kebab vs gyro vs shawarma

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:41 pm
Is there a difference between kebabs, gyros and shawarmas? I'm sure the differences are regional but can kebabs be on both a bun and some kind of wrap? I think gyros have thicker pita type wraps compared to the thin shawarma ones. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 19,860 • Replies: 14
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:51 pm
The difference is linguistic. KEbab is a Persian word. Gyro is Greek and Shawarma was originally Turkish but both words mean turned.

These dishes began because fuel is scarce in the Middle East.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@plainoldme,
But gyro meat is seasoned and cooked differently then kebabs. Can't say I'm too familiar with Shawarmamamamamamas.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:58 pm
@brokencdplayer,
never ate a shawarma. They eny good?

m not nuts about gyros. Too industrial looking for me. I dont like the idea of a wheel o' meat bein fucked with and continuously manhandled handled in its interminable ride from farm to factory to freezer .

Kebabs are good if I make em.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
@farmerman,
Oh Schwarma is so good

It is spiced in more of middle eastern style. Nutmeg, allspice, clove, cardamom.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Kebab could be udder cut into cube bits. They are tasty with spices. Kebabs you can get in India, Middle East and Persia. or Little India.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
Shwarma's, or at least the ones I've eaten, have a lot of garlic and a yummy, salty beet pickle wrapped with spicyish beef or chicken wrapped in a pita. I believe this is a Lebanese version of the ubiquitous meat on a stick dish.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:30 pm
Originally, kebabs included both braised meat and meat roasted on a stick. Eventually, the meaning was limited to meat cut into small pieces and roasted. Spices are additions and while they vary from nation to nation, they probably vary from cook to cook. The commonality all three share is being roasted on a stick.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@plainoldme,
I like cuy, its all dark meat on a stick.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:05 pm
One thinks of the Monty Python skit about the theater concession vendor walking up and down the aisles offering "stormy petrel on a stick".
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
ALBATROSS!!.

ITS BLEEDIN SEABIRD FLAVOR
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:39 pm
I never knew kabobs to have a particular seasoning? Meat and veggies on a stick over a fire in the US Midwest.

Gyro's are awesome, and it's mostly in the seasoning. If they can make rat smell and taste like that, I'm in. J/k. I'm non meat.

Shawarmas I have yet to meet, but they could be my new best friend. Greek soft tacos, from the description. If there's a place that makes them with fish, I'm all aboard.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
This is a shawerma to me:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Shawarma_ad_Istanbul_(01.10.2008).JPG

Note the different usages in different countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma#Around_the_world
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:24 am
Gyros is Greek seasoned meat, lamb based.

Schwarma is a spice. You can have chicken, pork or beef schwarma.

Kabob is a cooking term, meaning skewered on a stick.
ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks, Punkey!
0 Replies