Damn, Now I Might Not Even Be Watching A Half Hour Of TV Daily

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:06 pm
the only news anchor worth watching has retired

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/programs/1815849.bin?size=sw300x100

Kevin Newman (born June 2, 1959) is a Canadian journalist and news anchor. Since 2001, he has been anchor of Global National, and currently also hosts Global's weekly newsmagazine series Global Currents.

Life and Career

Newman was born in Toronto, Ontario. He began his career in broadcasting at CHRW radio in London, Ontario, becoming the first news director and working on Western Mustangs football broadcasts as the campus station of the University of Western Ontario formally organized. After graduating, he landed his first job as a reporter for Global Ontario in 1981. In 1986, he moved to CTV as the network's parliamentary correspondent, and in 1988 he joined CBC Television as a reporter and anchor, hosting Midday from 1992 to 1994. He was also a substitute anchor on The National.

In 1994, Newman moved to ABC News in the United States, where he anchored World News Now until 1996 and served as a correspondent for World News Tonight. In 1998, he was named co-anchor, with Lisa McRee, of Good Morning America. The show, which had been struggling in the ratings, continued to perform poorly, and Newman was reassigned in 1999 to other reporting duties within ABC.

Global National
In 2001, Global Television launched Global National with Kevin Newman, and hired Newman as its first anchor and executive editor.
In 2004, Newman and Global National toured Canada on the Decision Canada election tour, in advance of the 2004 Canadian federal election. The other networks followed suit with their own version of the tour. Later in 2004, Newman was the only Canadian anchor to anchor coverage of the U.S. presidential election from the United States, as Global National broadcasted from the studios in the network's bureau in Washington.

Newman received the Gemini Award for Best News Anchor in 2005 and 2006. Newman, along with Global National's Kenton Boston, Doriana Temolo, Marc Riddell and Jason Keel won the Gemini Award for Best Newscast in 2007.
Newman also writes an online blog, and occasional columns which appear in the National Post.

In terms of ratings, Global National competes closely with CTV National News as the most-watched national newscast in Canada.

Newman will be leaving Global National on August 20, 2010. Dawna Friesen was named as his successor on July 13.

i'll probably watch his replacement although i would have picked the weekend host Carolyn Jarvis if the decision had been mine
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@djjd62,
Quite frankly, and only in my opinion probably, TV news in general, sucks. It's too sensationalised.

I think radio news is superior, or online.

Here we have a station called CKNW that's pretty good.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:22 pm
@Reyn,
i've always liked the Global anchors for the most part

overall, i also like radio news
Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:26 pm
@djjd62,
I don't listen to CBC radio that often, but news is something they do very well.

Do you agree that TV news is more sensationalised than radio? I guess in part because it's visual.

I get a lot of my news (especially local) online. The station that I mentioned above, also has a good internet site HERE.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:33 pm
@Reyn,
i don't watch any cable type news, only broadcast (and only the 1/2 hour national broadcast, virtually the only tv i watch) , i find that strictly news channels have to go overboard because they have to try to fill 24 hours with about one hours news max

i do tend to listen to CBC radio for most of my news, but sometimes i like the visual and Kevin and the Global national broadcast did the job with class and dignity in my opinion
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:08 pm
@djjd62,
He looks a lot like a girl...
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@Rockhead,
wait, i've got a news man-crush Shocked

naw, the weekend host (who is a girl) is way cuter
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:19 pm
@djjd62,
How can a high school kid like Kevin Newman retire?

He's a KID!

sheesh

the cops all look like they're 12 years old, and now a kid like Kevin Newman has the nerve to retire.

(he is kinda cute in a nerdy canajun kinda way)

(CBC radio news all the way, all the time)
0 Replies