8-year-old painting prodigy is new art world star

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:18 am
8-year-old painting prodigy is new art world star
By JILL LAWLESS
The Associated Press
Friday, August 13, 2010

HOLT, England -- He's Britain's most talked-about young artist. His paintings fetch hefty sums and there's a long waiting list for his eagerly anticipated new works.

It has all happened so quickly - he's still getting used to the spotlight - and Kieron Williamson fidgets a little when he's asked to share his thoughts on art.

"Cows are the easiest thing to paint," said Kieron, who has just turned 8. "You don't have to worry about doing so much detail."

Horses, he says, are "a lot harder. You have to get their legs right, and you have to make their back legs much bigger than their front."

Paintbrush prodigy Kieron - dubbed "mini Monet" by the British press - is a global sensation. All 33 of the pastels, watercolors and oil paintings in his latest exhibition sold, within half an hour, for a total of 150,000 pounds ($235,000). Buyers from as far away as the United States lined up overnight outside the gallery, and there is a 3,000-strong waiting list for his impressionistic landscapes of boat-dotted estuaries, snowy fields and wide marshland skies.

He has a website and a business card. Strangers approach him at the gallery, asking him to sign postcards of his work. Journalists from around the world travel to his small home town in eastern England to interview him.

Kieron shrugs off the attention. "It feels normal to me," he says.

It definitely doesn't feel normal to his parents, Keith and Michelle Williamson. They are bemused, proud and a little anxious about their son's talent and its effects.

"It has been overwhelming," said Michelle Williamson, a 37-year-old nutritional therapist. She and her 44-year-old art dealer husband live in a small apartment with Kieron and his 6-year-old sister, Billie-Jo.
ad_icon

Kieron was a normal, energetic little boy, and his parents were surprised when he asked for pencils and paper during a holiday in Cornwall two years ago. They were astonished when the then-5-year-old produced an accomplished picture of boats in a harbor. He progressed rapidly to fully realized landscapes, many depicting the flat, open Norfolk countryside near their home.

"Keith and I don't paint, so we find it difficult to know what's going on inside his head," Michelle said.

"We don't understand it. We don't know where it comes from. But he's adamant it's what he wants to do. When your child has got such a gift and a talent, you have to support him."

To continue the story and photos:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081301711.html

Kieron's Gallery: http://www.kieronwilliamson.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,132 • Replies: 17
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:55 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Picturecraft gallery

http://www.picturecraftgallery.com/
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
his sense of perspective, his sense of color, and his design abilities are awesome for a kid. I always thought that it was mostly learned, seems very intuitive. Is he channeling Hopper?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:30 am
@farmerman,
My only question is how many paintings did/does he produce? Were all of those paintings in the background of the video from him and him alone? That's an insane output for any artist let alone some one who's only been painting for 2 years. Considering there's only 365 days in a year.

I hope the family isn't exploiting the child's natural talent for some kind of Charles Dickens' like financial gain and that he gets to keep most of the money in some kind of trust fund.

If this story is legit... then I wonder how his talent will progress and what new art movement he will inevitably found and nurture....
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:44 am
More Kieron paintings:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=kieron+williamson+paintings&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=sMZmTPLzG4T2tgP-vqSiDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQsAQwAQ&biw=800&bih=387

http://www.google.com/#q=kieron+williamson+paintings&hl=en&prmd=nivlo&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=sMZmTPLzG4T2tgP-vqSiDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=8&ved=0CD8QqwQwBw&fp=8ef316ce1ec537f6
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Im interested in how he coms to those feelings for light, color, perspective etc.
There was a little girl of about 11 who painted like Picasso at his peak. That was about 10 years ago when she was the "latest phenom". I wonder what happened to her?

I see this kid as being more balanced in his life. Id like to see his work develop rather than peak.
I find his work (from his thumbnails) very Hopperish rather than Monet(ish)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:41 pm
His work is remarkable.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:45 pm
yes.
the paintings are nice

but can someone please explain why they are going for so much money.

they are paintings. Thats all. Where is the value ? And why so much?
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
@shewolfnm,
They arent paintings technically. The market seems to be betting for his career to be as a stellar feature in the art world. There have been other gifted kids who broke out early and then either stayed put or advanced into the pantheon. Andrew Wyeth, (Who was a sort of savant. Vermeer was so credited (I dont know eher his history was derived from). Winslow Homer, whose work as a great watercolorist, had his latent talent develop over a period of one summer in his 20's.

I feel that the buyers are "Betting" against the house ruloes in art. Who knows, what if the kid sdoes turn out to be an ANdrew Wyeth, he will not necessarily blaze a new road . I think he will probably be one who redefines something like Impressionism of the style of Monet or Pisarro.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@farmerman,
            http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/07/article-1301158-0AB5347B000005DC-968_634x428.jpg

I like the ay hes learned contour lines as a way to draw. This is as good as Ive seen.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, Thanks for sharing that; some children who's skills are at genius level at a very young age has yet to be explained. Mozart comes to mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:47 pm
@farmerman,
You are starting to make me pay attention, but on the other hand..

Eight is early, which makes me remember there was a similar prodigy remarked about on a2k not all that long ago, who had some roots in the art world, cognizant parent, if I remember.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
this is the same kmid. Hes just 2 years older. His work hasnt advanced very far since he was 6 though. I think he needs a careful, patient, mentor teacher.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:33 am
@farmerman,
actually I meant "Kid". The more I look at his work, the more I see the beginning efforts of Winslow Homer when Homer first picked up watercolors and mastered them in a single summer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:07 am
Quote:

I feel that the buyers are "Betting" against the house rules in art.

Ahhhhhhhhh
Now that makes absolute perfect sense. I did not think of that.

All i was seeing was this child who is not established, essentially a nobody when it comes to art and work.. and people are throwing money at it.
Investing in his first stuff hoping to be one of those lucky people later who bought a "rare original blah blah blah"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:09 am
@ossobuco,
were you by chance thinking of that young girl?

http://www.artakiane.com/
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:22 am
@shewolfnm,
I think Osso is thinking about child artist Akiane Kramarik. I always thought her parents were exploiting her for financial gain.

Way back in A2K's history, I posted a series of stories and photos of her paintings. I don't know if we could find those old posts.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:28 am
I think farmer has it; I remember the last prodigy as being a boy. Of course, sometimes my memory fails.
0 Replies