Green Party Sues To Block Fake Candidates

oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBEo0fBW76jtgIopcT2N32cnT5jwD9I3EMHG0

TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Green Party is asking a judge to kick more than half of the group's nominees off the November ballot.

The unusual request, filed in federal court Monday, follows the nomination of 11 candidates allegedly recruited by Republican operatives to siphon votes from Democratic candidates.

Unless the judge intervenes, Arizona voters will be able to vote for a tarot card reader to be state treasurer or a street performer to regulate utilities.

It's all thanks to a little-known provision in state law that allows Green Party candidates to get the party's nomination with just one write-in vote. They don't even have to collect petition signatures.

The candidates say they're serious about changing government and energized to make their voices heard. Democrats claim they're being used as a dirty trick.

In legal filings that sought a swift hearing, the Green Party has labeled the group "sham candidates" and are asking a federal judge to oust them from the November ballot and strike down the obscure law that put them there with so little effort. Democrats have called for a criminal investigation.

"We in the Arizona Green Party want our team to play by the same rules as other teams, and not have somebody in the stands deciding to be a player on our team," party co-chair Claudia Ellquist said in a statement Tuesday.

The current law amounts to "our opponents recruiting field-rushers, and handing them a uniform, and sending them out to disrupt a fair game," Ellquist said.

Democrats and Greens say the 11 disputed candidates don't represent the Green Party and are being used as pawns.

"They're playing games with the voters," said Jennifer Johnson, an Arizona Democratic Party spokeswoman. "This is the ultimate disrespect to the voter, putting up sham candidates who don't represent the party that they're listed with."

Democrats say Green Party candidates attract left-leaning voters, making it tougher for Democrats to get elected.

Steve May, a former state lawmaker running for the Arizona House, acknowledges he helped some of the disputed candidates get on the ballot. He insists he's just trying to help them get their voices heard.

May, 38, lives and frequently hangs out near downtown Tempe's Mill Avenue — a commercial corridor near Arizona State University with an odd mix of chain restaurants, local bars and bohemian culture. His recruits are drifters who also like to hang out on Mill.

The shunned nominees don't like being labeled sham candidates. They insist they're real people with tangible concerns and a legitimate desire to help shape public policy.

"I don't care who I take votes from," said Anthony Goshorn, a 53-year-old state Senate candidate who pilots a pedicab and drives a taxi for a living. "I didn't do this to hurt a particular political party. I did this to help people."

Goshorn, a white-bearded veteran of Mill Avenue, is known as "Grandpa" to the younger drifters he mentors. He said he's frustrated that reporters always want to talk about the political party dispute or the fact that he's homeless.

He just wants to talk about the struggling economy and his desire for lower taxes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 890 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:05 pm
@oralloy,
I heard one of those Republican douches, Steve May, interviewed on NPR. He was so unconvincing about his motives to help these delusional candidates because they're allegedly his friends.

And true, these people are real human beings with real issues, perhaps some of their issue stances are possibly reasonable even but they have no possibility of getting elected. They will have no chance in winning this election and worse they could possibly sway the closest of elections towards the Republicans if majority of the voting public goes to the election polls as usual ~ uneducated and unaware of the candidates running on that election day.
littlek

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, that guy was nauseating.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:25 pm
@littlek,
I wonder if there is any election laws he's violating by setting up this obvious front against the Democratic Party. And I'm not sure but did he make any claims that the Democrats have done a similar thing against the Republicans in the past?

I can't remember if I heard it correctly. The interviewer didn't do a great job challenging May about these allegations and the origins of these fake candidates. I wonder if perhaps their credentials to run for office were even faked themselves....
littlek

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
If you want to listen again: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129756121

I think if there was any wrong-doing, there's still time for people to block all the candidates.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:51 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I wonder if there is any election laws he's violating by setting up this obvious front against the Democratic Party.

Apparently not. From Oralloy's article, it seems that the law itself is to blame:

Quote:
It's all thanks to a little-known provision in state law that allows Green Party candidates to get the party's nomination with just one write-in vote. They don't even have to collect petition signatures.

If the law specifies no minimum for the number of votes a candidate must get before he's on the ballot, and if Republicans use this to strengthen the Green party, I don't see what a judge is supposed to do about it. As much as I would dislike seeing Republicans succeed, it isn't the law's job to protect America's two-party monopoly from competition---either half of it. My suggestion to Democrats: help Libertarian candidates compete with Republicans.

Edit: On second thought, it's the Green Party suing, not the Democratic party. Shouldn't the Green Party have a say against having their candidates chosen by its competitor? This is all very strange.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:33 pm
@Thomas,
I'm thinking in legal terms like residential qualifications for the office and fundraising questions?

It's been brought up that some of these gentlemen are homeless (sans legal address and such).
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It's been brought up that some of these gentlemen are homeless (sans legal address and such).

So? This is a free country. Why would homelessness disqualify anyone from public office? Indeed, I'm pretty sure the homeless dude in Doonesbury did it back in the nineties.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:34 pm
@Thomas,
You do realize that you have to be a citizen of the US to run for office right? That's one form of residential qualification. Others include: police officers and teachers in some cities and states need to have a legal address in their respective potential source of employment so they can qualify for their respective position.

Then there is financial disclosure for the candidates. One must report one's earned income, one's income taxes, and one's assets.

If one is really homeless and the candidate is lying about this legal address, what? Are we to think they are living rent free? It's possible but I doubt it. Did the candidate keep up on her or his state and federal taxes? Etc...?
~
Quote:
How do I register as a candidate for federal office?
If you are running for the U.S. House, Senate or the Presidency, you must register with the FEC once you (or persons acting on your behalf) receive contributions or make expenditures in excess of $5,000. Within 15 days of reaching that $5,000 threshold, you must file a Statement of Candidacy (FEC Form 2) authorizing a principal campaign committee to raise and spend funds on your behalf. Within 10 days of that filing, your principal campaign committee must submit a Statement of Organization (FEC Form 1). Your campaign will thereafter report its receipts and disbursements on a regular basis. Campaigns should download the Campaign Guide for Congressional Candidates and our Candidate Registration presentation for more information on the laws that apply to them.

Quote:
Do I need to disclose my personal financial information?
Yes. Candidates for federal office must file disclosures of their personal finances. Contact the appropriate office for more information: candidates for the US House of Representatives should contact the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct at (202) 225-7103; candidates for the US Senate should contact the Senate Select Committee on Ethics at (202) 224-2981; candidates for US President and Vice President should contact the FEC's Office of General Counsel's General Law and Advice Division at (800) 424-9530. (Personal financial disclosure reports filed by Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates (excluding the incumbent) are available from the FEC's Public Records Office at (800) 424-9530 (press 2).)

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_candidate.shtml

Do you really think these candidates followed these rules? Try and not be too gullible sounding or too much the devil's advocate.... Rolling Eyes

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Do you really think these candidates followed these rules?

1) They are not running for federal office. And since the case revolves around the peculiarities of Arizona election law, I'm not going to assume that federal law is a good proxy for Arizona state law.

2) I don't know if they're following Arizona law. But I'm going to assume they did until someone shows that they broke it. It's called "the presumption of innocence", and I'm granting it to anyone---including politicians I don't like.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:47 pm
@Thomas,
Some of these candidates are running for the House.

And besides, federal election laws trumps state laws when it comes to congressional elections.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Fair enough. Thanks for the correction.
0 Replies