So who should be #1? And who should play in the Sugar Bowl?

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:07 pm
We just got spoiled by the greatest college championship game ever played, last year...

Miami vs. Ohio State.

The only thing I wish is that USC coulda played LSU. Anywhere.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:11 pm
See my formula above. It's not pure realignment, most of the conferences will be the same - it's that the cream puff ones will have some charge put into them so that they would have justification......

As Bob Stoops said, make it a rule at the beginning of the year and we will play by it.......
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:12 pm
No disadvantage for Michigan to play USC in the Rose Bowl. Probably more Michigan fans there than USC fans, escaping the bad weather. By the way, the Rose Bowl is UCLA's home stadium.

I've been to three Rose Bowls that Michigan lost, and this loss was not unexpected. A lot of those kids are midwestern boys that have never been that far from home before. They get all star struck by the change of scenery, the people, the weather, the mountains, the beaches, the cars. And then they play lackluster football. Nothing new.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:20 pm
Wish there was a formula for "lackluster football"....

One thing for sure, it is wrong to have a game 4-6 weeks after the last game, that's another thing that needs to be cured Exclamation
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
By the way, the Rose Bowl is UCLA's home stadium.

Still in CALIFORNIA though right? They are the University of Southern CALIFORNIA right? Quite an advantage for the team from CALIFORNIA.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:31 pm
PDiddie wrote:
We just got spoiled by the greatest college championship game ever played, last year...

Miami vs. Ohio State.

The only thing I wish is that USC coulda played LSU. Anywhere.

It was a very VERY good National Title, but I wouldn't say the best. The best in my opinion was the 1982(I think) National Title with Nebraska playing Miami, and Nebraska goes for two at the end of the game to win! What balls Tom Osbourne showed on that night! Even though he didn't make it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:40 pm
If USC had any home field advantage it was because of the presence of their full band. That fight song is enough to make any non-USC fan (and some of their own) nauseaus.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
Couldn't agree more, cjhsa, re the USC fight song, or whatever that relentless riff is that they keep playing. Must be inspiring to be in that college band...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:43 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If USC had any home field advantage it was because of the presence of their full band. That fight song is enough to make any non-USC fan (and some of their own) nauseaus.

I too agree on that one.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
cjhsa wrote:

This is true of any major University's fight song, IMHO. They just drone on and on and on.......

BTW, the OU fight song words are tremendously nauseating to boot:

Quote:
BOOMER SOONER!
(The University of Oklahoma Fight Song)

Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner
Boomer Sooner, O K U

Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, O K U

I'm a Sooner born
and a Sooner bred
and when I die
I'll be Sooner dead!

Rah, Oklahoma!
Rah, Oklahoma!
Rah, Oklahoma! O-K-U!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:46 pm
I love the Sooner fight song, Sooner dead indeed.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
But, the 150th time in the last 20 minutes, yech!!!!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:00 pm
Michigan and Notre Dame have decent and original fight songs. USC's is the worst by far.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:29 pm
Is this a winner Question Time will tell -

Quote:
Friday, January 9, 2004

Associated Press
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Bill Callahan is the new coach at Nebraska, ending a long search to fill the vacancy at one of college football's premier programs.

The former Oakland Raiders coach was introduced at a news conference Friday.

"This is a very exciting moment in my life," Callahan said. "My vision for this program is to take its success and improve upon its success."

Callahan succeeds Frank Solich, who was fired after ending the regular season 9-3.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:49 pm
Im a Nebraska fan, and Im pretty satified with the selection. Big Bill isn't the greatest mind in football, but he can motivate a player to give it his all. I don't know how he will do in the recruiting process, but I'm sure he can bribe the recruit with Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Rod and Charles Woodson autographs.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:12 pm
I just love it when when people who have coached me make the news

Barry Alvarez was my coach in High School.

And then there is some discussion about huskers

0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
CotL, I have heard that one of Callahan's best talents from the past is recruiting - and to get people to Nebraska, you gotta be good Smile
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:00 pm
Prestige baby, it's all about Prestige!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
Tradition Smile
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:07 pm
Yep, Nebraska has it all!