should be allowed to market to individuals. If they have time to waste on this **** we should call them all home.
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 12:02 pm
@dyslexia,
And PBS, supported as it is by "the best cancer care anywhere" - if cancer hospitals can advertise, why not the drugmakers?!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm
@JPB,
Yeah, they banned advertising on wine, cigarettes, coffee - and it turns out all of these are better for your health than any of the cancer drugs or the cancer hospitals that administer them: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=prescription-coffee-and-cigarettes
Quote:
Inspired by human studies showing that avid coffee drinkers and smokers have a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease......

That's another reason for the opposition to "health care reform" - the state will pay (it says, using our money, of course) and therefore it has the right to interfere in what it thinks is prevailing medical wisdom. So much of that "medical wisdom" has turned out to be wrong and made people sicker.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 12:14 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm personally offended by any time/money spent by our legislative bodies on anything so trivial .... If they have time to waste on this **** we should call them all home.

I'm generally offended by all nanny state legislation - be it about seatbelts, handguns, drinking, smoking, eating fatty foods, whatever.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 12:49 pm
@High Seas,
of course you know Helen, I will never agree with you but yes you are right.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 01:52 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm conflicted. Usually, these commercials do not contain enough information for patients to understand the trade-offs between existing medications and the advertised ones. That's what the doctors hate. The other side is that all doctors are not current with all the new medications on the market and I don't have any issues with the patient being an active advocate on his own behalf when it comes to his medical care. The same doctors who dislike medical advertisments probably hate the Internet because it allows people to research their symptoms and possibly come to the wrong conclusions, but I think the Internet is an amazing resource when you have medical questions. Advertising may be annoying, but it is often informative and the more information people have, the better end result they get from their doctor visits. As annoying as it is, I think many people who were suffering in silence have seen the light about their erectile dysfunction. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 02:28 pm
As has been pointed out, congress should focus on more important issues - ( like finding out if Roger Clemens took steroids).
High Seas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Clemens has only himself to blame - Congress wasn't planning on a hearing but he foolishly insisted he wanted to "clear his name". Very, very stupid:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/19/clemens-insisted-on-hearing-that-led-to-indictment.html
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:33 am
@High Seas,
Like congress should be engaged in the situation.
High Seas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:40 am
@edgarblythe,
They're innocent on that particular issue - once Clemens started insisting on a hearing, Congress couldn't deny him one.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:47 am
@High Seas,
Bull hockey.
High Seas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 07:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Your opinion on Clemens v US Congress is a wonderful example of free speech. Never let demonstrable facts interfere with it Smile
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@High Seas,
Really?

When do I get my hearing?

I'm willing to wear some revealing clothing and I can be very humorous.

I am quite willing to engage in witty banter with Mitch McConnell or Jim DeMint. I think I could hold my own with those two.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
@High Seas,
High Seas,

I agree. I am generally offended by many of your comments, but don't think they should be illegal.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:37 am
With the unemployment rate alarmingly high already, I'm concerned about the impact banning these commercials will have on square-jawed, lush-eyebrowed, 50-something actors with perfectly symmetrical teeth and their silverhaired female counterparts in their flowing white beach gowns.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:43 am
@Gargamel,
not to mention matching bathtub sales...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:38 pm
@High Seas,
I hope you understand your point. I certainly don't.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:56 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I find those ads pretty funny; they describe all the possible side affects that can be worse than what the drug claims to cure.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:11 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm personally offended by any time/money spent by our legislative bodies on anything so trivial as whether or not the pharmaceutical industry can/should be allowed to market to individuals. If they have time to waste on this **** we should call them all home.

I agree, of course. But wouldn't this be an FCC matter?

I really hate disagreeing with Dys, but I do not think drugs that require a prescription should be marketed to an uneducated public. It is inappropriate and potentially dangerous.