Time To Boycott EA games?

RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 02:51 pm
Looks like a boycott will not be necessary...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39065153/ns/technology_and_science-games/

What the hell was EA games thinking? Uuuuughf, I wonder if Americans would like to shoot US soldiers in a role playing game playing as the ruthless bloodthirsty unconscionable Taliban?

How asinine...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 03:11 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

What the hell was EA games thinking? Uuuuughf, I wonder if Americans would like to shoot US soldiers in a role playing game playing as the ruthless bloodthirsty unconscionable Taliban?

How asinine...

Uh, I must admit, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's a game, for god's sake.

I've played games where I was a drug kingpin trying to get as many people hooked on crack as possible; where I was an evil demon whose job was to conquer as many innocents as possible. I've played bad guys in games where my role is to destroy entire star systems, or the whole universe if possible.

So what?

Cycloptichorn
RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

RexRed wrote:

How asinine...

Uh, I must admit, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's a game, for god's sake.

I've played games where I was a drug kingpin trying to get as many people hooked on crack as possible; where I was an evil demon whose job was to conquer as many innocents as possible. I've played bad guys in games where my role is to destroy entire star systems, or the whole universe if possible.

So what?

Cycloptichorn
There is a BIG difference between killing Klingons and taking shots at the US military as a role playing Taliban..

It is insensitive and in bad taste and we are trying to win over the "hearts and minds" of the Afghanistan people and this is no frigging help at all... The enemy is within. And I never played the marijuana game either... I would rather in a game plant corn and feed pigs than plant poppies and feed heroin addicts...

Maybe if you had to pick up a real gun or ween your self off heroine (a drug which I have never even tried) you might take a different stance.
BillRM

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:46 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
It is insensitive and in bad taste and we are trying to win over the "hearts and minds" of the Afghanistan people and this is no frigging help at all... The enemy is within. And I never played the marijuana game either... I would rather in a game plant corn and feed pigs than plant poppies and feed heroin addicts...

It a game........

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:25 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:

There is a BIG difference between killing Klingons and taking shots at the US military as a role playing Taliban..

I don't think so. Why is there a difference? It's just a video game, no matter who the bad guys are.

Quote:

I don't think it's insensitive. It's realistic. Gamers like realism.

Quote:
Maybe if you had to pick up a real gun or ween your self off heroine (a drug which I have never even tried) you might take a different stance.

I have picked up real guns; I haven't ever done Heroin. None of that matters, because video games don't carry the same morality in them that real life does; they are simulations, fantasy situations, not reality. The two are clearly distinct.

Cycloptichorn
RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

I don't think so. Why is there a difference? It's just a video game, no matter who the bad guys are.

Quote:

I don't think it's insensitive. It's realistic. Gamers like realism.

Quote:

I have picked up real guns; I haven't ever done Heroin. None of that matters, because video games don't carry the same morality in them that real life does; they are simulations, fantasy situations, not reality. The two are clearly distinct.

Cycloptichorn

It is like the butterfly effect, and, what is the purpose in making a mockery of war and bloodshed? Does it serve the greater good of humanity as a whole, and what is civilized and considered rational in that? It is more like, compounding error upon error. Remembering and memorizing horrors and having an ecliptic knowledge of massively morbid ideas... If that is the choice in life well to each their own but some prefer to live with a little less desire for reaching the center of hell sooner than the next person. In fact, I may just ride this one out. I think my ideas and motives are somewhere in a more less contrived place. I don't really wish to change my own point of view. I like imaginative games where I am fighting Klingon rather than figuring out what an average pimp makes in a day's work in NYC. I would rather play a pharaoh and build pyramids than build mafia empires. So it is not just the role but the perception. I don't think a game depicting evil beyond certain boundaries is appropriate for any healthy society. Certain taboos should remain taboo at least to main stream media. Evil that is depicted otherwise is called, "corruption", the criminal element, and enemies of justice....

The moral question is... do we merge "games" with people dying in real life?

The answer is no. that is fundamentally and ethically wrong. War is, liberation versus domination, not, red versus blue.... Is that really a game?

It is ethically wrong for people to role play publicly the lives of actual soldiers as if they are bidding for their lives in some sort of virtual reality show roman football game and gallery, to stake the lives of citizens on the whim of the highest bidder, or, who is faster on the joystick or rolls a royal flush. It seems that democracy is a very important stipulation between neighbors. Hearts and minds.
BillRM

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:20 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
don't think a game depicting evil beyond certain boundaries is appropriate for any healthy society. Certain taboos should remain taboo at least to main stream media. Evil that is depicted otherwise is called, "corruption", the criminal element, and enemies of justice....

I do not think you get almost anyone to agree with you here and people with your thinking went after the comic books of the 1950s for similar reasons.

If you do not like a game do not buy it yourself but as for allowing you or anyone else to declare a taboo for others go to hell.
RexRed

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

It a game........

There are many games not worth participating in... "Let's pick on the fag"... is just a game too... Again, it is most often the consumer's choice... In some cases games like "lets pick on the fag" fall under the category of "hate crimes"
But let's all not forget, it's just a game right? Just like how many times have you heard "it's just a joke" but, "we were all laughing at you". But remember "it's just a joke"? Can't you take a joke? Where is your sense of humror? When do jokes and games "get out of hand"?

Strip poker is, "just a game" but not all people care to or are willing to play it on any whim.... If children underage decide to play that "game" it can be considered criminal by most courts of law. This game is illegal for youngsters to even attempt to play... Some experiences in this world are simply adult and some are even considered "mature". The mature rating means that many if not most adults are not mature enough to even participate... Some ethically or morally have objections and choose to ban or boycott such activities as base and devoid of "class" and sensitivity... Some games are devoid of morality and ethics some are devoid of humanity and are simply WRONG.....

Free societies and even social societies have boundaries and if that was not the case Guantanamo bay and all prisons would be empty... Are the people sitting in Guantanamo bay thinking, "it is just a game" now let me out... when they lob a grenade at a soldier or a crowd of innocent pedestrians are there not sensitivities and legalities involved here also? Is this game not a training camp for would be terrorists in an age where we can't even define what terrorism is?

This last monstrosity of EA is neither a funny joke nor is it a GAME...

I am all for liberty (I am a liberal) but even liberty has its ethical boundaries... People who are for this game have a political gripe against America and poisoning the minds of America's youth fits handily into their plans...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
don't think a game depicting evil beyond certain boundaries is appropriate for any healthy society. Certain taboos should remain taboo at least to main stream media. Evil that is depicted otherwise is called, "corruption", the criminal element, and enemies of justice....

I do not think you get almost anyone to agree with you here and people with your thinking went after the comic books of the 1950s for similar reasons.

If you do not like a game do not buy it yourself but as for allowing you or anyone else to declare a taboo for others go to hell.

You go to ******* hell. You are the one advocating hell for our youth why not take your own medicine you prescribe for others. And take your propagandist communist comics and shove them where the sun don't shine. Without some morality a society falls into complete decadence and lawlessness. If you want to go take a dump in public don't expect we to watch or buy tickets. There is farce and then there is travesty. Travesty just leads to more death. Death and corruption of innocence is not a game and is no jovial or laughing matter.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:40 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
I think my ideas and motives are somewhere in a more less contrived place. I don't really wish to change my own point of view.

Shocking!

Quote:
I like imaginative games where I am fighting Klingon rather than figuring out what an average pimp makes in a day's work in NYC.

Those Klingons have families, friends. You're still a killer in that game, you just have convinced yourself that it doesn't matter, because they aren't 'real.' But neither are the people in video games about our modern day.

Quote:
I would rather play a pharaoh and build pyramids than build mafia empires.

Those Pharoahs were bloody killers as well, ruling with force, using slave populations to do the brute labor in building that pyramid.

It seems that you have a hard time separating reality from the game - to the point where you can't enjoy certain games. I understand that, but you should understand that many if not most others don't have that problem.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:17 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Those Pharoahs were bloody killers as well, ruling with force, using slave populations to do the brute labor in building that pyramid.

That is a myth created out of movies the labor force was not slaves in the firm opinion of modern experts but more in line with public work programs of the 1930s.
RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:50 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

That is a myth created out of movies the labor force was not slaves in the firm opinion of modern experts but more in line with public work programs of the 1930s.

Yes Bill you are quite correct, in fact, the "slaves" or, pyramid builders were often honored by being granted their own pyramids or lavish burial chambers.

I personally know people in the US military and it breaks my heart that they have to fight for their lives and our freedoms while EA games defaces their honor.

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:54 pm
The builders of the pyramids were free men, and they were rewarded with special quarters in which to house their families, and an assurance of decent food and clothing. As much as it pains me to acknowledge it, Bill is right. The whole slave thing is a product of Judeo-Christian myth and Hollywood.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:09 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I personally know people in the US military and it breaks my heart that they have to fight for their lives and our freedoms while EA games defaces their honor.

Somehow I would not be surprise if some of those military men are playing that game on both sides.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:33 pm
@RexRed,
Don't quite see the reason why to boycott EA, they only progress the line of history in their game, we have been able to shoot natzies, VC's, ruskies ..etc and ofc played as opposit faction, now it's modern times and we are able to play as terrorists, what's the fuss about that, it's a natural things we can shoot eachother. Why havn't there been objection to shoot ruskies and VC's ?

HIPPOCRYTS!!!
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:04 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Don't quite see the reason why to boycott EA, they only progress the line of history in their game, we have been able to shoot natzies, VC's, ruskies ..etc and ofc played as opposit faction, now it's modern times and we are able to play as terrorists, what's the fuss about that, it's a natural things we can shoot eachother. Why havn't there been objection to shoot ruskies and VC's ?

HIPPOCRYTS!!!

I don't play games where I am shooting Russians... Can you name me a game where Russians are being shot?

The only game I know of where Russians are being shot is Red Alert and they are not really Russians they are people who have been changed by a time machine that produced an alternative future reality. ALSO (since we are screaming) when we play games against Germany we are not playing against Germany of today (Merkle versus Obama) but of Germany and Hitler of the past. Germany of today is a close ally and worthy of much love and respect. A game pitting forces against Germany of today would be unthinkable right? But that is exactly what EA games has done in setting a modern warfare game and pitting it against a sovereign country of today. It is insulting and a low down move on their part. And I also have a problem with killing even Germans of Hitler's time even though I have played those games in the past, something has never felt right about the idea in general. It is insulting to German of today and like rubbing their faces in it or like making young people of today in America feel guilty for slavery and racism of the past... These lessons of the past should never be forgotten but the are also exactly that "in the past"... I don't get the same bad vibe when playing Battle For Middle Earth and I am battling against Ents or Orks... Maybe a game where you can play Hitler and gas as many Jews and see who can get a higher score? Hypocrites? HIPPOCRYTS!!!

Now if someone created a game where Obama and our troops were shooting against Putin's KGB of today would that not be insulting to Russia and the US? Why doesn't EA games make a game pitting the Irish Catholics against the Irish protestants and kids worldwide can blow up churches? How about the a game that kids and adults can play Islamic terrorists and they can slay unarmed women, children, fathers and mothers, Africans in Darfur and rack up points and a high score on how much genocide one can achieve? What makes America any less deserving of basic respect and honor?

GET A FRIGGING CLUE!
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:24 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Somehow I would not be surprise if some of those military men are playing that game on both sides.

Actually the military had the good sense to ban the game outright. The greatest generals perhaps in the world and their commander in chief think the same way as I do about this disgusting piece of tripe being passed off as a "game".

This just shows that EA games has no imagination and creative genius on board. I don't care if the game is banned or not I will NEVER buy it anyway... Starcraft is a much funner game than Medal of (dis)Honor and I don't need to shoot American soldiers of TODAY to get enjoyment from Starcraft... This new "Medal of Honor" game is total garbage and should never have even made it to the drawing board. Someone at EA games needs to be fired... I went from liking their company to now I could care less to play their games and support a company that has such disregard for young American soldiers lives let alone the innocent people who are caught in the crossfire of this terrible war in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:02 am
@RexRed,
Ah yes, you act like a child that abhore veggies out of irrationallity, not because of some intelligent refusal.

It seems you are overly sensetive, in short ..hysteric.

Rational based people can shoot whomever they want in computer games, and make a distinction, they shoot without prejudism as they precive the enemy as mere graphic, and not as a real person, which seems you can't.

I'v played a computer game called Age of Kings, there was a girl who refused to kill a sheep, which is clearly lack of rationallity, it's only a digital life form, not a real life form, it's people who clearly lack rational thinking that will display such behaviour.
BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:40 am
@RexRed,
So the feelings of the very soldiers you are trying to protect are also the very ones buying this game?

Does that fact have any meaning at all to you in how the soldiers view this game?

Second all they need to do is walk off the base to get this game so other then costing them a few more dollars and annoying them what had you grain?

RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So the feelings of the very soldiers you are trying to protect are also the very ones buying this game?

Does that fact have any meaning at all to you in how the soldiers view this game?

Second all they need to do is walk off the base to get this game so other then costing them a few more dollars and annoying them what had you grain?

I am sure soldiers fighting everyday with real guns and living with the stress of war just can't wait to go off base (the battlefield) and snatch this game off the shelf. Before they even call their wife and kids they will rush out to game boutique and hurriedly install the game on their army computers so they can shoot heir brothers in arms in a simulated frenzy. The way you paint our proud, intelligent and highly disciplined men and women of the military does them a disservice.
0 Replies