What do we KNOW about planned obsolescence?

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 08:53 am
Hi everyone, i'm a university student from Denmark.
Me and a group of smart people are writing about planned obsolecence, and, while we have much luck finding semi-conspiratorial videoes and blog posts about it, we have yet to find any good sources.
This leads to my question; do you know of any good sources on the subject (so far we only have "Made to Break" by Giles Slade) or have any experience with the subject first-hand? (maybe through engineering, marketing, journalism, anything) we are in need of good sources here!

Any help will be duely appreciated - Mads and the research team
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,963 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:59 pm
@Madsovic,
Raqymond Loewy , a designer of the 1940'through the late 1980's (I believe he died in the 1990"s) and Brooks Stevens , gave life to the concept in autos in the US. The term of planned obsolescence goes back earlier but Stevens defined it in furniture and autos (Loewy and he did the coke bottle and the STudebaker , and severqal other designs) The idea was to create consumer desire by the manufacturere always promoting a product that was a little newer than the previous model.
Cars were the major product in which planned obsolescence was built in to the design

Id go look up Brooks Stevens and Raymond Loewy.

The recent series "MAd MEn" was about advertising industry execs who lived in the years where planned obsolescence was a given in design.
Thats where somke of these godawful kitchen colors like beige and avocado came about. They were design colors in appliances that , once installed, immediately doomed a room to about a 10 year duration of life when the household leader would want to "remodel" and buy new appliances (the next colors were black and metal)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What do we KNOW about planned obsolescence?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:12:31