opinions on using marijuana.

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:54 pm
we'll i wanted to see what people have to say on smoking marijuana for recreational purposes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,480 • Replies: 13

Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:55 pm
@methysethy,
it's illegal.
eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:59 pm
@Rockhead,
yeah. it's illegal.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:01 pm
@methysethy,
studies have shown it can lead to gardening
patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:01 pm
@Rockhead,
indeed it is, and sometimes enforcement even reflects that.
0 Replies

Owen phil

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 06:58 am
I don't understand 'why' it is illegal, anyone care to explain?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:54 am
@laughoutlood,
Studies have shown it can also lead to long distance giggle marathons as well.
eoe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
And eating every potato chip within ten miles.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:14 am
I would think the snack food industry would be a stronger proponent. Remember screaming yellow zonkers?

As an old fart who has smoked his fair share in younger years, but doesn't now because 1- it is illegal, and 2 - I can't afford the current costs and wouldn't know where to get it, I will offer an opinion.

From my experience, it is less harmful than alcohol, less addictive, used recreationally.

It would be cheaper.

The current people who profit from alcohol use will fight it's legalization strongly to avoid the competition.

All the moral arguments against it are just as strong against alcohol and tobacco, and they remain legal.

The question of whether any recreational (non medical) drug use should be legal is a valid question. I favor freedom.

There will always be those who profit from other's sufferings with the sale and use of non medical drugs, illegal or otherwise.

That may even apply to medical drugs, given the current state of pharmaceutical advertising.
Khethil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:36 am
There's no reason it should be illegal while other, more-damaging substances remain allowed - its simply inconsistent.
IRFRANK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:23 pm
@Khethil,
That may be true, but unfortunately has little to do with the chances of anything changing. There are powerful forces against it.

Rational thinking and common sense have little to do with our system. There are a lot of people making huge sums of money from it being illegal also.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:27 pm
Where I come from (BC), it is still illegal but cops don't bug you if you have it for recreational use. They only get you if you're trafficking or growing it for trafficking purposes. Long gone are the days when they pulled you over and inspected your car for seeds. At least 30 yrs ago. People smoke it openly on the streets in Vancouver and elsewhere in the Lower Mainland, Whistler, etc. Really, it's become accepted, recreationally.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:32 pm
@IRFRANK,
I'm surprised to see anyone say that they couldn't 'afford the costs' - it's cheaper than ever.

I think one point is that the potency of modern dope (barring ditch Mexican weed, that is) is vastly stronger than the old stuff. It doesn't take very much to get you going.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:59 pm
Mame,

Interesting comment. It is different here in South Carolina. I happened to be in court with my daughter in law a few months ago and a young man was there for just the deal you mentioned. The cops search his car and found a couple seeds in the back seat. Also a pipe. He was arrested for possession and paraphernalia. They dropped the possession charge because someone in the back seat could have dropped the seeds and he ended up paying a $500 fine for the pipe. I thought it was outrageous, but it's not surprising here in SC. Sometimes it seems like it's still 1950. He needed a better lawyer.

I have no idea what the costs are today. I wouldn't know how to buy any anyway. Back in the day, you know, prehistoric, a nickle bag, quarter ounce, was $5. One could get lbs. in Mexico for $20.
0 Replies