So who should be #1? And who should play in the Sugar Bowl?

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:48 am
Last night was a good night - I'm a Big 12 fan Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:03 am
As I said earlier, I think USC got screwed.

I understand the mechanics of the deal -- but I still consider it a screwing.

If USC wins its game, I expect co-national champions.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:05 am
By the by...

...I've been a dedicated pro-football fan for many, many years -- and have considered the college game a distant second best.

It ain't that way anymore.

The college game is terrific -- and arguably more exciting than the pro game.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:05 am
USC - LSU - OU

Leave the one out that would not be screwed Question
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:11 am
BillW wrote:
USC - LSU - OU

Leave the one out that would not be screwed Question

Don't hafta.

It's the system that is flawed.

Someone would have gotten screwed!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
My plan - but would never happen:

1. Country divided into 16 team conferences that are sub divided into two 8 team divisions.

2. Division champions play each other to decide conference champions.

3. Now you have an 8 team playoff to determine the champion - call these the "major" bowls.

4. Four other games outside of division against traditional rivals, other home state teams and traditional powers of ones own choosing that don't affect standings. Of course, early season warmup games against easy teams to get chemistry and timing down will be inserted here.

5. Teams that aren't in the championship series play other season ending games ("minor" bowls) as matched up.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:33 pm
Sounds good to me.

I've come to love college football -- and the more games available, the better I like it.

It could become too commercial -- but in reality, it already is. This is not about college -- but about football.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:51 pm
And, if I may, about kids. The only thing that gets in the way of the game is ego -
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:19 am
BillW wrote:
My plan - but would never happen:

1. Country divided into 16 team conferences that are sub divided into two 8 team divisions.

2. Division champions play each other to decide conference champions.

3. Now you have an 8 team playoff to determine the champion - call these the "major" bowls.

4. Four other games outside of division against traditional rivals, other home state teams and traditional powers of ones own choosing that don't affect standings. Of course, early season warmup games against easy teams to get chemistry and timing down will be inserted here.

5. Teams that aren't in the championship series play other season ending games ("minor" bowls) as matched up.

I don't know about nationwide realignment, but I think the NCAA will switch to something similar to that in a few years.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:59 am
I kinda doubt it. It appears that there maybe a form of "Championship" Bowls; but, until there is equality in determining who qualifies and how, the system will always be a sham.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:28 pm
With all that said, Im still watching all the major Bowl games.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
USC made their case.

This Sugar Bowl is jumping early...

Now 21-7 Tigers in the third after the interception. They have the momentum.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:27 am
Looks like OU didn't deserve the birth.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:44 am
I read in the NY Times today that the BCS chief acknowledges that the system has to be tweaked. His idea is to have a committee of some sort pick the teams that play the big game, kind of how the NCAA basketball draw is created. Another idea would be eliminate teams that aren't conference champs--this wouldhave kept OU out this year.

IMHO, if they're going to have a committee pick the teams, it will lead to just as much controversy as there ever was. Why not go back to the two polls making their picks, as in pre-BCS days? That's what happened this year, anyhow...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:18 pm
Ahhh...I'm reasonably happy with the way things turned out.

USC has half the National Championship -- and I think most people realized they probably should have played in the Sugar Bowl

But the Rose Bowl worked out -- and the chinks in the BCS armor were made evident -- and probably will be worked over.

Gotta look at the silver lining!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:08 pm
Oh how I HATE LSU!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:37 pm
Can't really hate, I do wish OU came to play four quarters though. My brother who lives in Louisiana called me to say how bad OU looked and how great LSU looked. I pointed out that OU almost won - so OU's worst was almost as good as LSU's best Question

In my opinion, in LSU's last series where the ruled the pass and incompletion, it was a completion. He had caught the ball, took a stwp, was hit and fumbled. But, that said, it is history and past -

Congratulations to LSU and USC. I remember from the game that OU, LSU and USC all have very young teams! Provided that not many go to the pro's, next year could be very interesting.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:40 pm
Agreed, Bill.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:54 pm
I don't think that the major BCS Bowl games should be played in one of the competing teams home states. It was a HUGE disadvantage for OU to play in New Orleans against LouisianaSU, same for Michigan against USC. It just isn't fair.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 01:27 pm
Luck of the draw CoL, I hear what you say; but it is the luck of the draw.

I always appreciate a game where both teams come to play. I don't think I saw a single Bowl game this year where both teams were on top of their game. If a team is on top of their game, it doesn't matter where the game is played........
0 Replies