Is god necessary anymore?

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:25 pm
Genesis
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earthÂ…
And god said, Let there be light: and there was light.

He created heaven, earth, waters, land, light, and darkness. He made fish, fowl, animal, and man. Then he rested. He intervened a few times throughout history according to more than three different religious texts. But has anyone seen him lately?

Is the person who created everything and controls everything needed anymore?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,690 • Replies: 118
No top replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:37 am
The idea that most religions have is that God is continuously renewing and recreating everything, and making it run and keeping the laws of physics in working order and so forth. Deism I think says that God just started everything and left, though.
0 Replies

eyelovedirt

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:48 am
my opinion
One of my core ideas in life, is that there is NO answer. That's the answer to the religious question to me. There are many ways to live a fulfilling life. Some are better than others for different people. Some people never reach a point of being able to live a life they find fulfilling. Usually it is in their grasp, but they just don't look at the puzzle correctly. Living a fulfilling life is all in perspective, and finding one that will allow a person to live happily, healthily, and if civilization is to exist, in a cooperative manner with fellow man. Quality of life seems to be increased when we not only cooperate but understand and can reach a mutual confidence with one another...but two words that characterize life for me, are "almost" and "unknown". we never reach the end, and we never KNOW the final answer to it. so what more can we do but try to get really good at the chase and enjoy it and help others to do the same...constant improvement...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:01 am
Genesis records Jewish creation myths, not facts.

We do not know that a god was required for the universe to have come into existence and for life to have evolved. There is no scientific evidence that there ever was a god, or needed to be.

If there really was an entity that deliberately created fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, parasitic worms to infest the eyes of children and hearts of dogs, venomous snakes, wisdom teeth, menstruation, Alzheimer's, ebola, poison ivy and tobacco, he has a lot to answer for. He was amazingly inventive when coming up with parasites and diseases to torment innocent children and animals, but clueless when it comes to ameliorating the consequences of his design errors.

There is no evidence that he is still around, if he ever was. Children are abused by his priests, hurricanes are not turned aside, people still die in spite of diligent prayers, wars go on, famine and pestilence cause untold suffering. Since no god has stepped forward to fix this mess, it looks like we are entirely on our own.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:14 am
You say deism, I say theism,
let's call the whole thing off!
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:57 am
I think that the questions and views expressed by Terry are valid.Granted that God won't come forward to defend Himself against Terry's allegations,Is there any God's representative around?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:05 am
Anymore????

Was God -- or were any gods -- ever NECESSARY?

I agree with Terry -- and think not.

If there is a God (one of the many possible answers to REALITY) it seems to me the best guess that can be made about It -- is that It has left us to our own devices.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Anymore????

If there is a God (one of the many possible answers to REALITY) it seems to me the best guess that can be made about It -- is that It has left us to our own devices.

Dear Frank Apisa It is not fair to let down your own client in this case! Act before God exclaims "You too Frank"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Anymore????

Dear Frank Apisa It is not fair to let down your own client in this case! Act before God exclaims "You too Frank"

Ya lost me on this one, KV.

I'd love to reply (can't play golf, it's snowing) -- but I honestly do not understand the point you were trying to make.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Laughing Just making fun of you dear Apisa.That apart I find that you're attracted to questions about God.I want you to be elaborative about God as I'm also disappointed about God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:41 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Laughing Just making fun of you dear Apisa.That apart I find that you're attracted to questions about God.I want you to be elaborative about God as I'm also disappointed about God.

Just having a bit of fun myself, KV.

I'm an agnostic.

I do not KNOW if there is a God or not -- and I really, truly do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to make a meaningful guess in either direction.

The topic interests me very, very much -- because the topic seems to interest everyone very, very much.

It also happens that I feel the agnostic position on the issue "What is the REALITY" has been given short-shrift -- mostly because agnostics tend to just say "The Hell with it."

When I discovered these forums -- I decided to advocate the agnostic position as forcefully as I could. I had been doing that locally in local newspapers before getting on-line.

It has been fun.

I'm looking forward to encounters with you on the issues.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:52 am
Thank You Apisa. Yes,people either take to belief in God or absence of God and very few like you demand Proof! But,it rather looks contradictory.Behind our Agnostic stand we're really eager to Know for sure about God - Is it not?

See you latter Dear Apisa.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Thank You Apisa. Yes,people either take to belief in God or absence of God and very few like you demand Proof! But,it rather looks contradictory.Behind our Agnostic stand we're really eager to Know for sure about God - Is it not?

See you latter Dear Apisa.

Proof is what you make it! I used to think I needed to see a miracle until I experienced it. I was really wrong about that.

Acts 16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:33 am
Two comments, KV.

One: I'm interested in your take on what Husker just wrote.

Two: The last thing in the world that I am asking for -- is PROOF.

I NEVER ask for proof -- unless someone actually says that they can "prove" that there is a God (that has happened a couple of times) or that they can "prove" there are no gods (that has also happened a couple of times).

I would be more than satisfied if a proponent of either side (theist or atheist) were to offer ANY unambiguous evidence in either direction. Frankly, I've never had a theist or an atheist offer anything even remotely close to unambiguous evidence for their position.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:45 pm
Deism actually refers to a specific set of ideas, not a general theological belief, I believe.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:50 pm
I should study more into deism...sounds good.
Let's take things in a different direction:
Can the world survive without god or does it need his contant supervision?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:11 pm
Individual wrote:
I should study more into deism...sounds good.
Let's take things in a different direction:
Can the world survive without god or does it need his contant supervision?

We don't even know if there are any gods, Individual. Your question truly does not make any sense.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:11 pm
Assuming there is a god...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:04 pm
The only need for gods ever to exist was for a crutch for frightened minds that couldn't come to terms with the accident that is their existence, and to explain things they couldn't understand.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:44 pm
Damn good answer
0 Replies