the American mortgage market

fansy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:40 am
Quote:
As in recent weeks, the markets moved in wild swings — sharp drops were followed by steep gains and vice versa — underscoring the uncertainty. Investors weighed concerns that losses in the American mortgage market would deepen and spread against their faith in the ability of a strong global economy to withstand additional shocks.

Does "the American mortgage market" refer to the American subprime mortgage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,196 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:17 am
No, it refers to the American mortgage market.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:20 am
@fansy,
It refers to the marketplace where mortgages are bought and sold by banks and institutions. Subprime loans are traded in this market, but it includes other types of mortgages as well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:49 am
@engineer,
True! The biggest problem I see for our future is the increasing numbers of home owners getting behind in their payments that continues to exacerbate the insecurity of our financial markets. As long as unemployment and reduced hours continue on for several more years, more homeowners are going to fall behind in their payments.

The government's plan to "save" homeowners will not work; they only increase the government debt on property that becomes less valuable.

The swings in the stock market doesn't mean much when the domestic economy continues to lose workers.
0 Replies