A2K Avatars- What Messages Are They Sending?

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:04 am
The storm is pretty much just starting here since it's coming up from the south, but it looks like we're going to be in for a long few days. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere right up until the end of the week, so I'm ready. The day before we expect a storm here I stock up on things for atleast a week because where I live you can become stranded for days. I went out yesterday and did my stocking, so now I just hope we don't lose the power.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:06 am
Oh dear... still, it just adds to the Christmas ambience, annoying though it may be...

Do you get snowstorms very often, Montana?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:11 am
It really doesn't bother me at all as long as I'm prepared. We do get quite a few snow storms throughout the winter sometimes. I'm use to it.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:42 am
Oh good Very Happy. How long are they saying that the snowstorm will last?

I was wondering about Phoenix's question about people's representations last night, after I'd logged off; do A2Kers imagine other people's voices when reading their posts?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:47 am
It's suppose to stop tomorrow sometime after we get about 2 feet of snow.

I kind of imagine what A2Kers sound like. Do you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:52 am
heehee - it is always a surprise when you DO hear them!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:59 am
Montana wrote:
I kind of imagine what A2Kers sound like. Do you?

Yeah; I'm probably completely off-the-mark when it comes to guessing correctly, though.

dlowan wrote:
heehee - it is always a surprise when you DO hear them!

When was the last time that you convened? Did many people come? The fact that there are A2K meets is one of the things that amaze me about this place.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:59 am
It sure is :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:02 am
I grew up in the Boston area, so all my non computer friends are there. There are a few that I still talk with on the computer though. I don't have any friends where I live now, so all my friends are here on the computer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:09 am
I am in Australia, so I have never been to a meet.

I voice chat with some A2k'ers - and I have conversed with others by telephone.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:12 am
Montana wrote:
I grew up in the Boston area, so all my non computer friends are there. There are a few that I still talk with on the computer though. I don't have any friends where I live now, so all my friends are here on the computer.

Wow... when did you move to Canada, Montana? Do you prefer it to Boston?

What wonderful things computers are (when they don't need rebooting Evil or Very Mad); it astonishes me sometimes to think of the people whom I wouldn't have known, were it not for the Internet...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:13 am
dlowan wrote:
I am in Australia, so I have never been to a meet.

I voice chat with some A2k'ers - and I have conversed with others by telephone.

Do you do that often?

I think it's a good idea.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:56 am
I have a voice that sounds like two large rocks being ground together.

Sometimes my voice frightens small children and they run away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:07 am
I have been told that I sound like Rhoda (from the old Mary Tyler Moore show). Sad
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:55 am
I worked as a purchasing agent years ago and of course spoke with many vendors on the phone. Invariably you get to know them through comments and small talk then you develope a mental image of them. I met many of them once at an expo, and my preconceptions were so far off it was hilarious. You get that shock of reality the moment you see them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:58 am
BrandX- I know what you mean. I was at an A2K Florida gathering earlier this year. It is so strange in the beginning, when you never have spoken to a person, but have shared a lot, to actually meet them in person.

BTW, I was extremely pleasantly surprised!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:05 am
Phoenix, I would never mind being off on my preconceptions of A2K members, but I would be very put off if the person(s) was/were being totally fake online and discover it after going through the trouble of meeting them in person.

Glad your experience was good. I tend to believe most people are being real, excuse me for using that tired phrase.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:17 am
Brand X - I have been around here, from the beginning. I also knew a lot of people who are here, from another forum. I think that after awhile, when you have had lots of interactions with people, you can spot the phonies and the nasties.

I think that the nature of the quality of this site, is that most of the game players and the nogoods tend to drop out rather quickly.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
My avatar--I have no idea what message my avatar is sending about me. I chose it because I love panthers--in fact, I think that black animals are especially glorious looking. Also, I have green eyes, so I identified with it.

But other people have the same avatar. We can't all be sending the same message.

What do you think, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:12 am
Roberta- It is very interesting. A number of people have chosen the black cat avatar. I think that it is soft, yet mysterious. I think that people have a fascination with black cats (I love them- I was at a party last night, and spend some time playing with a fabulous black feline)

In that avatar, you are looking intensely, yet you really can't be seen. What do YOU think that it means?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:13:37