Building Blocks of Philosophical Thought

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:56 am
@Khethil,
excellent post well written
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:58 am
And thanks to those with comments about the electron microscopes. I will investigate.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:40 am
@north,
north wrote:

Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Fido wrote:

Care to be more specific, because I do not remember offering reasoning, but only saying what is obvious...

emotionaly

Emotions are examples of moral forms, as are qualities like mind and consciousness... There are scientists who look for some being of these forms in the matter of the brain, but they are essentially meanings without true being, and we live our lives thick with such moral forms which are meanings only without being, and science works at finding the meaning of beings, like that of gold compared to lead... Which is light work... If you want to really be a philosopher you have to wade in where reason is not worth its weight in words....

you are way off base

Given what I know of philosophy, I am not way off base... The problem as I see it is that my thought is not too original, though I came by it on my own... It seems to be in line with the phenomenology and philosophy of Heidegger of the last century, but I consider that it was inevitable given the limits of our knowledge.. Of physics we can say we know, and of morals we can say we feel; and certainty in morals will always be a chimera...
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:42 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I like this:

* Curiosity: Where one realizes their interest in <whatever>
* Self-Assessment: What do I know? Think I know or Believe?
* Investigation: Read and Learn about the conclusions others before you came to
* Ponder/Marinate: Let all before you coalesce in your mind. Critically examine what your mind tells you with the validity of others
* Initial decision: What you believe, what you know, what rings true and fits with what you recognize as true, meaningful and valid.
* Share: Share with others your thoughts, process and conclusions.

Thanks - there's probably quite a bit one could add in there. These are what hit me as most important.

I really think its important for folks to keep in mind that its more of a personalized experience than any hard-wired path of academia or anachronistic thought. There's much to be had and enjoyed for the betterment of our lives in the here and now.

Thanks
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:08 am
So.... could there be a predisposition to philosophical thought? I mean a personality for it.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:14 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
So.... could there be a predisposition to philosophical thought? I mean a personality for it.

Sure. They're called "nerds".
littlek

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
@Thomas,
All nerds aren't philosophers and all philosophers aren't nerds. Or am I mistaken?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:24 am
I could be a philosopher but I can't imagine having a personality.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:24 am
@littlek,
No you're right, littlek. But then again, we were talking about a predisposition, not an identity between the two classes of people.

That said, although I can think of many non-philosopher nerds, I couldn't think of any non-nerd philosopher off the top of my head. Can you?
Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:35 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

littlek wrote:

Sure. They're called "nerds".

I am not a nerd... I am an odd ball... One must be unsocial, extremely rational where others are emotional, or emotional to the point that emotions threaten to overwhelm, and so must be grasped, examined, reasoned out, and understood... What is evident is seldom obvious, and is only learned in time, that people are all people, feel the same feeling, and sharing the same goals... We all seem different, and all have most qualities in common, and no one gets that understanding without empathy, which is a dangerous condition, because to know the emotions of others is to feel a lot of pain...To be empathic forces a nearly hermitic existence on one to avoid being sucked into the lives of others while trying to live ones own... The one who wants to be a recluse and a hermit is a good candidate for philosophy... No one will ever be a moralist without being touched by the frustration and pain of humanity, and when it gets to be enough it is too much to bear... We hurt... When humanity kicks humanity, humanity feels the pain... That is the human condition, that having lost the sense of the human family we must approach all as enemies, and fear those we might love were we able to know and show our humanity...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:38 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

All nerds aren't philosophers and all philosophers aren't nerds. Or am I mistaken?
Your conclusion is correct... Philosophy sets a person apart, but it is not a nerdly profession...I was never nerd, though I spent much time as a dude, but philosophy is hardly dudely enough for any true dude...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:55 pm
@Thomas,
I can't think of ANY philosophers from recent history, really. Nerd to me implies science and math more than philosophy which seems outside of science and math.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:42 pm
@littlek,
Interesting. Now you've made me wonder if my usage of the word "nerd" is mistaken. Off to check some dictionaries ....
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:45 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

i would say a predisposition for philosophy would be primarily romantic idealism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:45 pm
@Thomas,
the def according to The Dys. Nerd=anyone wearing a pocket-protector.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:21 pm
@Thomas,
Hmmmmm .....

There seems to be an interesting distinction between "official" dictionaries and Web authorities. "Official" authorities take a pretty harsh view on us nerds. To Mirriam-Webster, for example, a nerd is "an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially: one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>" .

Web references, by contrast, think of us in less pejorative terms---possibly because their authors tend to belong to our tribe themselves. They de-emphasize the social-dysfunction aspect and focus on the intellectual aspect instead. To Wikipedia, "Nerd is a term that refers to a person who avidly pursues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavors, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities."

Bridging the two worlds, The New Hacker's Dictionary, my favorite reference for computer-wizard jargon, suggests that the web references' definition is a conscious play on the "official" definition:
  1. [mainstream slang] Pejorative applied to anyone with an above-average IQ and few gifts at small talk and ordinary social rituals.
  2. [jargon] Term of praise applied (in conscious ironic reference to sense 1) to someone who knows what's really important and interesting and doesn't care to be distracted by trivial chatter and silly status games."
As an aside: Whenever I call you a "nerd", which I think I do quite frequently, I always mean it as an emphatic compliment in the sense of the Jargon File's definition #2. I have so internalized that definition that I totally forgot about #1. It never occurred to me that the word I was calling you could be perceived as even remotely derogatory.

Derogatory or not, though, none of these definitions confines nerds to science and technology. All of them allow for a much broader spectrum of interests. Among the interests listed in the definitions, philosophy certainly qualifies as "an intellectual or academic pursuit", a relatively "obscure interest", an "unconventional activity", as well as "really important and interesting". It's the perfect occupation for nerds, whatever ones definition of "nerd".
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:25 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

1) define philosophy mental masturbation
2) list of 3-5 building blocks good weed, some black light posters, a copy of Meddle by Pink Floyd
north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:20 pm

to see things as they are rather than what we want them to be
Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:01 pm
@north,
north wrote:

to see things as they are rather than what we want them to be

What happens if the way they are is the way you want them to be... I want things to be as they are, but I do not accept that everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds... If you get my drift; it is not how I want them that counts, or what ever I think Ideal; but what works for people, and they ultimately should have that control over the forms in their lives...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:03 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

littlek wrote:

1) define philosophy mental masturbation
2) list of 3-5 building blocks good weed, some black light posters, a copy of Meddle by Pink Floyd

And a good time was had by all...
0 Replies