Weekend breaks?

Lorna

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:04 am
I'm into weekend trips at the moment, and with time off from Uni coming up, I'm thinking of traveling again. Weekend trips because they are easier, a good way to get a taste of a place for a longer stay, and I can see lots of different places in a short space of time. And so, where in Europe should I go for my next short trip? And do you travel this way, on the spur of the moment, so to speak? Share your adventures.

Thanks,

L Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:27 pm
Absolutely.

This weekend my wife and I will travel to Galveston for a marvelous Christmas festival called "Dickens on the Strand", where in addition to the wonderful sounds and tastes of the season, everything is themed according to Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", including costumes of the period and a parade that features about forty bagpipers.

Earlier this year we went to an A2K Gathering in Austin and had a marvelous time meeting several of my favorite people on the board.

Between Christmas and New Year's we will drive to Natchez, MS and tour some antebellum homes.

Weekend getaways really are in many ways better than extended vacations, especially for those who can't afford to be away long (for financial or other reasons).

I think you should go to Florence, in order to see the Uffizi Gallery and the Duomo where Michaelangelo is buried, or anywhere in the province of Tuscany.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:28 am
Hi PDiddie,

I am a major Dickens and bagpipe fan so have fun!

Italy has always been at the top of my list, going there for a long vacation when I graduate--and Tuscany is the first place I'll visit...I love museums and gallaries and all that good stuff!

Have fun on your trips!

L Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:57 am
A place that I like is Nerja, on the southern coast of Spain.

You can get a plane to Malaga for not too much money via EasyJet and there is a nice little hotel in Nerja (La Paraiso, I think, I'd have to look it up) that will pick you up and return you to the airport for about $50 each way.... cheaper than a car, though there is a good car rental place by the airport. Relax on the beach, stroll the town. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

ADDED: Here's a link:Paraiso del Mar
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:49 pm
Almost any place in Europe would be wonderful for a weekend break. (if only! - the 24 hour flight each way does put a dampener on some things!)

A weekend in London! In Dublin! Amsterdam! Paris!

Arrrrggggghhhh! Wanna go now! And my Italy trip has been postponed Crying or Very sad

I acually flew to Christchuch, New Zealand for a weekend, for a surprise birthday party, 2 years ago.

Now - I'm thinking of going to Melbourne to scare the daylights out of Msolga! (this is a secret!)

I am fortunate, though. A friend has an apartment on the beach about 2 hours down the coast, that I am ablw to run away to, about once a month, catsitter willing! The change is marvellous!
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:18 pm
Piffka wrote:
A place that I like is Nerja, on the southern coast of Spain.

You can get a plane to Malaga for not too much money via EasyJet and there is a nice little hotel in Nerja (La Paraiso, I think, I'd have to look it up) that will pick you up and return you to the airport for about $50 each way.... cheaper than a car, though there is a good car rental place by the airport. Relax on the beach, stroll the town. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

ADDED: Here's a link:Paraiso del Mar

Hi Piffka,

That's about the fifth vote for Spain! Thanks for the link! Have you ever been to Malaga?

Hi margo,

I went to Dublin recently, it was wonderful!

Beach front flats are the best! So are surprise visits!

Enjoy your next break!

L Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:43 pm
I've been to Malaga twice. There weren't any other rooms left anywhere in town, so we had to take a suite at the AC Malaga Palacio. It was gorgeous -- on the curved corner of the hotel overlooking the boulevard below, with the Medi in the background. So cool, so modern, so absolutely fabulous and such an incredible view that we stayed an extra day. (It was also way too expensive.) I'm sure we missed a lot in Malaga, but I liked Nerja better. It is more accessible and the beaches are nicer.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 11:36 am
Piffka wrote:
I've been to Malaga twice. There weren't any other rooms left anywhere in town, so we had to take a suite at the AC Malaga Palacio. It was gorgeous -- on the curved corner of the hotel overlooking the boulevard below, with the Medi in the background. So cool, so modern, so absolutely fabulous and such an incredible view that we stayed an extra day. (It was also way too expensive.) I'm sure we missed a lot in Malaga, but I liked Nerja better. It is more accessible and the beaches are nicer.

Gotta love overbookings, you get bumped up to nicer places, lol...more accessible...how?

L Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:41 pm
Well, Malaga is big and has big city traffic. There are more things to see, museums, etc., but they are all spread out. Nerja, is a little place, you can walk from one end of town to the other in 30 minutes, or you could spend all day strolling around the little alleyways & visiting shops. I don't think there is a single museum... but there is an interesting Moorish ruin about 20 minutes beyond Nerja that has a museum -- you'd need a car. That's also on the way to Granada & the Alhambra, 2 hours from Nerja through awesome scenery. A couple of white hill towns, Torrox and Frigiliana, are nearby -- they are both quite an uphill hike, I'd also hire a car, or at least take a taxi to Frigiliana and walk back downhill. Nerja has some hidden coves at low tide where you can be off by yourself and there are big beaches with the typical bars & rental lounge chairs. Nerja's main claim to fame is la Balcon Europa. In the photo below, it is the large gray plaza to the right.

Quote:
Bordered on all sides by acres of farmland, Nerja is an international, easy-going town, with more emphasis placed on recreation than the fast-paced lifestyle of Málaga, indeed you could be forgiven for thinking you had relocated to the French Riviera. Although popular it has managed to evade the high-rise buildings and invasive development schemes which have dominated the larger resorts in recent years. The mountain views which surround the town are also extremely impressive.

Young visitors will find Nerja's laid-back, easy-going ambience just a little too relaxed for comfort, but for those who want to sit back and forget the more hectic attractions of the Coast, this is the place to do it.

Nerja Beaches

http://www.4beachnuts.com/custimages/beach167/nerja1.jpg

The hotel I was recommending is just off the photo to the right. There were some ugly, half-completed building on the west-side of town... but there's no reason to go there. Very Happy The east-side is better, there are also some nice-looking condos to the east for longer stays or more people.

See, now if you go, you'll probably hate it, but I wish I could go back this winter... I'm going to Mexico instead.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 09:00 am
Sounds lovely! Enjoy Mexico, too...
0 Replies