Can you prove to your self that you exist

Arjuna

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:41 pm
@Dasein,
Hi Dasein! I remember you... I don't know if you remember me... philforum.

Asking "who am I?" and experiencing the opposites overlapping is definitely a recipe for new ground. Funny you use the word "ground." Check out Meister Eckhart sometime.

Dasein means "being in the world." It's one experience. From the intellect's point of view it's two sides to one coin. But the intellect will find experience of the whole coin inadmissible. What actually keeps a person from experiencing it is emotional anchoring to one side of the coin. That's just an aspect of living an earthly life. There's nothing wrong with it... it's the mechanics of the amazing little play we got going on here.

Yea, you're not alone... many of the characters in the play are like you.

For what it's worth... feel the sensation of your body. Bring your focus out of your head down toward your chest. Notice the sensation at your solar plexus as you breathe... that's where your ribs meet your abdomen... it's pretty cool.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Some really smart person told me this:

"My vision of cause is not against locality itself, but against the idea that local causation excludes universal presence in loco, on the very nature of the agents that relate between themselves..."

You're a pearl, dude. The crusty oyster is necessary. It was all bound to happen. That was the thing I didn't understand. I do now.

Adeus....
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:32 am
shut up hexhammer, you dont know dick
fresco

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:30 am
@Dasein,
Thanks for your reply. However "focusing on the wrong thing" is hardly appropriate. I certainly don't focus on "Heideggar the Nazi" when I read his philosophy. I merely wonder why such an independent thinker..indeed an advocator of "authenticity" ... could fall for and actively promote Nazism .
Now it may suit you not to "wonder", but your usage of "wrong" merely implies rigidity of your compartmentalization.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 04:09 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

shut up hexhammer, you dont know dick
Sounds like you know plenty of that.
JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:42 am
@fresco,
"I merely wonder"

There's your problem and is part of what Heidegger is pointing out. There's no one out there but you fresco, just you. Your wondering does nothing as you can't reach conclusions because you are continuos.....stop arguing with yourself - you exist I promise.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:42 am
@HexHammer,
Yes, you do.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:50 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Yes, you do.
Can you say something intelligent? Please do so.

Well, anyways ..I'll just put you on ignore.
JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:51 am
@HexHammer,
No, you can't.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:52 am
You know it's actually the idea of intelligence that keeps you from it? Did you.......did you know that? Well, now you do. Just fillin' you in man, just fillin' you in. You try.................you do what you can.
0 Replies

DominicRules

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:00 am
The following point relies on the linear progression of time and the validity of memory...I was given a piece of paper yesterday with an equation I did not understand. Today I can conceptualize the equation, but I can remember a time when it existed and I could not understand it. This implies the existence of conscious beings outside of our selves...and thus our own existence?
fresco

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:13 pm
@DominicRules,
Mathematics is a "meta-language". Even this communication in socially acquired "ordinary language" is sufficient to suggest "the existence of others" whence "the existence of self".
Dasein

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:12 pm
@Arjuna,
Dasein is "there be-ing" or "Be-ing there". "Be-ing there resides along side of the world or "in" the world.
0 Replies

DominicRules

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:53 pm
@fresco,
I haven't gone through and decoded all the wordy and "automatically translated" responses yet. Has somebody else already suggested this?
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:49 pm

Quote:
go without air for ten minutes , somewhere before the 10 minutes elapsed you will know

what more proof do you need , really ?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:20 am
Here's how I'd go about it:

Person: Can you prove you exist?

Me: (smacks Person up 'side da head) Any further questions?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:47 am
@FBM,
I can prove you're a stone:

Stones can't fly.

FBM can't fly

ergo

FBM is a stone.

Erasmus Montanus said this is a valid argument.
FBM

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 09:03 am
@Cyracuz,
Erasmus missed it by "only" one word.

(Only stones can't fly.)

Anyway, I was kinda doing a parody of Samuel Johnson's "I refute it thus". Sorry if it was a bit oblique.
Dasein

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 09:35 am
@FBM,
Oh, I get it. You actually think that who you are is that bag of sausage you reside in close proximity of.

Now that's funny!
FBM

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 09:51 am
@Dasein,
Eh...no. It was a parody of Samuel Johnson. See above.

I'm not convinced that entities exist in the way we tend to define them in the vernacular. I don't see anything but labels, empty designators. No selves in the strict sense, just ephemeral, fleeting phenomena reified.
0 Replies