Brook Trout Recipes?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I've improvised cooking fish before and basically ended up poaching the fish.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 05:50 pm
Lady Diane once poached some salmon, wild alaskan salmon, I couldn't eat it. tasted like spam to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 05:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have a perceived bias, I just don't get crusted fish. Like **** around old prawns.

Sorry. The last places I could get fresh fish on the plate were Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Eureka/Arcata. Certainly not trout in New Mexico.

I'll be glad to have your prove me wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 05:57 pm
@dyslexia,
I had really great wild salmon, very fresh. I got then why people might like the wild fish.

I can't answer for whatever you two ate.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and, I admit I don't know all about brook trout.

But you call real wild salmon spam. You're the putz.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Cornmeal or cracker crumbs or flour, each has something to add and each imparts a different flavor and crispyness. In New England weve often taken clams and dredged em in corn meal or cod in cornmeal and its wonderful. Osso, by being a frood snob, I think you miss a lot of different flavors.

Italian is but one way to cook, not the only way.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:05 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, nice.

I'm interested in many foods. Italian is all you remember, since I am loud about it, that was my last interest after asian. I'm a tad hostile to midwestern thickcoating of crap. Cripes, how you misread me.

I don't hate all coated and fried food, but, truthfully, am re most of them around my new city. (Bring your good knife).
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe its the way you say stuff, you often come off like a foodiesnob . Breading or crumbs on a fried fish like sunnies or brookies (or walleye) are a MUST HAVE for campfire frying. Anyway, were trying to help Roberta and Dys's recipe is numero uno, (followed up by my tarragon and butter broil).

Poaxched fish is ok for stuff like blue fish or shark, where theres a "Gamey or piss" flavor in the meat
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Well, hey, I am just me. I've lived many years, decades, without crusted fish. That was what you got at scenario restaurants or chains where I lived.

Dys and I argue weekly, if not more, we're ok, it's been years now.

Too bad I sound like a snot. You want to see me adulterate down? You like me to bat against, admit it. I'm not that sophisticated, I'm interested over many years and post. Get over it. You want me to be a blob?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:00 pm
@Roberta,
The matzo meal and butter will work just fine.

If you've got any kind of herbs around, mince a bit into the matzo meal.

Dredge the fish.

Cook it in the butter. It won't take more than 3 - 4 minutes per side, unless it's a humungo brook trout.

Plain bread and butter, or a small pan of fried taters are all you need to make it just fine.

I like mine with a squoze or many of lemon when serving.

This time of year, a couple of fat slices of fresh stinky tomato with salt would make this a perfect meal.

Enjoy the brook trout.

(I'm envious, and that's in spite of having whole fried rainbow trout with lemon caper sauce on Thursday, and poached cod in ginger and green onion on Friday. Love me some fish.)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, I'm doing a coating of cornmeal or matzo or whatever. Is not the taste then re the coat?

What is wrong with a squeeze of lemon or this or that on a fish?

I so don't get this coat ****.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:17 pm
I'm unloved.
http://able2know.org/topic/159455-2#post-4303044

Well, most of us like arguing.

Swimpy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:18 pm
Here's how I do trout: Fill the inside with lemon slices, salt & pepper and fold it shut again. Lube the skin with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 until done. Prolly 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I raised your crestfallen and depleted thumbs score back to equilibrium and the balance of the universe is once again settled.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:20 pm
@Swimpy,
I really like this idea. The fish is effectively steamed in the lemon juice. I'd definitely try that if my oven was working properly.
Surprised
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good move, Swimp is a sharp cook,
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yep, the flesh gets perfumed by the lemon and stays very moist while the skin crisps nicely.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I think you may be conflating breading and dredging fish.

I don't care for breaded, well, anything. Don't mind a panko-battered fish in some situations. A flour/egg/crumb dredged fish is a whole other thing from breaded or battered.

Not sure why you think people are against lemon with fish. CJane, farmerman, swimpy and I have all mentioned lemon in relation to how we serve brook trout.

I'm not a fan of cooking brook trout with lemon. The flavour of the brook trout is too delicate to stand up to it IMNSHO. Rainbow trout, ok, brook trout, not ok.

Serving lemon with the brook trout, definitely ok.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:31 pm
@Swimpy,
Cough
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:49 pm
I had forgotten why I don't post on food threads.