It's National Pie Day in the US,

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:46 pm
according to the LA Times -
National Pie Day

What's your favorite pie?

of the LA Times recipes, I'll first try the Lemon Pie with Italian Meringue - after I figure out what almond flour is. I'm guessing ground almonds but haven't looked it up yet.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-sos9jan09,0,7390673.story

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-01/34627841.jpg
photo credit - Glenn Koenig / Los Angeles Times
A rich lemon curd stands at the center of this terrific pie.

Nick & Stef's lemon meringue pie

Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes plus chilling time

Servings: 8 to 10

Note: Adapted from a Nick & Stef's recipe. The dough makes enough for two pies. Half of the dough can be frozen, tightly wrapped, for up to 6 months. Gelatin sheets are available at Surfas in Culver City and baking supply stores.

Sweet dough

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
1 whole egg
1/3 cup almond flour
3 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1. Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until it has a creamy consistency. Alternatively, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl using a hand mixer. With the mixer on, add the egg yolk until it is incorporated, then add the egg and incorporate completely.

2. In a separate bowl, sift together the almond flour, flour and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl slowly and continue mixing until the dough is thoroughly combined. The dough should be slightly sticky but not wet. If the dough is too dry and crumbly, add up to 1 tablespoon of water to moisten the dough.

3. Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a circle and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate one of the portions, and allow it to rest for at least 1 hour. The remaining portion can be frozen for up to 6 months. (For frozen dough, thaw in the refrigerator before using.)

4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator, and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough into a circle slightly less than one-fourth-inch thick and about 12 inches in diameter. Gently drape the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, and trim off any excess dough so that the crust is flush with the sides of the pan. With a fork, prick holes all over the dough to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack.

Lemon curd

4 eggs

ADS BY GOOGLE
The Rachael Ray Diet
Lose 9 Lbs a Week Guaranteed. Risk Free Money Back Guarantee
www.foodnetwork.com
Christian Mom Makes 5k/mn
How a Christian Mom makes $5,000 a month with Free Government Grants.
Grants247.net
See Brands NOT Affected
By FDA Recall of Peanut Butter. Get Latest Salmonella Update Now
www.peanutsusa.com
2 egg yolks

1 cup sugar

Zest of 1 lemon

1 cup fresh lemon juice

2 gelatin sheets

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2 -inch cubes

1 baked pie shell

1. In a large heat-proof mixing bowl (you should be able to set it over a large pan or stock pot of simmering water to form a bain-marie), whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and lemon zest. Whisk in the lemon juice.

2. Fill a small bowl with water, and insert the gelatin sheets to allow them to soften. Place the butter cubes into a medium bowl and set aside.

3. Place the bowl with the lemon curd over a larger pot of gently simmering water to form a bain-marie. Cook the curd, stirring gently but constantly, until the curd begins to thicken and will lie on top of itself. Watch carefully to make sure the heat is not so hot that the eggs scramble. Immediately remove the curd from the stove, and pour the curd into the bowl with the butter. Remove the gelatin sheets from the water, wringing out any extra moisture, and add to the curd mixture. Gently stir the curd with a spatula to melt and incorporate the butter and gelatin into the mixture.

4. Pour the lemon curd into the prebaked pie shell. Cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, until the curd is set.

Meringue and assembly

1 1/4 cup sugar

4 egg whites

1 lemon pie

1. Place the sugar in a medium saucepan. Add one-half cup water, and stir with the sugar until it is the consistency of wet sand. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook the sugar until a thermometer inserted reads 240 degrees. (The sugar will form a firm ball when a little is dropped into a bowl of cold water).

2. While the sugar is cooking, begin whipping the egg whites. Continue beating until the whites form stiff peaks, but be careful not to over-beat.

3. When the sugar is ready, immediately remove it from the heat, and pour it into a heat-proof measuring cup to stop the cooking process. With the mixer speed on low, carefully begin pouring in the sugar, watching that the sugar does not touch the wire beaters and splatter. Once all of the sugar is added, increase the mixer speed to medium, and continue beating until the meringue cools and is very fluffy.

4. Remove the chilled lemon pie from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Spoon the meringue on top of the curd with a rubber spatula, forming a dome on top of the pie. To toast the meringue (which is optional), use a small hand torch and lightly torch the meringue until it is golden brown. Serve immediately.

Each serving: 518 calories; 9 grams protein; 73 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 22 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 195 mg. cholesterol; 74 mg. sodium.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,523 • Replies: 11

George

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pie!

Favorite? That's a tough one. Lemme think.

Pumpkin pie is right up there, but a homemade apple pie? heaven.
Oh yeah, and strawberry-rhubarb. Oo! Oo! Blueberry.

No, wait . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Urp! I was too late to edit the entire lemon pie recipe. Thus the ads..
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:53 pm
For me, my favorite is a really good lemon meringe pie that is almost impossible to find these days, but every now and then you find one that is full flavored, the right texture, flaky crust, etc. (I may have to try Osso's recipe)

(One of the best I've ever had was made with Eagle Brand milk--certainly a gazillion calories per slice but ohh sooo goooood.)

A close runner up is a really good key lime pie, but again most of what you find these days is a watered down, bland flavored thing that is mostly just sweet and no substance.
Sglass

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:56 pm
I went to the Volcano House at the park and for dessert I had chocolate chip (white chips) strawberry whipped cream pie. It was awesum'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm a picky person re what the lemon part tastes like.. I think I like lemon curd more than most lemon fillings.
I'm given pause though with the business about cooking the sugar. I have never been very successful at getting sugar to the soft ball or hard ball stage, and while I have a candy thermometer, that ain't no guarantee for me. Oh, well, I may try it, and if I flub it up, go for sugared whipped cream.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:01 pm
blueberry or raspberry, probably leaning towards the raspberry
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:04 pm
@djjd62,
Blueberry or blackberry... mmmm, maybe blackberry first. Not so much strawberry or raspberry. But..
vive la differance (sp).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
gimme an almondy sour cherry pie made with my wifes handed down recipe that is so damn good, follwoed by a mince pie ith extra apples , then a key lime pie that is YELLOW with a creamy topping.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:44 pm
@farmerman,
Ok, passes farmerman three pies...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:49 pm
Alton Brown devoted an entire one hour episode to the chemistry and methodology for the making of a quality lemon meringue pie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyY-QD5hA0
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:53 pm
"Mmmmmm! Pie!"
0 Replies