Should I buy it?

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:06 am
This is a thread about things you wanna buy, but likely can’t really justify, but might well have fun with, but then again might well collect dust!

I own a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, it’s a fine camera (for what it is) however because of its large body and honking big zoom it’s not something you can put in your pocket, or auto glove compartment, or work desk drawer, or motorcycle etc. Also surprisingly my Canon PowerShot S2 IS cannot take close photos as well as my wife’s newer, much smaller Canon PowerShot A590 IS.

So that brings me to the Canon PowerShot A495 as it’s $96.00 (Canadian $) until September 8. http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=51767&vpn=4260B005&manufacture=Canon&promoid=1053

What are wanting to buy, but likely can’t really justify, but might well have fun with, but then again might well collect dust?

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:16 am
The A2K gerbils put this thread in "Electronics, Consumer Advice" when in fact it's a thread about things you wanna buy, but likely can’t really justify, but might well have fun with, but then again might well collect dust!

Ah well, I guess this thread will die on the vine...a sad, lonely and short existence.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:19 am
@Chumly,
When I consider buying a camera, I have a different set of priorities then what the typical camera buyer. I don't consider size and portability. I'm more concerned with the quality of the lens, shutter lag and camera speed, the picture quality and the user friendly nature of the camera.

I can't compromise the above attributes for portability's sake.
Here's a trusted source for tech reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-a495-silver/4505-6501_7-33948040.html

It seems to be a decent price for a camera that should only get the rare/casual use. Sounds like it's a camera that eats up a lot of batteries so take out the batteries when the camera sits in the utility kitchen drawer.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:21 am
@Chumly,
I removed my tags from the thread. Didn't know what else to tag the thread.

thread about things you wanna buy, but likely can’t really justify, but might well have fun with, but then again might well collect dust! is a tad too long for the 30 character maximum tag limit. Razz
Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
My criteria for camera purchase is dependent on usage, the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you rings true. I'm not looking for advice because in truth, it's frivolous consumerism, perhaps not unlike a lot of people's purchases.

BTW, I never tag anything, nor vote on anything etc. I don't like this tagging-voting format at all. I much prefer vBulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/ It's more robust and intuitive, plus because it's in such common usage, it's much easier overall.

This "new" A2k format blows.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:39 am
I wanna buy a 60s vintage Mustang convertable and completely tart it up with an excellent paint job with flames!!!!

Since I really only use my car to cart Mo to sports and pets to the vet it doesn't make a lot of sense.

(Who says girls don't get to have a mid-life crisis?)
Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 10:41 am
@boomerang,
Flames!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:11 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
... I own a Canon PowerShot S2 IS ...

I own this exact model as well!

Bought it after I retired in 2006, thinking to make a real hobby out of photography, but have since lost interest.

I now regret having spent as much as I did. I bought it at London Drugs.
Irishk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:59 am
@Chumly,
I want to buy this Toshiba laptop only because it has a blu ray writer and I could back up our blu ray movie collection. Can't really justify it, though. Well, maybe a little. No, not really.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm
@Irishk,
Your thinking small Irishk!
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/desktop-alienware/desktop-alienware-highlights/alienware-area-51-alx-hero-top.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/kbojrs.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/10hrrm8.jpg

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm
@Reyn,
I bought mine at London Drugs too...small world!

You are suffering from buyer's remorse (the feeling of regret after a purchase) and the only cure is to buy something else and feel good about that for awhile...until buyer's remorse sets in again and of course the only cure for that is to buy something else...until buyer's remorse sets in again and of course the only cure for that is to buy something else...until buyer's remorse sets in again and of course the only cure for that is to buy something else...until buyer's remorse sets in again and of course the only cure for that is to buy something else...
Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:15 pm
@Chumly,
Laughing

You want to buy a slightly used camera? C'mon, you can use a second one of the same kind!
Irishk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wow. Just wow. Mr.Irish would have me committed. (Might be worth it lol)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:14 pm
@Reyn,
My wife says I just love to collect stuff, but I reply that:

I spend little on my hair (she cuts my hair while she goes to one of the most expensive hair salons on a regular basis).

I spend zero on colone and aftershave (she buys all sorts of fancy scents, me I hate using anything with scent).

I spend nothing on skin care products except my electric razor (but she buys Nivea and an assortment of overpriced goops).

I spend little on clothes and shoes (but she goes to up-scale boutiques while I am fine with the usual department store stuff).

I spend little on eye-wear except cheap reading glasses (but she buys designer frames and requires both prescription glasses and contacts).

I spend noting on fancy unmentionables (but she has a nice collection).

I spend nothing on makeup (but she likes the expressive stuff).

My vehicles costs are half of hers as she runs all about town with various mothers, or drives around looking at stuff, or goes to myriad shops for whatever; whereas I just do internet research and then mail-order to the front door.

Any-who I do not begrudge her indulgences, but I realize my purchases of cameras, computer gear, calculators, music gear etc are much in keeping with her costs.

Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:01 pm
@Chumly,
I have to base this on your numerous anti-wife posts, but maybe the two of you should just buy a divorce and move on.
chai2

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:11 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I have to base this on your numerous anti-wife posts, but maybe the two of you should just buy a divorce and move on.

I gotta agree with you greenwitch.

anyway, why are you trying to justify spending money on this camera by using her as your scapegoat?

If you were to wait 3 months, then consider buying it, would you still want it Just As Much?

I doubt it.

If you have to justify getting something, don't.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:45 pm
Don't let me stop your misplaced snap-judgment musings my dears, given that at some very modest level it provides entertainment.
chai2

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:56 pm
@Chumly,
Not a snap judgement Chumly.

If it's at "some very modest level" that entertainment is gained, why would you waste your money on it?

You asked, that's my opinion.

You talk about snap judgements?

Like trying to decide "Right Now" if you should get some very modest entertainment value, as opposed to not making a snap decision, and most likely not get the silly thing?

I think you're projecting what you're feeling on someone who is saying "just wait"

As far as you thinking GW and I are making snap judgements about your wife, well....

you do complain about her a lot, and you ARE using her in this thread to justify your whim to go out and spend money.

Do whatever you want, but don't ask if you don't want to hear answers.

"Should I buy it?"

No.
Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:41 pm
@Chumly,
I've replied to your PM. Let me know, okay?
Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:18 pm
@Reyn,
I got your PM and I'll get back to you this evening if that's OK! I'm going to watch "Slither" I think it's a SF movie but I do not know anything much about it.
0 Replies