the protests hardly impressed

fansy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:40 am
Quote:
“I think it’s only fair that I speak up for those who can’t speak for themselves,” said Aimee Hernandez, 28, one of an estimated 400,000 people who turned out in Chicago, the site of one of the largest demonstrations. “I think we’re just too many that you can’t just send them back. How are you going to ignore these people?”
But among those who favor stricter controls on illegal immigration, the protests hardly impressed.

What does "the protests hardly impressed"? Does it imply that the protests had not produced any desired impact? Or the people had not been impressed by the protests?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:16 am
@fansy,
It means the reference to size of the demonstration, had no effect on those who wanted to enforce illegal immigration legislation.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:52 am
@fansy,
Quote:
What does "the protests hardly impressed"? Does it imply that the protests had not produced any desired impact? Or the people had not been impressed by the protests?

The meaning is fairly clear from the sentence, taken as a whole:

Quote:
.... among those who favor stricter controls on illegal immigration, the protests hardly impressed.

In other words, certain people (i.e. those who favour stricter controls on illegal immigration) were not impressed by the protests.
0 Replies

dknichol

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:54 pm
@fansy,
Try This?
“I think it’s only fair that I speak up for those who can’t speak for themselves,” said Aimee Hernandez, 28, one of an estimated 400,000 people who turned out in Chicago, at the site of one of the largest demonstrations. “I think we’re just too many that you can’t just send us back. How are you going to ignore us?"
But among those who favor stricter controls on illegal immigration, the protests were hardly impressive.

He is speaking collectively; in your quote, the tenses are changed. The tenses must remain constant.
0 Replies