A2K Avatars- What Messages Are They Sending?

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:20 am
Some time back, we had a discussion about why an A2K member chose a particular avatar. Thinking about this, I realized that when a person chooses an image to represent him/herself on the internet, a message is being sent out in cyberspece.

Since we cannot see the person who is writing, we miss out on the body language. Obviously, the sort of things that a person writes, and how he expresses his thoughts, is vitally important, but the only other visual clue that we receive about the person IS the avatar.

I find that I have varying emotional reactions to avatars. I believe that what a person chooses as an avatar, says volumes about the person.

When you chose your avatar, were you attempting to project a particular "image" of yourself? What was that image? If that was not the intent, what image do you think that your avatar is projecting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,415 • Replies: 178
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:23 am
That's an interesting question, Phoenix. I guess that some people were trying to project a particular image of themselves, but I just chose something... different. (Some people could say that it means someone who's peaceful but extreme, I don't know.) Did you choose your avatar to project an image of yourself?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:26 am
When I first saw my avatar, I thought it projected an image of a sensitive intellectual, just like me. That's why I have kept it for so long.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:28 am
I'm the quiet type, mysterious and elusive.

My avatar stimulates the imagination in ways that only the imagination can be imagined if we were to try to imagine something as im... well, you get the idea. Or not. But that's the beauty of it.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:29 am
Very Happy I agree with its sentiment: you know, I've only ever eaten their once, and that was under diktat; I don't know.. if I fancied strange organs with sloppy cheese (with extra saliva for flavour), I'd make it myself...

How long have you had that avatar?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:32 am
Not that I want to get all Rorschach on drom, but your avatar looks to me like a crotch shot of woman in bikini bottoms. Just what ARE you trying to say? Laughing
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:34 am
Yes, you see? I am also invisible!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:35 am
Botticelli's Venus and I share the same coloring, I love all things Italian especially early Renaissance art, and I am a Libra (ruled by Venus.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:35 am
cavfancier wrote:
Not that I want to get all Rorschach on drom, but your avatar looks to me like a crotch shot of woman in bikini bottoms. Just what ARE you trying to say? Laughing

Laughing Laughing God, I've never seen it that way before! You're right, if you turn your head, it looks very... similar.

What is it saying?? Crazed nymphomaniac? Someone with too much imagination? Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:36 am
Although it looks like the bottom of a corset to me...

Online Gestalt therapy with Cav; I can sense a market ready to be exploited Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
I like your avatar, Eva, probably because of a love of Italy too. (God, does anyone come out of that country not wanting to go back?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:40 am
What is my avatar saying?

This
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:41 am
I would guess Mussolini there drom, regarding Italy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:41 am
Lemme see. Why did I choose this avatatr?

Because...ahhh...jeez, I don't know...perhaps for the same reason I chose the screen name I use.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:42 am
Just kiddin'.

But that IS partly what it is saying...
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
My strategy is working perfectly. No one will suspect that I'm writing anything, unless there is an avatar to suggest a message.

Now if I can just avoid using any smileys . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:45 am
I wanted to project the image of one who would take candy from small children.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:46 am
I noticed you there PatriUgg, please excuse my omnipotence. It's just one of those days, you know, it comes and goes.
0 Replies

drom et reve

cavfancier wrote:
I would guess Mussolini there drom, regarding Italy.
Laughing That's very true...

As for Dlowan's, well I think it's saying; 'I'm amiable, until you get on my bad side: come on, who'll mess with a big white smoking rabbit.'

As for Frank, I always thought of the avatar: 'slightly deranged wise man.'
0 Replies

ehBeth

I change my avatar in accordance with weather, season and my mood. And well, Endora, I had that very hairdo - colour, curl and all - to go to a wedding recently.

The Christmas deerhuahua was a lovely treat from the CravenLad last year. I'm glad to have it on for St. Nikolas day! Did everyone find treats in their shoes/boots this morning?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A2K Avatars- What Messages Are They Sending?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:08:14