kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 09:14 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken!

You are applying variations to the facts here.

War is war, Cheese is cheese, nothing is nothing, Ken is Ken, pyramids are pyramids, etc.

Do we have to do this every few days or so?

On the subjective hand - "one man's war is another man's peace", but even then, what each individual labels it...it is.

A kangaroo cannot be a church - It is a kangaroo.

Kind regards Ken!
Mark...

Since I understand speakers of English, and in order to understand language at all, it has to be understood in context, when I hear someone say "war is war" or "business is business" I do not believe that he is uttering a pointless and empty tautology. If someone says, that it doesn't matter whether innocent civilians are killed because war is war, I usually don't reply, "You must be right, because X is X is a necessary truth".
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
@Arjuna,
If you were looking at everything, I'd assume you'd be using a system much more constructive then eyes. For example, incredibly advanced sonar might be able to give a 3d image not blocked by objects in front of other objects or hindered by being able to look in one direction at a time. This you could do from anywhere.

Is everything everything? The question is silly, of course it is, unless you're using two different definitions for either everything. 1=1, 2=2, x=x, everything=everything.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:53 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

If you were looking at everything, I'd assume you'd be using a system much more constructive then eyes. For example, incredibly advanced sonar might be able to give a 3d image not blocked by objects in front of other objects or hindered by being able to look in one direction at a time. This you could do from anywhere.

Is everything everything? The question is silly, of course it is, unless you're using two different definitions for either everything. 1=1, 2=2, x=x, everything=everything.

A. Are we packed?

B. Yes. We have everything.

A. Is everything everything? (Did you remember the cat's litter basket?)
Zetherin

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:55 pm
@kennethamy,
Who'd say it like that? They would explicitly say, "Get the damn litterbox!". Right?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:11 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Who'd say it like that? They would explicitly say, "Get the damn litterbox!". Right?

Nah. My wife would bop me on the head with the litter box.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:54 pm
@Zetherin,
I would say, "Why do we suddenly have a cat? I hate cats!" Then I would beat the cat to death with a hammer and feed it to my dogs.

Mark...
Zetherin

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:03 pm
@mark noble,
But why feed it to your dogs? Cat is delicious. I suggest grilled asparagus with a lemon butter sauce on the side.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:49 pm
@mark noble,
You seem to be a little emotional about cats. Have you had bad experiences with them or do you have some other reason for your response?
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:19 pm
@Zetherin,
Hi Zeth!

Thank you for the laughter I now am enjoying!

Have you really tasted cat though?

Thank you again!
Mark...
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:24 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

Yea, when you ponder the idea of totality, you're "looking at everything" so to speak. Obviously you can't look at everything. Your eyeball can't see itself.

The issue of perspective is involved... and I'd go on about it because it's fascinating to me... but I've discerned that such a discussion wasn't Mark's aim.

By the way, Mark.... send me all the good vibes you want.... I need 'em.
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
Hi RL!

I have nothing against any creature - man or beast.
I was jesting.
I did have a problem with cats toileting themselves in my garden once, digging up seedlings too, and breeding (noise of, and offspring).
I spent about £2k fencing it all off, about a quarter of an acre. So I've stopped seeing them as a pest now.

It is legal to kill a cat here if it is a being a pest. Not a lot of people know that (UK).

I did shoot some with an air rifle I own before the fencing project, not with pellets, raw-plugs (the little ones) stuffed with bluetac, blutack, bluetack (how do you spell that?). It was to shock them, but from 20 yds or so, it just made them look at me a bit daft.

Journey well RL!
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:37 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

You can discuss turtle soup on my threads, if you so wish///Anything you like in fact!

Have the most brilliant of evenings, my friend!
Mark...
Arjuna

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:57 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Arjuna!

You can discuss turtle soup on my threads, if you so wish///Anything you like in fact!

Have the most brilliant of evenings, my friend!
Mark...
I've never had turtle soup. Does it have turtle meat in it? The first thing I ever caught with a fishing rod was a turtle.... we freed it. That kind of turtle bites.

Had a rough day in the ole intensive care unit.... guess it would have been worse if I'd been a patient or family member though.

So a "peace be with you" might get me closer to brilliant.

But on perspective... there's a great thread somewhere in the old philforum stuff where Jose Ortega y Gasset was discussed at some length. I've never read anything by him... but that would make a great thread at some point.

I'm tapped out intellectually right now... but I'm interested in where you're going with these threads. In a couple of days my thinking cap might work again..... and thanks!
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:20 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

Nor have I. I expect it to have turtle as an ingredient though. I've never seen a real one, they avoid britain as a rule.

Working on an intensive care unit would be way too demanding for me.

But it must be hugely important for those who are holding on to life with their fingertips, to know that there is somebody there that has their best interests in mind. It would be to me anyway.

May tomorrow snare a brighter dawn.
Mark...
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:42 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi!

Is it?

Thank you!
Mark...

yes