What Chelsea Clinton's Wedding Says About Religious Syncretism

plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:45 am
@ossobuco,
I know that you have a thing about discussions of looks, which, to some extent I share. This pouncing on Chelsea because she fails to meet some standard of beauty, perhaps, based on advertising, is unfair. From what we have seen, Chelsea has lived a productive and quiet life and the family's ability to shield her wedding from extravagant publicity is remarkable.

But, I will say that taken as a whole, men age less well than women. Just glance through the pictures posted on online dating services or take a walk through a city. I am including grooming in aging. The men our age seem to have lost the ability to use a comb!

It just occurred to me that you may be right. Some of these men seem to have reverted to middle school boyhood in terms of their grooming. While it is a return to childhood rather than a graceful aging, boy, men of 60+ are a rather sorry looking lot and it is their own fault.
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:50 am
@plainoldme,
it's funny, i rarely think a bride looks good, because i hate dress up crap

and i love chelsea's hair (or at least the way it looked the last time i saw a pic of her) so it being pulled back and hidden in that veil head piece thing is horrible
plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:46 am
@djjd62,
She's been straightening it for some time. While I never thought Chelsea looked much like either Hil or Bil, I could see in the group picture that they shared the same cheekbones.

I miss dressing up although I do wear a skirt (more often than slacks) with either a twin set (paired sweaters, a shell and a cardigan) or a cotton blouse with an intarsia knit cardigan or a blazer when I teach.

We've become all too casual in our dress as a society. I took a resume writing workshop during the summer of '07. The instructor had us envision and then report on the environment in which we wanted to work. All the other women wanted to wear jeans or business casual.

Not me! I want to wear skirts and nice shoes, which, for me, means 'European comfort shoes,' and not Jimmy Chos!

I miss cocktail dresses and evening gowns!

And, I do not blame the hippies and the 60s for this downgrading of dress. yes, the hippies popularized jeans, but, that was as a sort of a anti-commercial statement. The first bell bottoms I saw were handmade: the bottoms of leg seams were opened and triangles of cloth were inserted in the lower legs. Furthermore, hippie chicks often wore dresses and sparked the movement toward long dresses for concerts, weddings, etc., that lasted about a decade. Finally, there were very hippies to begin with. Because there were 'followers of fashion,' it just seemed like there were more of them!

Furthermore, if this were the right wing nation that some posters here think it is, why are the righties dressing in jeans, which were a sort of badge of rebellion for the hippies, who have all disappeared, fading into professions, small businesses and other ventures.

Now, I was chewed out by a woman who said that she wore jeans because she was non-conformist while I wanted to dress up because I was conformist. What a crock.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:04 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Foofie wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I do not see why religion may be more important to a male, than a female, in a relationship
He regularly attends his church, from what I can see she rarely/never does hers. Friends suspected that she might convert, said that there was zero chance that he would.

Libraries are for the literate.

If libraries are only for the literate, and most libraries in the US are inviting grounds for pedophiles seeking little kids, what does that say about the literacy assoicated with libraries?

"Inviting grounds for pedophiles"? I take books out from libraries. I am not familiar with your statement. Books are too expensive these days to buy them, for me.

Buy your used books from Powells. They're not expensive.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:05 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2010/08/03/08012010_01clinton_photo2__1280864828_5308.jpg

oof, she needs to put a bit of the chub back on, her face doesn't do thin very well, plus let that hair down, i loved her curly mess of a hair do

Too formal a wedding to have messy hairblowing in the wind.
Miller

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:07 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Quote:
Which particular Orthodox Jewish communities are you talking about?
Seems like a strange thing to say considering that Orthodox male Rabbis are now involved in the US with the ordination of female Orthodox Rabbis.

Apples and oranges

Apples oranges? Only to the non-Jew.
Miller

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:08 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

All women age more gracefully than men. As a 63 year old who is asked whether I am 50 yet, believe me!

Who's been doing the asking?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
@Miller,
The answer that women are now becoming Orthdox rabbis has nothing to do with Orthodox Jews marrying outside of their own circle, hence, apples and oranges. The subject each time is Orthodox Jewry but the predicates are completely different.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@Miller,
Several people each week.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:59 pm
Is there supposed to be some form of execution worse than marrying Chelsea KKKlintler?

Death of a thousand cuts? Staked out over fire ants??
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:16 pm
@gungasnake,

A date with Gungasnake.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:18 pm
@gungasnake,
How about marrying you, gunga?!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:19 pm
@JTT,
You're a poet but I bet you know it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 09:00 pm
Here we go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEVp7Fcjr9c

plainoldme

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:19 am
@gungasnake,
How disappointing! I was expecting you re-enacting the Old Spice Commercials!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 02:12 am
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2010/08/03/08012010_01clinton_photo2__1280864828_5308.jpg

I love this photo of them. I think Chelsea looks beautiful and I like the way her hair mirrors her mother's - they both have beautiful, thick blonde hair with what at least appear to be natural highlights- although Hilary is turning very attractively silver now. Blondes are so lucky - their grey just blends so beautifully.

Chelsea's features are very large and bold - usually her mouth seems to overwhelm her face, but here her large, accented and expressive eyes seem to balance her large smile somewhat.

Bill looks proud and happy and I think Hilary looks wonderful. I've always loved the way the Clintons have been with their daughter. They both seem to have a wonderful, supportive relationship with her.

Can't you rightwingers put aside your politics for one day to let this girl have her happy wedding day?
Miller

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:14 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I love this photo of them. I think Chelsea looks beautiful and I like the way her hair mirrors her mother's - they both have beautiful, thick blonde hair with what at least appear to be natural highlights- although Hilary is turning very attractively silver now. Blondes are so lucky - their grey just blends so beautifully.

Chelsea's features are very large and bold - usually her mouth seems to overwhelm her face, but here her large, accented and expressive eyes seem to balance her large smile somewhat.

Bill looks proud and happy and I think Hilary looks wonderful. I've always loved the way the Clintons have been with their daughter. They both seem to have a wonderful, supportive relationship with her.

Can't you rightwingers put aside your politics for one day to let this girl have her happy wedding day?

Looks like Bill didn't buy a new suit for the wedding and on top of it, he's lost a lot of weight.
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:15 am
@Miller,
that's why i avoid weddings at all costs
Miller

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:16 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that's why i avoid weddings at all costs

Nothing beats a very tight wallet...
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:18 am
@Miller,
got nothing to do with it, i've given gifts and not gone to weddings, hate all the pomp and ceremony

barefoot in the backyard, my idea of a happy day
0 Replies