Jury vs. Judge Trials

gollum

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:04 pm
Trial judges preside over jury trials leading to a verdict by the jury.

Do judges ever communicate how any of those verdicts differ from the verdict he or she would have decided?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:49 pm
@gollum,
Times when a Judge overturns the jury verdict/decision. I'd say that indicates how the Judge would have decided.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@gollum,
I think some judges have done this, but not in any kind of systematized way. It is more in the nature of a judge saying "I've presided over (x number) of jury trials where I disagreed with the jury's verdict." Judges, however, are certainly not required to report how many times they would have ruled differently from juries. The most definitive indication of disagreement, as sturgis points out, is when the judge overrules the jury by means of a judgment N.O.V., but I doubt if there are any statistics on those. If you're looking for a study where an analysis is made between how the jury ruled and how the judge would have ruled, I don't think it exists.
0 Replies