Why can't I speak properly?

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:18 pm
I have trouble talking. When I go to speak I know what I am going to say but when I say it my words get all jumbled up and my mind goes blank. My mum thinks theres nothing wrong with me so she ignores it. I also have bad memory. I find it very hard to communicate because when I go to talk nothing makes sense
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 20,364 • Replies: 22

Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:31 pm
@OkamiKaji,
I used to be the same. Just take a second to relax before you speak, chose what you're going to say and stick with it and say it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
Have you ever had an evaluation by a speech therapist? How long has this been going on? You need a physical.

You may also be under stress and getting tongue-tied.

Try singing the words in your head before speaking them. It will help you relax.

How old are you?
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:45 pm
I also think you should visit a speech therapist. Stuttering is curable, if that is the problem. Just find out what is wrong, or right, with you. Do you live around someone who yells at you, or butts in when you try to speak?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:52 pm
@OkamiKaji,
Sometime being tongue tied habitually and confused while speaking but not in your head can be symptoms of dyslexia related disabilities.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@GoshisDead,
I agree with that Gosh, I can't spell at all, it's like a form of dyslexia, spot on there Gosh.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
As indicated by others above go to a speech therapist to correctly diagnosis. Jumbled speech or stuttering is it? Stuttering is different from jumble noticed when starting words.

Examples:
Regular speaking: How are you today?

With stutter: H..h..h..ow are you t.t.t.t.tata..ta..d.dd.day?

A relative of the stutter where which some words are repeated: How how are you today?

Jumbled speaking: Today you how are?

Is this something new or has it been a lifetime affliction? If new then there may be maybe brain damage some sort which CAT scans and MRIs may spot. If always been have you like this then of course your mum isn't concerned. If it's new see doctor play it safe.

At one time I stuttered when nervous, calm self squeezed eyes tight shut deep breath and clear resumed talk. These days I speak properly but since a medical matter leave words out off or and rearrange them when writing and my eyes don't catch it until later. May be related to dyslexia. If on the other hand you say nothing maybe you're smarter most than.
OkamiKaji

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:13 am
@Sturgis,
I am 17, it is fairly new it started a few months ago. Most of my sentences are jumbled, I start with the last word and end with the start word. Instead of saying something like: Nice to meet you.
I end up saying something like: You to meet nice.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@OkamiKaji,
Are you more or less affected with these speaking troubles depending on the target audience in which you are talking to?

Friends? A cute girl or boy? Authority figures? Persons of whom you respect and/or fear? Etc...?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:18 am
Okam - what you have described is common when tired, under stress or when the thinking is faster than the speech. Try to relax.

Sometimes just a smile is better than speaking, anyway.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:30 am
@OkamiKaji,
That must be very frustrating for you.

I'm with the others and think you should seek out some help. Could you go to your family doctor and get a referral?

I'm curious as to why your parents don't think this is important, but you're old enough to go do the doctor on your own, so maybe you should. Communication is key - you have to be able to express yourself. Good luck.
0 Replies

KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:29 am
Hi my name is james im 20 years old, a few years ago i was very out going and could speak with confidence around my friends and even strangers. Im not sure what happend but now i can't talk or interact properly with even my family and its making me very depressed. I can say a few words then i can't string a sentence together and just sieze up and its very embarrassing. I used to have many friends but now im a loner with no friends and even my family have lowerd there contact with me and i just feel so down. But when i speak online i can talk ok and hold a conversation but in person im just not capable of it anymore. My mind just goes bland and my hands sweat and i don't know what to say or where to put my hands i just feel so arwkard around people now. I can't even go to the supermarket without feeling nervous but im not sure what im nervous about its so wierd i just feel cut of from everything as i look around at happy people talking fluently with each other and i dont know why i cannot do this. I now have no friends now they all slowly started avoiding me as i don't think anyone wants to be with someone who can't even talk properly and allways looks so nervous as me ,also i see no one apart from my dad but i can tell he knows im nervous and im not sure what he thinks about it as i was not like this a few years ago and there has been no specific reason why i have turned out this way. He even asked me if i was on drugs as i can't even speak to him and look him in the eye its so strange and its killing me inside. I have never taken drugs in my life only alcohol. When i drink/ (am drunk) i can talk fluently as if all my anxiety has gone that is how i want to be confident so i can get on with my life. But i cannot be drunk all the time as i need to work everyday. Even people at work avoid me now as they look at me as a shy nervous wreak and they laugh at me so i hid away on my tea breaks. I have thought about killing myself as i can't handle this anymore i hate leaving my house and i just feel like im the only one this nervous around people as when i watch tv etc everyone is so confident and people actually listen to them as they can talk fluently and with supreme confidence i aspire to be like that but i can't se a way to gain confidence at all. I know it must sound a bit much but i hate this so much even my family are disowning me. Does ANYONE have a solution or can help me please. Thanks.
KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:40 am
@Sturgis,
hello my name is james can you respond to my post please I cant communicate with people I need help I don't know what to do its destroying my life and me slowly. Is there anything that will help me .

http://able2know.org/topic/160307-1
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 10:46 am
@KawasakiKMX,
Hi James.

Have you seen a doctor about this?
KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:04 am
@ehBeth,
Hi beth. I haven't I don't go out anywhere im not sure what to do should I go into the doctors?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:13 am
@KawasakiKMX,
If you have a change in your ability to communicate you should see a doctor to begin to assess why it's happening. There could be physiological/medical reasons and/or there could be psychological reasons. In both cases, there could be some treatment options.

I'd definitely suggest making an appointment with your family doctor to begin the process of determining the cause of the change.
0 Replies

KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:14 am
@KawasakiKMX,
I guess you speak fluently and confidently like everyone else how do you keep up with conversations? I feel so alone and just so depressed with everything my only friend is my cat and obviously it can't talk I need a solution if there is one.
KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:16 am
@KawasakiKMX,
Ok I will do that thanks there is no reason for it it just happened gradually over time thanks for actually commenting you are the first person ive tried so many sites
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:27 am
@KawasakiKMX,
Please do make that appointment and come back and let me/us know how it goes.
KawasakiKMX

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
Ok ill try to book one soon thanks .