They're not marrying much now.

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:35 am
Rolling Eyes
Dear aka, I don't think that religion and bar association are the problem.The problem lies with the couple involved.They could not reconcile the differances in the marriage and then reconcile the divorce terms as well.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:21 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
That would work Frank,

The difficulties would mostly seem to lie with the Bar Associations, aided and abetted by many theologists who may or may not have a pecuniary interest in what is essesentially a very personal situation.

This little observation does not reflect badly upon our friend Msgr. H. or my personal friend Atty.C. . They are persons who are trying to help other persons that are caught up in a system that is not of their own making Exclamation That they get paid for their services is, at best, only fair. It is the system that necessitates their services that we should be concerned with.

In one case the system is the Roman Catholic Church, In the other it is the American Bar Association. It's going to take a whole bunch of aware people to force a change in those well entrenched systems.

Not sure if you know, Mech, but the Monsignor has passed. He died peacefully in his sleep.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:13 pm
Thanks Frank, I didn't know. I had thought of him several times lately. Particularily as I was bottling some elderberry wine.

I think that I may go buy him a mass card. He deserves it IMO.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:39 pm
K Vee,

I am not a darned bit sure that society did not add to the problem.

We (society) asked a couple of kids with their hormones raging to make a promise that is expected to last for eternity. Then if it turns out that they are unable to keep an eternal promise then we add to the problem with the expenses of the law and the laws minions when IMO our (societys) duty lies more in ensureing a stable viable life for the children.
A young couple who may have made a misteak now is asked not only to provide for the children but also asked to satisfy the needs of the attorneys and the religious proscriptions of divorces and anulments.

Somehow I doubt that the needs of the children are being met when a good portion of their parents income is being burned at the altar of sanctimonious legislators.

So I reiterate, IMO a marrige contract shall only be valid until the last issue of such a union has reached its majority.

I think that this idea would result in fewer failed assiciations that involve minor children than we experience now.

In most parts of the US anyways less than one half of the schoolchildren are living in a home with both their birth parents.

IMO this bodes ill for humanity in general and is rough on the kids. It's also excessivly cruel to the "adult" participants.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
in most cases when a woman thinks of a wedding she thinks of all the hoopla that goes with it....now a days the furthest thing from anyones mind is what kind of ceremony it will be.

And when it does come down to having a ceremony here is my opinion...for those of you that get a chuckle out of my posts..... Rolling Eyes

It doesn't matter what religion you are when you tie the knot....if your heart is not in it....if the philosophical truth that you follow is not in your heart....you may as well forget the ceremony and just opt to spend $15,000 or better to feed a bunch of people just so the two of you can make it official to all of them that you are now sleeping together!!!! Without a sacred ceremony it means nothing!!!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:21 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:
in most cases when a woman thinks of a wedding she thinks of all the hoopla that goes with it....now a days the furthest thing from anyones mind is what kind of ceremony it will be.

And when it does come down to having a ceremony here is my opinion...for those of you that get a chuckle out of my posts..... Rolling Eyes

It doesn't matter what religion you are when you tie the knot....if your heart is not in it....if the philosophical truth that you follow is not in your heart....you may as well forget the ceremony and just opt to spend $15,000 or better to feed a bunch of people just so the two of you can make it official to all of them that you are now sleeping together!!!! Without a sacred ceremony it means nothing!!!!

There are many of us who can commit without the need for a "sacred ceremony."

Fact is, I think that many of us who commit without the "sacred ceremony" do a hell of a lot better job of committing -- than the ones who do.

As for your final thought -- well, I guess I could have snickered at it, but to be honest, it made me feel a bit sorry for you. Combine it with your first sentence -- and I'm downright sad for you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:20 pm
er, Frank. That onomatopoeia should be "sniggered"...Just trying to keep you humble, ya know. (like I could)
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:30 pm
Frank Frank Frank Rolling Eyes

I am simply saying that a marriage ceremony doesn't mean anything unless you believe in it. And that everyone is better off just living together as you do, because no one really thinks about the ceremonies anymore!!! Which makes the whole thing pointless!!!! Thats why I said you may as well just spend money on the reception and just announce that you are officially together!!!
If ceremony was important then everyone would be at the altar and their marriages would last. And I do agree that their are millions of people who don't have a marriage license who have been successfull in staying together than those who do have one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:52 am
I just heard a story recently, about a couple who had lived together for thirty years, without being married. The man became ill. The man's daughter (from a first marriage) had power of attorney. The woman had no say in how the man was to be treated medically, or, when he died, the funeral arrangements.

After the man died, the daughter took off with all the man's money, like her father's 30 year relationship with the woman had never existed.

I was very suspicious that the daughter had the power of attorney. If the couple had been married, even if the man left everything to his daughter in his will, the woman would still have been entitled to a portion of the man's estate.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:54 am
In Australia, the woman who had the 30 year relationship with him, WOULD have had a claim on his estate.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:55 am
Wilso- In the US, only a few states recognize "common law marriages". Florida is not one of them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:45 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I just heard a story recently, about a couple who had lived together for thirty years, without being married. The man became ill. The man's daughter (from a first marriage) had power of attorney. The woman had no say in how the man was to be treated medically, or, when he died, the funeral arrangements.

After the man died, the daughter took off with all the man's money, like her father's 30 year relationship with the woman had never existed.

I was very suspicious that the daughter had the power of attorney. If the couple had been married, even if the man left everything to his daughter in his will, the woman would still have been entitled to a portion of the man's estate.

But even you, Phoenix, will agree that this is an argument for taking legal precautions -- not for enduring a marriage ceremony.

In my case, it will not matter -- not only because neither side of the families would do such a thing -- but because I have taken a vow of poverty and I own so little, it would not be worth the effort.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:47 am
lost_my_calgon wrote:
Frank Frank Frank Rolling Eyes

I am simply saying that a marriage ceremony doesn't mean anything unless you believe in it. And that everyone is better off just living together as you do, because no one really thinks about the ceremonies anymore!!! Which makes the whole thing pointless!!!! Thats why I said you may as well just spend money on the reception and just announce that you are officially together!!!
If ceremony was important then everyone would be at the altar and their marriages would last. And I do agree that their are millions of people who don't have a marriage license who have been successfull in staying together than those who do have one.

Oh, Lost...Lost...Lost:

If that is what you were saying -- you should have said it.

Why waste all those other words you used earlier -- when they don't say the same thing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:13 am
Frank- You need to do one or the other: Get married, or make legal arrangements. The thing that I question though, was the motivation of the man. The woman involved was neither a very old lady, nor incompetent, which would be a valid reason for giving the power of attorney to the daughter.

What I question is why the woman (who is a business person in her own right), would stay with a man for three decades, with no legal protection. If an older couple marry, there needs to be protection for the children of the first marriages. But for goodness sakes, these people were together for thirty years!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:31 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Frank- You need to do one or the other: Get married, or make legal arrangements. The thing that I question though, was the motivation of the man. The woman involved was neither a very old lady, nor incompetent, which would be a valid reason for giving the power of attorney to the daughter.

What I question is why the woman (who is a business person in her own right), would stay with a man for three decades, with no legal protection. If an older couple marry, there needs to be protection for the children of the first marriages. But for goodness sakes, these people were together for thirty years!

I already have both a will and a living will. Nancy will get my golf clubs -- and the Salvation Army will get my clothes.

I think the problem of family members doing what this woman did is vastly overdone. Sure there are scumbags around -- but for the most part, folks love their relatives and don't soil their memory when they die with a money grab.

For those folks in "living with" situations where the problem is likely to be a problem -- they should "make legal arrangements."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:39 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

I think the problem of family members doing what this woman did is vastly overdone. Sure there are scumbags around -- but for the most part, folks love their relatives and don't soil their memory when they die with a money grab.

When one of my work colleagues died (at work) his girlfriend went to his apartment to get a suit for him to be buried in. She arrived to find his ex-wife had broken in and was going through his belongings. That is without doubt one of the lowest f**king acts I've ever heard. No wonder he split from that worthless cow. His body was barely even cold and she was already looking to what she could grab.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:49 am
Wilso- I have to agree with you. I have learned, that in many cases, death brings out some of the worst behavior in the people that are left behind. I could tell you a story that would curl your hair!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:53 am
If one has property -- it makes sense to protect the property in case of death.

My point, though, is that this does not bear on the question of marriage.

Certainly there are ways other than marriage to protect property -- and, if I may, "protecting property" is a piss poor reason for getting married.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:00 am
Frank (you old romantic, you! Very Happy ).

Quote:
Certainly there are ways other than marriage to protect property -- and, if I may, "protecting property" is a piss poor reason for getting married.

To me, it is far less complicated to marry, than to go through all the machinations that would be needed to protect assets. it is your choice though, and I respect that choice, for you. In general, I think that for the protection of the woman (especially when there are children involved), marriage, to me, seems a wiser choice.

If you think that property is a "piss poor" reason for marrying, you might want to talk to some women who thought like you, did not marry, who were left high and dry at middle age.
0 Replies