BBB's favorite Caramel Pecan Pie for now or the holidays

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:00 am
CARAMEL PECAN PIE

Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie from a recipe provided by the chef of the Ye Olde Hoosier Inn in Stockton, California. This pie is quite different from the traditional southern pecan pie. It is my favorite.

Filling:
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup granulated brown sugar
2 large eggs, unbeaten
1 cup canned evaporated milk, (not condensed)
3 tablespoons flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ to ¾ cup broken pecan pieces

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and eggs; add the milk and thoroughly blend.

Sift the flour into a small bowl and combine with the salt and white sugar. Add to the egg-milk mixture. Stir in the vanilla.

Prepare your favorite pie crust and line a 9-inch pie pan with the pastry. Pour the filling into the pastry shell. Sprinkle the pecan pieces evenly over the top of the filling.

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Place the pie on the middle shelf of the oven. Place a cookie sheet or a sheet of foil on the bottom of the oven to catch any spills. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and cool to room temperature before serving.

This pie is very rich, but if you prefer a topping: whip ½ pint of heavy whipping cream until stiff. Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and blend. A delicious alternative topping is to add brown sugar to sour cream.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,718 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 12:13 pm
Nice! Thanks for posting this!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 01:09 pm
Ouch, my teeth ache just reading the ingredients! Reminds me of the Tarte au Sucre I made for the Frenchies in camp.
0 Replies

mollydrew

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:57 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This sounds wonderful. I have always used a family recipe passed down six generations to me, I am not allowed to share it. My family has pecan farms and my recipe shares eggs, pecans, and vanillia with your recipe, that's all. I am going to try your recipe and let you know how it turns out. Thank you.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:55 am
@mollydrew,
I know you will enjoy it. I prefer the topping made of sour cream and cinnamon. But I like it best without any topping at all. Simplicity rules.

BBB
0 Replies