Will & Grace: godsend or walking cliché?

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:54 am
Aggh, I hate Will & Grace as of late. The first few series were satisfactory, and the other characters- Jack and Karen- had some potential, despite being completely stereotypical; but now... well, what happened? It just seems as if the execs had taken an old 50's show, made a few characters gay, took all the charm out and bottled it. To me, it's a few jokes over and over again, recycled from one episode to the next. What do you think? Am I right, or do you feel that I'm talking rubbish, and that it's a great show? What are your opinions?

P.S. Yes, I am aware that I'm probably one of the few anti-Will-and-Grace people in the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,932 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:34 am
Nah, you have an ally here, but I've hated it from day one. I also hate how the dude who plays Will needs to constantly bring up his wife in interviews and award acceptance speeches as if to scream to the world: "I only PLAY a gay character on TV....I'm not GAY!" Grrrrrr....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:40 am
Yay! I thought that you might agree with me, cav. I would never have ranked it in my top... 500... shows, but it just got worse and worse to me.

As for the 'wife', I'm thinking façade...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:02 pm
I never liked it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:26 pm
It's only saving grace (sic) is that it kept the idea alive. It has moments of really inventive comedy but too much of it is formula. Now if they could do a gay show something like "Curb Your Enthusiasm."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:28 pm
Now, Curb Your Enthusiasm is an absolute riot :-D
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:11 pm
Can you imagine a gay character stumbling through all the pitfalls of gay society? He wouldn't know if he was coming (sic) or going.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:28 pm
<shakes head> shame on all of you :-)

I actually liked Will&Grace until about season 2, when the phenomenon you all have described started to occur :-)

Now I get my dose of gay-ness from Queer Eye, and I'm happier for it :-)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
It was one of my favorite shows.
Now I hardly ever watch it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:06 pm
Harry Connick was definitely a jump-the-shark moment. I mean, he's cute, but...

The whole premise loses its raison d'etre if Grace is married, even if she's rife with insecurity blah blah blah... It was funny when she was single and insecure, annoying when she became married to a gorgeous sweet doctor and was still insecure.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:12 pm
. . . especially since the entire grab of the first season was that at any minute Will would give it all up to be with Grace. . . :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:33 pm
It's the kind of show, like Friends, that I have never been able to watch for an entire episode.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:19 am
I wonder how many more series both of these (Friends and Will & Grace) will last?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:53 am
I loved a few episodes of the first season of Will and Grace. Haven't seen it for at least a year. It started to graaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaate on my nerves.

I often think the Brits had/have the right idea. If you have enough 'concept' for 6 episodes, then there will be 6 episodes. Don't try to squeeze 13/16/21/26 episodes out of a 6 episode concept. Give us 6 great episodes and GO AWAY, far away, til you come up with more great ideas.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:00 am
ehBeth wrote:
I loved a few episodes of the first season of Will and Grace. Haven't seen it for at least a year. It started to graaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaate on my nerves.

I often think the Brits had/have the right idea. If you have enough 'concept' for 6 episodes, then there will be 6 episodes. Don't try to squeeze 13/16/21/26 episodes out of a 6 episode concept. Give us 6 great episodes and GO AWAY, far away, til you come up with more great ideas.

That's my ideal too, ehBeth; I think that you should leave in good esteem; six crappy series will usually diminish one's opinion of a show, even if there were two good ones. Seinfeld stopped before it began to be monotonous: Frasier didn't, which is a shame; I feel that the last episode should have been Niles and Daphne realising... something was lost after that happened.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:44 pm
Yeah, it's a classic thing. There's this whole "will they or won't they?" tension, then the answer is "they will!" and it goes waaaaaaaaaaay downhill. Happened with "Cheers", happened with "Frasier", happened with "Friends", basically (they've milked Ross and Rachel for so long I don't CARE anymore), "Moonlighting" is another famous example, etc., etc.

I liked "Mad About You" in that it showed them AFTER the happily-ever-after wedding, didn't bother with will they or won't they. BUT, of course, where it went bad is when they injected will they or won't they with the whole therapy/ threat of divorce. Oh, and the kid. I guess "will they or won't they have a kid", and the answer being "they will", is its own problem.

Anyway, yeah, wish they would quit when they're ahead.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:55 pm
What one has to realize is that these series don't depend on miraculous story revelations but ones involvement with the characters and some new jokes. They're all feature length movies streched out for hours so they are really the fast food of entertainment. They had the opportunity to play Will's attraction to Grace and visa versa which took about one season and then faltered. They have come up with storylines to give Grace something else to do but, guess what, they've given virtually no storylines as a diversion for Will. They're still afraid of letting him get involved in a long time relationship? They play jokes on this but that certainly became tiresome quite quickly. Karen and Jack have have had more involving storylines than Will.

"Frazier" at least has tried to come up with some new inventive storylines like the Mavis murder case and that's been fun as the sibling rivalry is brought to a head.

"Friends" is going into a last season that should have ended last season.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:03 pm
More evidence that the brits do this sort of thing much better. I like that there is sometimes a two or three year gap between short series of episodes. You just KNOW that if they're coming back, they've thought of something new/different/interesting - and that they were able to convince the actors of it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:12 pm
It is the pressure of the series "season" to which now, in truth is peppered with a lot of reruns. HBO and Showtime are wise in giving one just enough and then going to a long hiatus -- "The Sopranos" couldn't even get Emmy nominations one year because there were no new shows! But then, that show is worth rewatching just to pick up on all the enthralling nuances of the characters. I probably understand Tony Soprano better than any of my relatives or friends!
0 Replies