Thieves can be real jerks! X-p

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:57 am
Some Thieves Steal Much More Than Money
by ALAN GREENBLATT

http://i38.tinypic.com/15f6hj8.jpg

August 30, 2010
Someone took Sam's handprint.

Sam Goldstein was 3 when he stuck his hand in cement to make a Father's Day present. He was 8 when, earlier this month, the handprint was stolen from the front steps of his house in Providence, R.I.

"I didn't always notice it when we left the house," Sam told his mother, "but I always noticed it when we got home again, because when I looked at it I knew it was home."

Amy Pickworth, Sam's mother, knows that there are far worse things that could have happened. Still, when a highly personal item gets stolen, it's a hard loss to take. Something's been disturbed that should have been protected.

"It seemed like one of those forced life lessons," Pickworth says. "This isn't the way I wanted him to learn that the world isn't always a nice place. There's no way to script that so it doesn’t hurt."

For the rest of the article:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129525652

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,065 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:19 am
Aaaack!

I had a smallish (oh, 10" dimensions) concrete dog sculpture, a gift, stolen from my front porch. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I felt. And that was not so precious as this handprint "step" by the boy...
0 Replies