Like pie for breakfast?

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:11 pm
(that's my take on Like Water for Chocolate..)

As a matter of course, per my own bias, I think it is best to have some protein for breakfast - eggs, or tuna on toast, would that I had a supply of lox and bagels and cream cheese - to get my brain whizzing, but in my elder life, I tend not to do that every day.

Well, that's nice, but what I really would like is something like blueberry cobbler or peach pie.. and a good cup of coffee.

I've been meaning for quite a while to try making custard. Have saved some recipes for years. I went so far as to google about a week ago and found a lot of "egg custard pie" recipes. They all looked easy. I can do this! Especially since I have some storebought pie dough resting in my refrigerator. I make my own pizza dough, make a lot of my own bread, but haven't gone the mile for pie dough, except once, when it didn't turn out so great.

So today I made a very simple custard pie. Stuck my finger in it and it's delicious. I followed the recipe, but next time I can already tell I'll add a lot less sugar, and probably some crushed almonds or walnuts (sturdy bag, hammer).

I think of this as six potential breakfasts, given some fruit too.

The recipe I tried (I left it in longer, but I'm at fairly high altitude) -
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1716,150190-246205,00.html

EGG CUSTARD PIE
3 eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 pt. milk
Unbaked crust
Brush pie crust with unbeaten egg whites to prevent custard from soaking into pastry. Beat eggs until foamy, add all other ingredients, stir well. Pour into crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Custard is done when a knife stuck through comes out clean.

Am I the only one who likes pie for breakfast?
Cobblers?
Any recipes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,966 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I could do pie for breakfast.
Swimpy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Pumpkin pie is my traditional breakfast the day after Thanksgiving.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:37 pm
@roger,
So, what kind?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Please go with the protein.

Too many seniors run into trouble when they drop the morning protein. Just came up on a radio feature by a local doc, again.

"Tea and toast syndrome". Confusion. Bad.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:47 pm
@Swimpy,
It's true, most of the pie that I've had for breakfast in my life have been leftovers.
My family, not all that large, tends to have four pies at thanksgiving..

My only qualm is that a lot of bought pies are loaded with sugar of whatever kind, and I've changed, can be icked out by too much sugar, not to mention the health bit. I'll probably change this recipe a bunch of times to much lower.

My change re sugar is not so much that a lot is not good for you, which is true, but that I've grown to prefer much more subtle sweets in general.

The dough is probably full of dumb stuff too. That's next.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:49 pm
I like my breakfast pie with bacon, onions and jalapeno.

But I guess that's quiche, huh?

I've made this onion custard for Thanksgiving using Walla Walla (sweet, like Vidalia) onions.... delicious:

Vidalia Onion Custard

Ingredients:
•4 large Vidalia onions (about 6 medium), halved and thinly sliced
•4 tablespoons butter
•1 cup milk
•2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•Pepper, to taste
•chopped chives or green onion for garnish
Preparation:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden in color. Let onions cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and egg yolk, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add cooked onions; stir well. Transfer to a well-buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish or large deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 325° oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until lightly golden and a clean knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with chives or green onion. Serve hot.
Serves 4.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, yes, I agree with that. Sardines on my toast, in my case.

Still, pie is lascivious. Perhaps a reason to live...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:57 pm
@boomerang,
That didn't have a crust... which is how I remember baked eggs, but that's why I've rarely made quiche. Me the italophile has never made a frittata either, since I'm crazy for baked eggs.

This is good for single people too, as a whole pie plateful makes a few meals.
You can play with the basic idea...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 09:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, the custard pie turned out to be wonderful.

I still figure I could cut down the sugar by a lot.
Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I like pizza pie for breakfast. Cold even. I could do the custard, too, though. Thanks for the recipe!

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:02 pm
@Irishk,
That was delicious. Aaaack!

But, like I said, way sugary. I'll likely move it along to savory, with some stops in between. As it is, a kind of basic recipe, once you rid the thing of all that sugar.
Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll probably do a sugar-free version so Mr.Irish can enjoy it. He thinks white sugar is unhealthy. Twisted Evil
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:48 am
@Irishk,
a little brown sugar?
Irishk

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:07 am
@ossobuco,
No, he says that's just white sugar with molasses added to it. He isn't a fan of artificial sweeteners, but likes the treats I make with Stevia, which is a plant-based natural sweetener. He'll eat honey-sweetened treats in moderation, too, but generally stays away from most sugary desserts.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 05:32 pm
@Irishk,
I think that there is brown sugar like your husband says, and a healthier kind - I think that was discussed on a2k somewhere, sometime.
0 Replies