What does being rational mean?

mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:35 pm
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex!

Or to make compulsory self-fulfiling statements, even?

Mark...
thack45

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Who determines what is and what is not rational?
The superior of an arbitrary system of subordinates will determine what is and what is not rational.
I would like to edit my post to read...
Quote:
In an arbitrary system, the superior of the system will determine what is and what is not rational.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:59 pm
@mark noble,
My answer to your question has already been stated, but I wanted to bring up a fine point.

My wife and I always argue, because we both think we're right. The most aggravating thing for me is that she loathes logical arguments and becomes condescending and derogatory if I try to point out the facts. When I ask for her logic so I can understand why she believes she is right she states, "Because I know I'm right. I just don't know how to explain it." To be fair to her in time her conclusions have proven to be right, but I have no clue how she got to the right conclusion.
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
@Pronounce,
Hi pronounce!

You and I are standing on top of the empire state building. You say to me "I think it will be quicker if we take the elevator back down". I reply "No it won't, the stairs will be the quickest way." You glare at me in disbelief and firmly reply "Are you mad Mark? Can't you figure out the blindingly obvious - Elevator=8 minutes, stairs=54 minutes?" I calmly smile and say "You are incorrect in your logic today pronounce." You are angered by this and take a swing at me. I evade the blow by performing a reverse flip, spin, and kick you in the throat. This sends you hurtling from the tower to your certain death. You escape death somehow and return to confront me about the quickest way to reach ground level. I smile once more, and say, "Trust me on this pronounce. "You are livid, but more restrained this time because of the events of the past. You say, "Tell me!!! What makes you so damn sure that your logic is correct?" I reply, "Because it is."

We then decide to leave and go for a coffee in central park. You head for the elevator and I head for the stairs. "See you when you get there then." You say, as we part. I smile and take to the stairs.

I am in central park sipping my coffee when you finally arrive. You are red in the face and in a seemingly submissive frame of mind. You say, "Guess you were right about that then." I smile and say, "Yes, I know"

You say, "How did you know the elevator was broke?" I smile, and say,"I overheard a technician talking about it to his colleague, when you were busy trying to catch pigeons."

Mark...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@Pronounce,
Pronounce, I'm having difficulty trying to understand your point. Can you provide us with an example of what the issue was, what she said, and what you said, and why she turned out to be right?
parados

@mark noble,
Quote:

One man's real is another man's false.

But from a rational standpoint one man's real could also be the same man's false.
cicerone imposter

@parados,
Can be true.
parados

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But only if rationed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
@parados,
Only when it's not contradictory. The saying goes, you can't have it both ways, although in real life it happens. Want to have your cake and eat it too!~
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:14 pm
@mark noble,
I supposed your point from the first. But that would be a poor example of what I was trying to say when arguing with my wife about any given topic. A better example would be choose elevator A or elevator B, of choosing between East stairs or the West stairs. I would argue that the technicians have programmed elevator A to pick up passengers every 5 floors, and elevator B is programmed to pick up passengers on a first come first serve basis. My argument would be that elevator B could make several stops, and even go up before down. And elevator A should get to the ground floor faster due to less stops. She would just say elevator B is the fastest. No reason, no logic. Elevator B would end up getting to the destination first. Just because.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
@mark noble,
I think if I fell off the building and survived that I would have to say that falling was the fastest way down.
HexHammer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:17 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Or to make compulsory self-fulfiling statements, even?
I'm afraid I dont' quite get your idea, could you please explain, provide evidence ..or whatever.

Pronounce

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have no specific argument. My reply to Mark Noble about the elevators is a good one though. It could be about what roads to take to get to a destination. (and she's orientationally challenged) It could be who to ask to get the fastest response. It could be about how to best arrange furniture in a room (and she's spatially challenged).

When it comes to math, science, and logic my wife does very poorly on her own. But she's very talented at relationships and socializing so that she has no problem at having others help her get through her math and science courses (well the one required math course she had to take that is.) When it comes to writing, grammar, teaching, or any subject that requires recall, organization, and/or administration skills she's at the top of the class.

I do a lot less arguing now then I use to. I tend to just go along with what ever she wants. (This doesn't help a whole lot, because she gets upset as she knows what I think even though I don't voice it.) If my thought was right then it will be proven, if not then I don't have to hear about it. Plus it saves a lot of time spent arguing.

By the way even though math and science are my skills I don't even try to attempt to teach my wife, because it always ends up badly. I've tried to step her through the process showing her each step, and she just gets frustrated after point two or three. She never wants to be shown how to do something. She just wants the right answer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:40 pm
@Pronounce,
Gee, sounds like most wives...
Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:52 pm
@Pronounce,
Pronounce wrote:

I think if I fell off the building and survived that I would have to say that falling was the fastest way down.

Smile
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex!
Do you get satisfaction from posting comments?
Of course you do.
Then your comments are self-fulfilling.

Even if you post for purely masochistic reasons, t'is so,
As are everyone's. (Mainly the former though)...I hope.

Simple deduction produces simple resolves.

Mark...
mark noble

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:16 am
May I just add - Certain individuals posts I cannot see anymore, because I am using the ignore function. I see names in other's posts though.

Parados - you are on ignore. So anything you post I will not see.

Mark...
parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:25 am
@mark noble,
I guess for mark, "rational" means putting people on ignore.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:38 am
@parados,
Laughing
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:27 pm
@mark noble,
You should know better, not all posts are giving forfilment, nor does all your posts give you forfilment, only a minute part of them.