Love some pecan pie, but - -?

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 09:11 am
Anyone know if there is a commercially baked pecan pie that does not use corn syrup in the ingredients?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 531 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

hightor

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
I think the "commercially baked" aspect is going to be a problem. There are a pile of recipes for pecan pie without corn syrup on the web – which makes me think it might be difficult to obtain commercially. Good luck. And enjoy the holiday.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I think the problem is price. Corn, ( or what we call golden,) syrup is a lot cheaper than maple syrup, honey, or any other alternative.
Ragman

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 10:00 am
@izzythepush,
I just found the same info after searching online. Agave nectar or maple syrup is suggested for homemade. However, you might consider a natural food venue like a Whole Foids venue for a chance at a commercial pie. $$$
edgarblythe

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 10:08 am
Thank you. I am not into baking much anymore, but I do love certain baked goods. I think, of all popular foods, corn is likely the most destructive.
Ragman

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 11:35 am
@edgarblythe,
…and it’s one of the most prevalent crops. Sad what has happened to the industry, but even sadder what that industry has done to us!
coluber2001

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 12:28 pm
@Ragman,
Pecans have become extremely expensive even in Texas where they're grown. Expect to pay $5 to $6 a pound unshelled.
edgarblythe

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 04:53 pm
I was told by a kind soul on Twitter that Walmart sells Edward's Pecan Pies. No corn syrup. He didn't mention price.
Ragman

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 04:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I looked at them online and the first ingredient is corn syrup.
edgarblythe

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 06:30 pm
@Ragman,
Then my friend was probably wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 24 Nov, 2022 06:35 pm
FiveGuns West
and
domedoxo
liked a reply to your Tweet
I looked it up. Walmart carries Edward's pecan pie w/no hi fructose corn syrup.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He must have looked with one eye open and the other crossed.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 25 Nov, 2022 06:54 am
@coluber2001,
The drought and heat was kind to no one. The street here are usually covered in Pecans, but were almost totally clear this year.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 25 Nov, 2022 06:58 am
@izzythepush,
Here in the states, it's an artificial cheapness as corn and corn sugar industry has an amazing amount of support from the government subsidies.

We cry about the price of insulin and cram corn sugar down out gullets in all sorts of products causing diabetes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:01 pm
@Ragman,
I just visited Whole Foods web site. They didn't offer an ingredients list that I could find.
Ragman wrote:

I just found the same info after searching online. Agave nectar or maple syrup is suggested for homemade. However, you might consider a natural food venue like a Whole Foids venue for a chance at a commercial pie. $$$
Ragman

Fri 25 Nov, 2022 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Whole Foods are poopity heads!
0 Replies