http://www.onlineschools.org/blog/cats-vs-dogs/cats-vs-dogs.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 15
No top replies

chad3006

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:35 am
I'm surprised that you'd stoop to spreading this war mongering propaganda.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:55 am
@GoshisDead,
This infographic is wicked cool! Thanks Gosh! Very Happy
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:32 am
@chad3006,
Dogs rule cats drool, even though I have college degrees and high cholesterol.
chai2

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
Not sure where they got some of this info.

All of the cats I've had ate/eat items other than meat.

Broccoli, pasta, green peppers, lettuce, olives (both green and black) bread, beans, pop corn, tortilla chips etc.
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:22 pm
@GoshisDead,
I guess I've hedged my bets. I've got both, but I’ve still got high blood pressure and a high school diploma.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 01:44 pm
@chad3006,
I'm an avid cat disliker. After the cute kitten stage I just find them annoying.
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:32 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I'm an avid cat disliker. After the cute kitten stage I just find them annoying.

That's because of your lack of a university degree

The extra health benefits of the dog is clearly because you have to WALK the smeggers

I love both...except I have trouble liking little yappy dogs
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:46 pm
@dlowan,
Fact check:
GoshisDead wrote:

Dogs rule cats drool, even though I have college degrees and high cholesterol.

http://able2know.org/topic/161138-1#post-4345496
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:50 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I love both...except I have trouble liking little yappy dogs

One of my neighbors dogs (she had 2) died about a month ago, and she was still dealing with that "never again" sorrow. Her remaining pooch is a HUGE animal, Lexy, who was also greiving for Greta, his "wife".

Tina got a call a couple of weeks ago from a friend saying "Quick! They are going to euthanize this little dog in 4 hours!"
She rushed down there, and adopted Rizty, a long hair chihuahua.

She's such a good little dog, it's a mystery why she was going to be killed. I haven't even heard her bark once! Unlike Lexy, who has to let every other dog being walked that this is "his side of the street".

I was marveling how well behaved this dog was. Tina said "I heard that if you have a small dog, you have to raise it from a puppy as if it was going to be a 50 lb. dog. You would let them get away with jumping up on your legs, barking and so on. There must be something to that, because she doesn't even try to jump against my legs much"

I dunno, makes sense to me.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:55 pm
@chai2,
Amen, if a dog isn't at least 60 pounds its not a real dog. yappy dogs are worse than any cat.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:56 pm
I love dogs, though I have some trouble with the yappy ones
and also the snappy ones.
I love cats, though they cause me to sneeze or wheeze...
but I've never met a Siamese.

Ran across this in the Susan Orlean New Yorker blog yesterday:

August 4, 2010
DOG MEMORY
Posted by Susan Orlean
What I notice the most is the sound, or rather the absence of sounds: I miss the click of Cooper’s nails on the wooden floor, the jingling of his tags (so exasperating at times that we considered buying those rubber jingle-stoppers), and, because he was an itchy dog, the drum-major’s thump-thump-thump as he worked his back leg up and down to scratch behind his ear. I know I will experience phantom dog noises for a while.

Cooper died unexpectedly last weekend, when we were away from home, so it felt very abstract until we got back last night. This morning I thought I heard him stirring in his bed, but it was just the window shade, shifting in a bit of breeze.

If therapists didn’t charge you and were willing to chase sticks, they would be dogs. The kindly and receptive silence, the respect for secrets, the inexhaustible supply of attention—these are a dog’s, and a therapist’s, finest qualities. Dogs, though, are more fun than therapists, more tender, more dear, and certainly more admiring.

Over the last nine years, I’ve written a lot of stories, and now even a book, about animals. Given the endless number of interesting stories there are in the world, I’ve sometimes wondered how I ended up on this particular path. Certainly, I’ve always loved animals and they’re very interesting, and are also an ideal foil for examining the human condition; it all started, though, when I got Cooper, nine years ago, after a dogless decade. I had gotten my first dog when I was in college, and her death, thirteen years later, was drawn-out and deeply sad, and I didn’t think I had the stomach to go through having—and losing—a dog ever again. But of course I wanted one, and when I finally got Cooper, a lovely freckle-faced Welsh Springer Spaniel, the subject of animals—living with them, loving them, hoarding them, using them, and how our relationship to animals says something about who and what we are—was stirred up for me again and again. I’m glad of that. I will certainly not go another decade without a dog, because I know now that even though dogs break your heart, they fill it up, even when they’re gone.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/susanorlean/#ixzz0z4H5A53v
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:01 pm
Re: Cats - some are actually quite stupid. Someone told me that the orange-brown-white ones are the stupidest, but my experience is with a cat named Fluffy who was black & white and and as big as a pillow. He used to sit on a credenza in front of the window and try to jump and swipe at the birds. No matter how many times he'd smush his face into the glass, he'd be back at it, all day long. He'd also sit on top of the fridge and when you opened the door, he'd fall to the floor - dumb, dumb, cat. Other than watching dogs trying to climb a tree after a cat, I've not seen dumb dogs.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:01 pm
actually, all due respect goth, those factoids are pretty meaningless, as far as "what is better, cats or dogs?"

So it says the company of a dog lowers you BP, etc.
But, it doesn't say cats don't

Cat's urine smells more?
So?

Also, again, all due respect, and I've written about this here before...Why do people who don't like cats get to say that, apparantly not expecting hard feelings, but if someone says they don't like dogs, it's horrible?

I don't dislike dogs, but I sure don't like them either. I enjoy them as they are living creatures, and deserve kindness and respect. Same as any other animal.
What if I hated dogs? What if I said puppies are tolerable because they are slightly less annoying? Actually, puppies are way more annoying than adults dogs, IMO, but that's another story.

Who cares if you like dogs or cats, neither or both?
I'm trying to figure out if you think this makes you somehow better.

I'll tell you what, I'm really not fond of birds, unless they are doing their own thing, out in nature. No parrots or canaries for me thanks.

Who's business is that though? Just mine.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Amen, if a dog isn't at least 60 pounds its not a real dog. yappy dogs are worse than any cat.

Oh, I see.

You're just being an ass hat.

carry on.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:07 pm
@chai2,
I like to keep my head warm
0 Replies