How do you put a price on your artwork?

shepaints

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm
Interesting perspective Osso. Since I work on commission quite often, I quote a price on an
estimated per hour basis plus the cost of materials.

At present, I am doing a commission of a very sentimental subject for someone who is recently
out of college and not very
affluent. Being the softie I am, I am giving her
the lowest rate possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:06 pm
I understand the sentiment, shepaints, and surely have sympathy for your pricing for that commission.

However, among people who actually practice painting, etc. as a profession, a way to make a living.. pay the rent that is due, consistency is important re pricing equivalent pieces. And again I mention that buyer number 1's work is devalued monetarily if not intrinsically by a lower price for buyer number 2. Sometimes buyer 1 will know buyer number 7, and even if not, I question it.

I understand the other side of this coin, painting to express oneself and giving away all the work, or keeping it all.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:09 pm
I don't believe it is all or nothing given the
multiple venues which we have today as artists to
market work.....i.e. the internet, studio tours,
juried shows, large outdoor shows etc.,private sales etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:40 pm
That was an aside, as some people who participate in the art forum don't choose to sell their work, and I didn't want to leave them out, even thought the Topic is about pricing.

Once one chooses to sell one's work I think one should treat the selling as a business, but it is really not my business how anybody else chooses to price unless they have an agreement with our particular gallery.
0 Replies