Did anyone get bitten by the EA Games/SimCity debacle?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm
The award for Stupidest Choice in Game Design definitely goes to EA for their ridiculous requirement of an active Internet connection to run SimCity.

People spent $60 on an unplayable game (since the servers are completely overwhelmed). And the game is only playable on EA's sufferance, as two years down the road they could just unplug the servers and completely brick the game.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,245 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 12:43 pm
@DrewDad,
The active Internet connection is obviously an attempt to prevent piracy, but they've lost far more money from people returning or not buying their game than they could ever "lose" to piracy.

***The reason I put "lose" in quotes is that there is no reason to believe that folks who pirate a game would have actually paid to play the game. Sure, they're freeloaders, but the evidence supports the idea that pirates do not represent lost revenue.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 01:16 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm out of this since I don't do internet games (and gawd help me if I ever start; it would take a different computer). But - if there is one game I would be a natural addict to by self definition, it's Sim City.

My sympathies to people frustrated by this situation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:20 pm
@DrewDad,
That kind of DRM only hurts the EA gamers who are faithfully obeying their respective laws.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's just dumb.

That DRM adds a bunch of cost and subtracts a bunch of revenue.

If I were an EA Games stock holder, I'd be pissed.

(Costs added: servers, payroll to maintain the servers, bandwidth, etc.)
(Revenue subtracted: Anyone who returned the game, or waited until after the rollout to buy, or refused to accept the DRM, or wanted it mainly to play when Internet is not available.)

But there's no piracy!
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:43 pm
Let’s see -- the company that pulled the plug on Madden PC version:

even though there was a large and enthusiastic crowd
stamped it out completely
no fixes
no support
no new rosters updates so owners could still play a “current” roster
a company whose top execs actually made fun of the die-hard PC customers who attempted to get some fair transition.

Yea, who ever could have predicted that this company would do something that wasn’t completely customer centered?
Yea that’s the company I’d want to be depending on to ensure my (forced) online game experience.

Betcha’ even Nostradamus is sitting there with his 5.0 going…”who would have thought!”
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:52 am
@DrewDad,
Have you seen the Hitler reacts to the SimCity launch?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 08:45 am
@boomerang,
It occurred to me that EA DDOS'd their own servers....

(Distributed Denial of Service)
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 06:05 pm
@DrewDad,
Electronic Arts Announces Change in Executive Leadership

Quote:
Electronic Arts Inc. today announced that John Riccitiello will step down as Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Board of Directors, effective March 30. The Board has appointed Larry Probst as Executive Chairman to ensure a smooth transition and to lead EA's executive team while the Board conducts a search for a permanent CEO. The Board will consider internal and external candidates with the assistance of a leading executive search firm.

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 02:37 pm
@DrewDad,
EA Games was named the worst company in America by Consumerist.

Here's their reply:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7303675392/hD1A35D95/
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 07:37 am
@boomerang,
EA Games won the award two years running:
EA Makes Worst Company In America History, Wins Title For Second Year In A Row!
http://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/

The voters to that infamous award truly lacked perspective.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
SimCity still broken despite EA 'fix', users moan
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/simcity-still-broken-despite-ea-fix-users-moan-50011046/
0 Replies