Is the grammar correct again?

fansy

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 05:32 pm
Quote:
“They’re all trying to minimize their legal exposure,” Susan Sturm, a law professor at Columbia University, said about colleges and universities. “The question is how are they doing that, and are they doing that in a way that’s going to shut down any effort or any successful effort to diversify the student body?”

I doubt if the grammar here is correct, should it be "The question is how they are doing that, and they are doing that in a way ... student body."?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
@fansy,
I think Sturm is asking a two part question:
1. How are institutions of higher learning trying to minimize their legal exposure, and,
2. Are they doing so at the cost of diversification in their student bodies?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:37 pm
Lazy (hurried?) writing. My rewrite should show one way to handle quoted questions:

Quote:
Speaking of colleges and universities, Susan Sturm, a law professor at Columbia said “They’re all trying to minimize their legal exposure.” She said that the question was "How are they doing that, and are they doing that in a way that’s going to shut down any effort or any successful effort to diversify the student body?”

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:43 am
@fansy,
The grammar looks "wrong" because this is reported speech which does not always conform to neat rules. If Sturm were writing about the issue herself she would be obliged to put something like : "there is the question of how they are doing that, and whether they are doing it in a way.............body".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:39 am

It's a liitle bit loose, but remember it's reported speech. We don't always speak in excellent grammar- sometimes for sound reasons, e.g. brevity.

I would say "... how are they doing that...." is an actual question.

"...how they are doing that..." is not a question, in itself.

I think the original is okay, in the register and context in which it was being used.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:25 pm
@fansy,
No, this is NOT reported speech, nor is it lazy hurried writing.

Reported speech does not use quotation marks because reported speech is not a direct quotation, which this obviously is. When someone is quoted directly, there is no change made to anything that the original speaker says; hence direct quotation.

There is nothing grammatically wrong with what the law professor said. The normal neutral is to not have a grammatical question form in a statement. We are not compelled to always follow that normal neutral. There are situations, like this one, where the speaker may wish to make it more emphatic, sort of a,

The question is -- how are they doing that ...

0 Replies