What is your best home remedy for ridding the yard of moles?

Rockhead

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:12 am
@ibstubro,
liquid ammonia.

put it in a squeeze bottle. watch for fresh mole activity.

squirt the ammonia in the ground. the moles really don't like it, and can't breath very good. so they come to the surface.

this is where the pellet gun comes into play. (or i s'pose you could do as roger suggested, and whack 'em)

not for the squeamish...
talk72000

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:51 am
I believe I saw a show that mentioned that owls are great in catching and eating moles. Homesteaders in Southwestern states have installed owl bird-houses near their homes.
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm
@talk72000,
I have owls (I hear them hoot), but they don't seem to care for my moles!
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:34 pm
@Rockhead,
If I can see the run move, I can usually shovel the mole out and, as roger suggests, whack it with the backside of the shovel.

I then parade it down to the busy 2 lane highway and pitch it in so that the little bugger and be roadkilled all day as well. No stunned moles making their way back into MY yard!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:46 pm
@ibstubro,
LOL! That is one fine collection. I am sitting here picturing the sun shining in on all that glass and cannot imagine the colors you must see. You must have to wear sunglasses in the house. I do have to say, I am glad I am not the one that has to dust all of that!
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
The last time I counted the things in the front window alone, I stopped at 248. It's divided into 15 panes, and I had glass cut to make shelves to divide the panes 2-3 times. Most of the Victorian tumbler collection is in it, as well as a few rows of glass animals.

Glass mushrooms...I have dozens. I knew I was forgetting things!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:04 pm
@roger,
That's fun!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:04 pm
@ibstubro,
I bet your collection is just beautiful. I have seen some mighty beautiful glass artwork.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:10 pm
You might be interested i this video about genie bottles. The vid is from a TV show called "Collectors" which runs on ABC TV in Australia.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s3008668.htm
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:38 pm
@dadpad,
Thanks, dadpad, that was interesting to watch from another continent.

I hate to tell poor Lavern, though, but most of those bottles STILL sell from 50 cents to five dollars here in the American Midwest. I'd be shocked (and amused) to see one priced over $20 unless it was by a recognized maker, such as New Martinsville or Blenko.

I have people tell me all the time that they are looking for certain things...more times than not they end up telling me I need to cease and desist, they don't-care-if-it's-only-a-dollar!
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:44 pm
@dadpad,
I'm currently watching "Skint" and Wattles" on Collectors, as I haven't the faintest idea what they could be! lol

Thanks again!

(Like I needed more on-line time wasters! Rolling Eyes )
dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:47 pm
@ibstubro,
"Skint" is a slang term for having no money. not so much in use these days but very much so during the depression.

Wattle is a genus of flowering plant. In this case the segment features objects decorated with an association to wattle plants/flowers.

Soory about giving you (another) time waster.
Also you should note that Gordon Brown (one of the presenters) is a Scotsman, thats NOT an Australian accent
ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:36 pm
@dadpad,
Wattle wouldn't load, so it's a good thing you gave me a verbal. lol
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:02 pm
@ibstubro,
I also remember ferrets getting moles.

http://www.molecatchers.com/doesnt_work.html
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:07 pm
cats are good for the mole problem. we have very few moles out at the farm.

but over 100 cats...

(pick your problem, i guess)
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:33 pm
@Rockhead,
100 cats? Yikes! Are you getting them spayed and neutered?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
that will be another thread...
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Ah, I see. Will be looking for it.
talk72000

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Cats....

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 01:22 pm
@talk72000,
**sigh** You don't know how much I wanted to go to New York to see Cats when it opened. Thanx for that video!