They're not marrying much now.

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:18 am
There was an interesting statistic reported on the radio news here a few days ago. 55% of Australian weddings in the last 12 months were performed by celebrants. ie, not religious ceremonies. We seem to be moving away from it at an ever increasing rate. For that I am very happy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,064 • Replies: 58
No top replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:26 am
If by celebrants you mean civil ceremonies. I do not know the statistics but I would venture a guess that it is even higher in the US that is when people even bother with a wedding ceremony.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:40 am
We went for a civil ceremony, but with Jews, Catholics and Muslims on the guest list, do you blame us? Heh heh. We did it with class though, and kept the riff-raff off the list of invitees.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:17 am
Yeah, I kept the rif-raff off my last wedding list too - meaning that I didn't show up.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
Re: They're not marrying much now.
Wilso wrote:
There was an interesting statistic reported on the radio news here a few days ago. 55% of Australian weddings in the last 12 months were performed by celebrants. ie, not religious ceremonies. We seem to be moving away from it at an ever increasing rate. For that I am very happy.

Dear Wilso do you see civil marriages to be more meaningful:?:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:34 am
In many countries, a religious wedding is not legally binding, so there needs to be a civil service - which may or may not be followed by a religious ceremony. Nothing new there.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:50 pm
Re: They're not marrying much now.
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Dear Wilso do you see civil marriages to be more meaningful:?:

It's the growing pace with which the church is losing it's influence in this country that overjoys me. I've never made any secret of the fact that I detest the interference of the church in people's lives.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:28 pm
I hear ya Wilso. I've never been married and probably never will, but it isn't for the same reasons you express. I've been engaged several times though, LOL!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
Nancy and I have lived together for about 22 years now.

We decided early on not to ask the state or any church to give their okay to our relationship.

We're doing just fine.

We have attended several weddings during our time together -- and a couple of them are in trouble.

Marriage is for people who want it -- man and woman; woman and woman; man and man; woman and several men; man and several women.

I'll stick with living together.

(We do refer to ourselves as "my wife" and "my husband.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:41 pm
Frank
That's exactly how I think. If I care that much about someone then there's nothing wrong with living together.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:18 am
I don't agree wih Apisa or Wilso.The question is not about Individuals.It is about the larger group.We know some people are honest and don't need the Law of the Land to Govern them.We know that many people are reasonably honest because of likely punishment if not.This does not mean that I don't recogonise an uncermonised or un registered marriage.I would respect any arrangement in which people concerned are responsible.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:25 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
I don't agree wih Apisa or Wilso.The question is not about Individuals.It is about the larger group.We know some people are honest and don't need the Law of the Land to Govern them.We know that many people are reasonably honest because of likely punishment if not.This does not mean that I don't recogonise an uncermonised or un registered marriage.I would respect any arrangement in which people concerned are responsible.

You gotta flesh this out a bit, KV. I do not understand your point at all.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:51 am
same here.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
That makes three of us.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
Hi Wilso (smooch)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
Hi there :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:08 am
I will be the dissenting vote. I believe that marriage although it seems to have become unfashionable in many quarters is the way to go. It is indeed odd that what the gay community is seeking so vigorously the heterosexual community is looking to cast aside.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
It's all a matter of choice au and it harms no one ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:14 am
Some people seem to have missed the whole point I was trying to make. Simply that more and more people don't feel the blessing of the church is necessary anymore. And in fact, here at least, that's the majority. I don't really care about de-facto relationships, gay relationships-each to their own. But who cares what the official churches think? Certainly not me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:16 am
Same here.
0 Replies