Social Distinctions

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:17 pm
The world has become a place where the strong don't survive, only the attractive do. We separate ourselves from each other not by purpose or creed but by acceptance. Jock, nerd, blonde, partier, religious enthusiast, cutie, hottie, intellectual, moron, punk, authoritarian, JAP, WASP…The distinctions go on and on.

We all feel like we aren't accepted because there is always at least one place where we aren't. Why are we so concerned with feeling accepted by everyone when very few deserve to accept us?

Why do we care what people think about us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,162 • Replies: 31
No top replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:42 am
I don't know, why are you so concerned with being accepted?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:51 am
Quote:
The world has become a place where the strong don't survive, only the attractive do.

I don't know where you got that idea. It is true though, that everything else being equal, an attractive person WILL find that doors open for him/her much more easily than for unattractive people.

The next question is, "what is "attractive" ? If we mean physical beauty, that may give people easier entree, but in order to really succeed, you must have more than a pretty face and body. The handsome or beautiful face may get you in the door, but a person needs more than looks to succeed over time.

Is intelligence, warmth, compassion and caring, attractive? I think so. And this kind of attractiveness does not have to be wrapped in a beautiful package to be noticed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:01 am
Re: Social Distinctions
Individual wrote:
The world has become a place where the strong don't survive, only the attractive do. We separate ourselves from each other not by purpose or creed but by acceptance. Jock, nerd, blonde, partier, religious enthusiast, cutie, hottie, intellectual, moron, punk, authoritarian, JAP, WASP…The distinctions go on and on.

We all feel like we aren't accepted because there is always at least one place where we aren't. Why are we so concerned with feeling accepted by everyone when very few deserve to accept us?

Why do we care what people think about us?

Sounds like you are the one to answer that last question.

And if you would, could you explain what you meant when you wrote:
Quote:
Why are we so concerned with feeling accepted by everyone when very few deserve to accept us?

Perhaps in explaining that, you will get some insights into other things.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
The need to be accepted by a group evolved because it is easier for human beings to survive as part of a group, and cohesive groups are more stable. People who have a strong desire to fit in will alter their behavior to sustain the group and in turn will receive approval and support from members of the group.

If your emotional needs are met by belonging to the groups of your choice, you shouldn't feel left out because others don't accept you. Ideally you would have enough self esteem that you would not worry about what anyone else thought of you.

Dividing the world into "us versus them" seems to be hard-wired into human behavior. You know what to expect from members of your own group, but cannot rely on outsiders. Membership in a group gives you rights, privileges, and the expectation of proper treatment by other group members. Membership in as many groups as possible (as long as it is not considered traitorous) should increase your sense of security.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:44 am
So many groups, so little time.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
Jeez - if I have to 'fit-in' to all the categories and groups out there I'll have no time to just BE.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:50 am
Quote:
Why are we so concerned with feeling accepted by everyone when very few deserve to accept us?

I think that you are making a false generalization based on your own personal perception of things.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:02 am
As an incredibly attractive person, I resent the implication that I've had it "easier" in life or that I was somehow "privileged." Please, don't hate me because I'm beautiful -- not when there are so many better reasons for hating me.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:37 pm
Smile Joe

It all depends on what you want to see.
Take a really good look around you, become aware of all the faces and bodies you surrounding you, and you'll see that your wrong.
Attractiveness and your ideas of 'placement' depend on the pedestal you design. You'll find, rarely do two people have the same measurement systems. Looks only matter to those obsessed, most people find other traits far more interesting and find value in them.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:03 pm
Joe - I hate you! You beautiful hot young stud! In order to get over my hate and to stop wishing that you would fall down an open manhole as you stroll along the street, please send me a full-color picture of you nekkid. That's all I want from Santa! Thank you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:24 pm
I would consider Heeven, if that indeed is her in the avatar, to be one of the most stunningly beautiful creatures I have ever seen. Those eyes! And that nose.... wow! And she's got that little Mona Lisa smile thingy going. And the way she wears her hair, that tussock provocatively displayed on top.... I'm telling you, it's drivin' me mad.

But what is really intriguing is the background. Take a look. It's my friggin' swamp! Heeven has been to my shack!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/0c25d5f33e6d153e186b4.jpg

Good lord, I hope she wasn't looking in my window when I was dismembering that tax collector.

Or when Priscilla and Gertrude had me tied up.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:31 pm
A few of you guys took this the wrong way...

Quote:
why are you so concerned with being accepted

Personally, I could care less if I am accepted or not but I'm asking why humankind needs acceptance.

Quote:
Is intelligence, warmth, compassion and caring, attractive?

Attractiveness does not always mean physical beauty, it is anything that happens to attract your interest.

Quote:
And if you would, could you explain what you meant when you wrote:

Quote:

That was an unconnected idea that came out...we feel like we need to be accepted by people even if they are jerks and users.

Quote:
Quote:

I think that you are making a false generalization based on your own personal perception of things.

This is a debate forum and I suppose that entitles me to my own opinions

Out of all of the responses, I'd say that Terry hit this one right on the nose. Are there any other ideas out there?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:37 pm
Alright, let's change that a little bit. What makes you think that people place themselves into two dimensional groups? The phenomenon you see here is people categorizing other people, not people categorizing themselves.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
If someone is judging others then they place them into some instantly recognizable, organized group.

However, if people don't fit into any large group then they single themselves out not into the 'alone' group, but their group consisting of I.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:51 pm
Well, that's what I mean. People don't put themselves in constructed groups a lot of the time. They do put themselves more firmly into universal groups such as nationality, gender, age, maybe even race or religion, but they don't confine themselves further, usually. And even with the above categories, a lot of people consider themselves more or less separate from them as well. The groups are only for the purpose of relating to others, not for defining onesself.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:55 pm
Exactly, good answer.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 07:39 am
Spank you gus - I am a rare bird. I did visit your shack and I ... well if you can't remember, I'll do a Paris Hilton and release the video soon ...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:37 pm
truth
Well, Individual, I think that part of the answer to your question(s) is that we do seem to be social animals, generally unable to survive without others with whom we share (approximately) a common world view and language. Psychologists used to generalize that one of our "universal" traits is a drive for "positive affect," the need to be appreciated by some others. The social identities or character traits that we use to pidgeon hole ourselves and others are not too different from the categories we use to make sense of everything in our lives. The problem is how to do so rationally and ethically.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:51 pm
What would happen to an individual if he just stopped caring what people thought about him, if he was truly unique (and not in the Emerson sense) and did what he wanted when he wanted without a thought to how awkward or silly he looks?

Psychology says that any person who does that is destined for suicide but I refuse to believe that.
0 Replies