Is god necessary anymore?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:07 pm
I find these discussions interesting reading. I as an atheist of course don't see the necessity for belief in a god; I merely lurk in these threads to find out what others are going to say.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:18 pm
truth
Lurk away, Edgar. Lurking is a favorite research technique of many sociologists, anthropologists--and spies. That's how effective it is for learning.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
edgar, you have to get the right terminology. "lurking" is properly termed "non-obtrusive research methodolgy"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
gotcha
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
truth
Dys, that book used to be one of my bibles at work.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
Individual,

Is God necessary anymore.
This is like asking is the sun necessary anymore.
Do we still need Love.
Your Q is a complete negative.

Is God? Do you believe or not?
necessary anymore? do you believe or not.

Is God contradicts necessary anymore.
Shocked Neutral
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:34 am
Ruach wrote:
Individual,

Is God necessary anymore.
This is like asking is the sun necessary anymore.
Do we still need Love.
Your Q is a complete negative.

Is God? Do you believe or not?
necessary anymore? do you believe or not.

Is God contradicts necessary anymore.
Shocked Neutral

Only to a closed mind, Ruach.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:23 am
Petunia, if you attribute the positive things in life to God, to whom do you attribute the negative things such as parasites and disease?

onyxelle wrote:
I think God is necessary for the World - because my personal faith leads me to believe that he is. I simply don't believe that my life is full of Gods blessings (and punishments perhaps) and the rest of the World is not. I do not believe in coincidence.

In what way is God necessary for cultures that do not believe in gods? Do you think that it is God's Will that hurricanes and other natural disasters kill Christians as well as pagans? Why do you suppose that people who do not believe in your God find that their lives are just as full of "blessings" as yours?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:29 am
Individual wrote:
Terry wrote:
What is god necessary for?

I'm asking whether god is necessary to carry out his divine plan, or keep the world in order, or whatever it is that you think that god does or would do if he existed.
Terry wrote:
You can get the same benefits from a religion that does not believe in gods.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, would you please explain?

I see no evidence that any divine plan is being carried out. Physical laws keep the universe in order without any apparent intervention to circumvent them. History does not point to any divine plan, either, unless God takes pleasure in torture, wars, famine, disease, and misery for the majority of the human race.

I think that if a god existed, it would have a sacred duty to correct its design flaws in human beings, both physical and mental, in order to spare the innocent from the unnecessary suffering these defects cause. IMO, one of its first corrections should be to reduce the testosterone levels that make many men overly aggressive and prone to fighting for political power, wars, assault, rape and abuse of women and children, and crime in general.

Even if a God were intervening anonymously, his intervention would make a difference in the world. One of the biggest problems of Christianity is explaining why God so often fails to answer the prayers of the faithful, usually by claiming that the answer was "no", it was God's Will that a child die, it was part of his Plan, served some greater good, the child is better off going to heaven before having a chance to sin, whatever.

Members of religions that do not believe in gods (such as Buddhism and Taoism) benefit from the social support from being part of a group with a common belief. People with support groups of any kind have been shown to live longer and be healthier.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:30 am
JLN, why did Nietzsche et al think that without God, moral anarchy was possible? We still have the same duty to our fellow human beings whether or not a god exists.

Fresco, a virus that suddenly eliminated belief in God would be very disruptive to societies who lives revolve around their belief. Muslims might be hit hardest, but many Catholics would be just as lost without their rituals and prayers. It would be difficult for people who rely on God to solve their problems to take responsibility for their own lives. I don't think that crime would increase if the fear of divine retribution were lost, since it does not seem to be much of a deterrent now.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:31 am
Jessie, I agree that many people find comfort in their belief, particularly the downtrodden who are powerless to control their own lives. But why should the rest of us believe in "a superior being who deserves our respect and devotion" when we have no evidence that such a being exists or is in any way necessary?

Ruach, the sun is demonstrably necessary to most kinds of life on earth, although some species can survive just fine without it. In what way is God necessary?

Love would exist whether or not there was a God. So would hate.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:32 am
Truth
Terry, I think that Nietzsche thought that without God (i.e., the belief that all moral and political authority comes from supernatural sources--as in theocracies), man was freed to pursue his own moral responsibility. Doctoievsky's character believed all was lost without the foundation of religious authority, like a child who needs his father's guidance and protection. For Nietzsche, mankind should grow up and take responsibility for himself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
Re: Truth
JLNobody wrote:
Terry, I think that Nietzsche thought that without God (i.e., the belief that all moral and political authority comes from supernatural sources--as in theocracies), man was freed to pursue his own moral responsibility. Doctoievsky's character believed all was lost without the foundation of religious authority, like a child who needs his father's guidance and protection. For Nietzsche, mankind should grow up and take responsibility for himself.

And it is about time that we do grow up -- and take responsibility for things ourselves.

Even the people who are absolutely convinced there is a GOD ought to jump on this bandwagon. Their prayer should be:

GOD, it is a big universe and I'm sure you've got other things to tend to. We're now at a stage where we want to DO IT OURSELVES. You wanna help -- don't help.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:25 pm
truth
Frank, Very Happy
Even when I disagree with you, I never lose sight of your basic intellectual sanity.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
Ya know, Frank, I've been following along here, and I gotta say I sorta miss Maliagar, in a wierd kinda way, ya know what I mean?

Like you, I'm an agnostic; I'll allow there may be a diety, but I seen no reason, given known science and probablistic trending, that there must be one. Unlike theists or atheists, an agnostic iIS open-minded on the subject; given incontravertable, reproducible, verifiable proof one way or the other, an agnostic likely would go with the evidence. In the absence of such proof, however, the closed minds of both theists and atheists preclude any such consideration. Their minds are closed to inquiry into the matter. Personally, I'm tolerant of both sorts, but I'm sorely irked by the circular reasoning and outright bad science employed by either side to prove their respective cases. Give me a good, sound, reasoned, fact-filled argument to consider, and you've got a chance, a very good chance, of swaying my opinion or changing my viewpoint. I've never seen a good, sound, reasoned, fact-filled argument from either side, and believe me, I've looked. As you and I have discussed before, I neither believe nor disbelieve; I simply don't know. I have my suspicions, and I have my preferences, which happen to be at odds with one another. Should there be a diety, I would be not unpleasantly surprised. I do not, however, realisitically anticipate such will prove to be the case. My mind is open. I'll continue to question and examine, but I accept there are some things which simply may be unknowable ... at least in my lifetime, or in the lifetime of the universe known to me.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:45 pm
this absolutely sickens me...
I feel pity for every one of you who can't come to grips with your existence.
You should be asking yourselves why you are so against it in the first place!!! And why you even bother to ignore the fact that there are things that just can't be explained...and it's not to make you turn against it and give up...its to make you search for it.
If you think that God has no use for us in this world...ya know what your probably right. I'm sure looking down upon you breaks Gods heart, but he loves you anyway. But to even fathem the idea that the world has no use for him is completely why this world is coming to an end. Its a slap in the face!!
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 11:04 pm
and by the way......have you asked God why you are feeling this way?
and how do you expect God to consider answering when you don't give him any consideration from your end? It's a two way street.
You want absolute proof that God exists?
For starters....look into your heart and not in your mind.
examine the fact that the human body is an intricate system that no man can create from a bucket of water and a pile of earth.
look at all the "what if's" in your life.
explore just how unhappy and empty you feel or have felt at some point in your life. And take a really close look at all of your imperfections vs. the special things you posess ( not material ).
Everyone is different. If everyone believed/understood in God the world would not need to exist. Our time here is precious...trying to explain God to someone who is skeptical is like trying to explain to them exactly how and when they are going to die. You just can't explain it...you just know God and Death exist. You just know. And if your not sure and don't know that these two things exist well then continue ignoring your maker and I will make a firm promise that when you do die it will be then that everything comes into focus BUT it will be too late.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:38 am
The day I see a monkey praying in church... I'll ceases to be a athiist, I'll then become a monkey.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:42 am
calgon wrote:
you just know God and Death exist. You just know.

No, it is KNOWN that Death exists; it is universally observed, it is reproducible, and it is verifiable. It IS NOT KNOWN whether there is a diety or not. It is believed by many that there is, but, by definition, a deity would be a transcendent, paranormal entity, and therefore outside our sphere of reference and hence unknowable ... submitting neither to proof nor disproof, unobservable, not reproducible, not verifiable. Belief is one thing. Information derived through the rational and critical assembly and consideration of independently reproducible observations of phenomena which leads to consistent accurate explanation of past observations and applications and accurate prediction of related new observations and applications is entirely another thing; it is fact as near as can be determined given the available data. Note the "as near as can be determined given the available information" caveat there ... that is what science, logic, and reason are all about. Something new may come along either through directed research or by serendipity, calling for a reappraisal of previous theory, and ther process goes on. It is how knowledge is gained. It is dynamic, it is not a closed loop.

Religion, on the other hand, is a closed loop; iits sole claim to legitimacy is in and of itself; there is no external proof or reference. "Of course there is a god, because I, and all those I hold in respect, believe there is a god ... and you are a lesser being if you refuse to accept that". That's a pretty lame, exclusionary, self-limiting, intolerant, perfectly circular argument. It simply does not stand to logic or reason, and therefore perforce is illogical and unreasonable.

One can no more provide a forensically valid argument for the existence of a god than one can provide such an argument against the existence of a god. The only objective, rational conclusion that can be reached is "Insufficient data". Some are convinced beyond doubt one way, some another, and some are capable of living with being unconvinced, but willing to consider the matter one way or the other, and some of them put effort into actively exploring the issue. I don't know you at all. calgon, nor do you know me. I assure you, however, that while I may not share your belief set, I do not disparage you for it. It would be only just and right for you to extend me the same consideration. In fact, if you are truly Christian, you have to.

I have some knowledge and experience, both practical and academic, of religion in its many manifestations. I'll happily discuss, critique, compare, and contrast any of several versions of The Bible with you, or The Koran, or The Bhagavad Vita, or The Talmud, The Tibetan Book of The Dead, the Graeco-Roman Pantheon, the Nordic Myths, or Zoroaster, Gilgamesh, Martin Luther, Gregory I, Thomas Aquinas, C.S. Lewis, Budha, Confucius, Teilard de Chardin, Mary Baker Eddy, Bishop Usher, Voodoo, Polynesian cults, Native American shamans, and lots, lots, lots more (including Thomas Moore) ... been there, done that, found it less than satisfying. I most certainly do not approach the subject from total ignorance npr with a closed mind. I'm curious as hell. I just haven't found the answer yet, and while I don't know whether there is or is not an answer available to me, I intend to continue to look for one. To do otherwise would be intellectually disonest, and bankrupt both morally and ethically. Its wonderful you find your own particular belief set fully satisfying. It works for you, and thats fine. Your belief set doesn't work for me, and that's fine too, believe it or not.

You wrote:
and by the way......have you asked God why you are feeling this way?
and how do you expect God to consider answering when you don't give him any consideration from your end? It's a two way street.

Thats just silly ... you're saying that in order to believe in god you have to believe in god. I suggest you look into Circular Logic. Have fun. Laughing

For more fun, try to grasp this:

A positive, integral function f(n) has an unlimited set of instances, so
that

Setf(n) = {f(1), f(2), f(3),...}

This set contains an unlimited number of finite subsets

Setf(k) = {f(1), f(2), f(3), ...f(k)} k<=n,
the cardinal of the sets being k.

These subsets possess an obvious property.

Given that f(n) < f(n+1) and k <= f(k),

every f(k)th subset of f(n) will include its own cardinal ("k").
Other subsets will contain a member r>k.

Therefore, every subset will contain a member m>=k.

Now, this property will be true of Setf(n) however great n may be.

If, in extremis, Setf(n) is regarded as infinite the following alternatives
exist:

(1) If all the members of Setf(n) are regarded as remaining finite, then the
cardinal of the set remains finite

(2) If the cardinal of Setf(n) is regarded as infinite, then the set must
contain infinite members greater than its cardinal.

Mathematically, as setf = N = { 1,2,3,...etc } has to be an infinite set containing nothing but finite numbers, a condition which cannot pertain, neither alternative can pertain, though logically, one or the other must. That's sort of like trying to prove there is or is not a god; either way, the process of establishing a given proof invalidates that proof. To do so would require there be simultaneously an infinite number of proofs that there is no infinity, and a finite number of proofs that there is.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:09 am
lost_my_calgon wrote:
this absolutely sickens me...

Yeah, when I read what you wrote, I was sickened too. Why did you write it if you knew it was going to do that?

Quote:
I feel pity for every one of you who can't come to grips with your existence.
You should be asking yourselves why you are so against it in the first place!!! And why you even bother to ignore the fact that there are things that just can't be explained...

Hello!!! Earth calling Lost.

We KNOW there are things that cannot be explained.

What we are wondering about is why folks like you make guesses about those things and then consider those guesses to be....how shall I put this...ahhh, gospel!

Don't you realize that?

We are not disputing that there are mysteries.

We are wondering why people like you suppose you have answers for those mysteries in these superstitions you call religions.

Quote:
and it's not to make you turn against it and give up...its to make you search for it.
If you think that God has no use for us in this world...ya know what your probably right. I'm sure looking down upon you breaks Gods heart, but he loves you anyway.

Why do you folks always trot out this "God loves you" nonsense? Can't any of you think of a better or novel way to suck up to these gods?

Quote:
But to even fathem the idea that the world has no use for him is completely why this world is coming to an end. Its a slap in the face!!

Stop being so afraid, Lost. The world is not coming to an end -- although I would love to think we are growing up enough to finally dump all these barbaric gods we've invented.
0 Replies