Tramp Art was a popular form of folk art 1870 to 1940

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
Tramp Art was a popular form of folk art that flourished in America from the 1870's to the 1940's. It took many forms, mostly functional but some purely aesthetic: its creators notched, layered, and whittled picture frames, elaborate boxes, and even full-sized furniture pieces. The most common materials for making tramp art were cigar boxes and wood from disassembled crates.

The term "tramp art" was not used to identify this type of folk art until the 1950's, even though by then its production had all but stopped (largely, some think, because of a decline in cigar smoking and thus a decrease in the availability of cigar boxes). The lore persists that tramp art was made by wandering souls, largely anonymous, and that the fruits of their labors were bartered for food and shelter. Wile there is some truth to this, many who produced tramp art were skilled craftspeople who devoted major amounts of time to their creative pursuits. Most tramp art is unsigned and undated, adding to the mystique surrounding it.

The history of hobo is also included:

http://www.folkartisans.com/sup/tramhist.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:16 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This is some unexpectedly elaborate art. I'll take a longer look at the style and work after work today.

Thanks for the introduction BBB. Smile
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:41 am
@tsarstepan,
I discovered tramp and hobo art while I was creating an internet site called "What is Art?" during the 1990s. I went out the side of usual limits in art by including every type of art you can imagine. For example, women's domestic hand work art that is rarely given credit, the art of landscaping, body art, domestic are from around the world, cave painting, etc. Every art piece was accompanied with information I wrote about the artist. You get the idea that I was searching for all kinds of art. It was a wonderful search for the work of talented, but many unknown people.

Sadly, after it gained a lot of fans, four years later the company in which presented What is Art? went out of business without any warning to me. All of my research and work was lost. It broke my heart.

So I had to be satisfied with my own paintings in my home.

This is a little of the last trace of my work, but it's no longer available to see:

Reviewer comments:

What is Art? ~ An online gallery providing viewing of a rather broad array of works and ideas about what art is. The What Is Art? Gallery is an eclectic, serendipitous art experience presented for your enjoyment and art education by BumbleBeeBoogie, who is your gallery tour guide and commentator. Technical assistance is provided by Butrflynet and Paradise Towers' Mohaim.

BBB

0 Replies