Social Distinctions

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:04 pm
truth
Individual, I agree. I'm not sure that all psychologists would make such a dire prognosis, however. As long as the individual has acquired a culture with its language, he would survive better (longer) than would a feral child. His eccentricities and indifference to others' opinions would not matter if he really didn't care, AND if he did not need their help at times. We see hermits throughout the world, in particular we see mystics who prefer to live by themselves (only SOME of them receiving alms of food from nearby villagers). I was referring earlier to the fact that our SPECIES is physically ill equipped to survive without the cooperation of his fellows, and this cooperations requires language, culture, and some kind of social organization, particularly in the form of an economic/productive system.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:06 pm
When I look at my own life, I feel that whatever my personality, I've been successful in making long-term friends. I must have done something right; and followed the necessary social codes. My 'oldest' friend is a guy I grew up in the same town, and for some unknown reason have kept in touch. He's now an actor. Another guy I met when we were both stationed in Morocco in the late fifites, and we've sent each other christmas cards ever since - going on almost 45 years. I just lost a good friend last year, and we've known each other for 44 years. I also have 'friends' around the globe (non-A2Kers) from Tanzania, Australia, Singapore, France, England, Germany, Egypt, Japan, and all across the US. We also have our 'local' social group, most of whom we've known since we were all single, made up of seven couples and four single ladies. We get together several times a year for social functions including our annual white elephant party in January. None in our group ever divorced, although some of our children have. I guess for me, it's never been a matter of being "accepted." People have been kind and generous to me most of my life. When I look back at my past and current situation, I'm in awe of my own life. It's been a great trip.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:14 pm
truth
Cicerone, you are very fortunate to be able to say that. From what I know of you, you would be the kind of friend I would hate to lose.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
I would also like to know why we invent fake distinctions such as creed or political affiliation. How could we possibly gain from that?
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
Every human I have ever known wants to be accepted and loved. They do it by making friends, having families, being in clubs, and defining a group where they fit in. For someone to feel accepted, they have to be part of something. Society doesn't demand it, human beings as social creatures do.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:50 pm
truth
Xifar, you are undoubtedly right. BUT there are exceptions to this rule: hermits and the many social phobic people who go to great lenghts to avoid society. In the latter case, however, these sociophobes usually have at least one or a few people with whom they are comfortable and need.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:30 pm
People have been known to become hermits, and live in very isolated places to be alone.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 05:30 pm
Why would anyone chose to be alone?
Because Emerson and Thoreau told them to?
Because they can't stand human indecencies?
Because they just don't like people?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
Some people are introverted, which is not anything bad. I'm an introvert, and never feel comfortable in large groups, or for prolonged times in company. I would suggest that there are othes far more introverted than i, who would wish to eschew company altogether.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:08 pm
If you were isolated from any communication with anyone for a year, would you care?
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:20 pm
I used to be very attractive back in the Ice Age. But there were no doors to open then.

I like to be accepted, specially by a big-butted female squirrel. The others are of less concern to me.

In my infancy I felt isolated. My home town was far away from everything. Have you ever been to Bolungarvik? If you grow up there, and leave the town, you'll never feel lonely anymore ('coz you have experienced all the loneliness you can get).
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:28 pm
Feeling isolated and being isolated are completely different.
0 Replies