Was Orwell or Huxley right?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:01 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Then why are you on this thread? You are so lame.
Because I am old, relatively, when I went through school we actually read books, to include these two books.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:46 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Its rather amazing...

I think Imagination doesn't grow nearly as much when its not 'needed'. By feeding images, scenarios and characters directly into a kid's head, he lives childhood dreams feed through the tube - rather than conceived with his own mind; rather than child's play being an "endeavor", its fed zombie like.

But this is SO appealing to today's parents who'll take any opportunity to not have to spend time with them, or monitor their independent play. "Sit down, shut up and drool quietly while I <whatever>". Sad

This is to say nothing of commercials, inculcating morality, installation of hero figures and the litany of children's programming that aims at marketing toys and gadgets; all which have an end result of reducing the need for imagination and creativity. Growing the perfect stupid consumer.

Ugh... I gotta stop now

Imagination is a wonderful thing, and creativity too; but if I made the bombs today I used to make just to see something explode when I was a kid; some one would throw me into a federal pen...I was lucky I didn't blow my damned head off... I set off a pipe bomb many years ago, and wondered where the pieces of it may have gone, and I happened to look up and see a one foot piece of three quarter inch pipe hundreds of feet in the air head out of sight to the East... Sunovabich... Lucky for me, the place was sparcely populated and idiots like me were not too numerous...I could have used a few more brain cells and a lot less of imagination...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
How about a situation were everyone has high tech and only a handful actually knows how to make it work...Dependency adds up to an unequal relationship, imo...Tell the kid he can't have it until he can tell you how it works... And no bush about muffler bearings...
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Wow imagine that good socialization skills from socializing
A good chunk of modern socialization for kids now happens via technology. If they are being deprived of technology and regular access to technology then they are stunted. This is what the other parents are trying to tell you, and they are correct.

A good part of their socialization skills are electronic and if you noticed they are not deprived of socialization electronically. What the parents are referring to and I should I know as I am the one talking to them, is that they are being deprived of the passive entertainment of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, Guitar Hero, and World of Warcraft. Can you actually argue that productive, esteem building, quality socialization happens with that? The T.V. provides no interaction and the Game Console provides a possibility of interaction, the quality of which is inferior to more preferable forms.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:52 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Was Orwell or Huxley right? Huxley=soma=peyote.

I hate peyote... Too much stricknine makes me feel like a rat...

I am not sure I liked any of that crap, and I am pretty sure I hated it...I once took an apptitude and IQ test on Acid... They thought I might be too intelligent for the position... I told them I promised to drink beer till I was as dumm as every one else, and they let me in...It is amazingly hard to solve problems on a piece of paper on a table a foot below the problem hovering in the air... How did I ever do that stuff??? I could never get comfortable... Always waiting for something to happen even in the still part of night.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:10 pm
@Fido,
That was really a bad bad bad thing you did, Fido. And Setanta's response was moderate to say the least, considering the egregious wrong you have involved yourself in.

I doubt whether there will ever be any A2kers who will ever forgive you. Your life, as you know it, is over. May I suggest harakiri? I will be willing to risk being tainted by your presence in order to act as your second.
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:10 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

That was really a bad bad bad thing you did, Fido. And Setanta's response was moderate to say the least, considering the egregious wrong you have involved yourself in.

I doubt whether there will ever be any A2kers who will ever forgive you. Your life, as you know it, is over. May I suggest harakiri? I will be willing to risk being tainted by your presence in order to act as your second.

Your suggestion is noted... May I suggest getting yourself a life, telling Setanta to lose the rubber legs and stand on his/her own???
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:14 am
@Fido,
No one seems to recognize sarcasm; "egregious wrong", "harakiri"

I was poking fun at Setanta, Fido, not at you.
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:59 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

No one seems to recognize sarcasm; "egregious wrong", "harakiri"

I was poking fun at Setanta, Fido, not at you.

I guess that makes me an idiot... I did have to wonder why a suicide would need a second...If it was me I would tell my second to go first..
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:03 am
@Fido,
Quote:
I did have to wonder why a suicide would need a second.

The second is a friend who chops off the head if the first can't/won't/is unable to complete harakiri.
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I did have to wonder why a suicide would need a second.

The second is a friend who chops off the head if the first can't/won't/is unable to complete harakiri.

The kind of person who would need a second for a suicide could probobly eff up a wet dream...The whole mess is nonsense... life is meaning and death is the end of meaning... People do not give up meaning for no meaning, and so, give up meaning thinking some other meaning waits... Good luck with that, folks...Don't look for a second in me....I am too busy living to think about dying...
0 Replies

fedos

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:46 pm
@plainoldme,
Don't worry about it. Neil Postman isn't really worth reading.
0 Replies