Brook Trout Recipes?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Good for you. You don't mind panko battered fish or breaded or otherwise battered. .

That is not in my interest and I think of it all as silly.

If you have an actual brook trout, I'll back off.

I have had fresh trout many times, but I'm not sure it was ever immediately out of a brook.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:59 pm
@ehBeth,

I am very not interested in breaded, panko battered (what?), or, more interesting to me, tempura battered bits..

I get tempura battered.

But you are right, my primary yelling is that I see giant areas of the US dredge frying elderly fish.

A giant joke.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 08:03 pm
@dyslexia,
Yeah, you hate to be argued with.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 08:11 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I had forgotten why I don't post on food threads.

It is frustrating talking about food when one knows one can't get a taste of said food when the person asking for help finally cooks the meal.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/Fetus_Burrito/Hungry-LazyDilemma.png
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Why would you do that to wild salmon?

Plus, you got it in Denver?

Ah, that was a riposte to dys.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 10:15 pm
Da fish is gone (except for the head, which is in the garbage). I elected not to dredge. Why? My mother made all fish with dredging and frying. I got bored.

Opted to saute in a bit of olive oil and butter.

I overcooked it a bit. Never made this before.

I melted some butter on top of the cooked fish and added some fresh lemon juice. Not half bad. I had it with tart cucumber salad.

I wouldn't go out of my way to order it again. I'm a shellfish fan. My one food luxury I get is that shrimp that didn't arrive. It had better show up next time.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

BTW, the fish was farmed. I don't know when it was caught, but it smelled very fresh.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
Here in Maine the mercury levels are so high that there are these warnings, most fresh water fish are not to be consumed by children at all and only once a month for adults and never by pregnant women...

I just had a tetanus shot my first in ten years and my doctor said I should not have had the shot because of the mercury levels. Well consequently my muscles and pain levels have skyrocketed through the roof since that shot. I have been set back months in my therapy for my vitamin D deficiency...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 03:39 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:
Quien sabe?

Say what again?! Maybe I need to eat more fish as I have no idea what that means.

tsar, Sorry I didn't respond to this yesterday. I hate to keep you in the dark. Quien sabe is Spanish for "who knows."
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 04:11 am
@Roberta,
Gracias.
Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 04:33 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Gracias.

De nada, amigo. Que pasa, keed?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
Brookies make nice little tin foil dinners. put some salt, pepper, lemon zest, sweet butter, crushed garlic, in the cavity some onions, sliced zuccini, or any other vegetable that cooks easily around it. Wrap it in foil and stick it on the grill or in the coals if you have a charcoal grill.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 11:30 am
@GoshisDead,
sounds good to me....
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
@ossobuco,
Its how I grew up. When i was a kid I'd be out creek fishing all day long and me and my buddy would just build a little fire and cook fish for lunch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 02:53 pm
@GoshisDead,
ANYTHING BUT ZOOKINI> GOD I HATE THAT ****> otherwise the brookies in foil sounded most elegant. Id add a little tarragon o course.
0 Replies

supreet

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 02:33 am
@Roberta,
thanks dude for telling this..........

trolling lures

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:03 am
... or you could cook it in parchment, Roberta, like in this recipe. (which would need to be halved, as it's for 2)
I've often cooked fish in this way & really like it. (You don't actually have to use as much butter as recommended in the recipe. I generally use considerably less, but the lemon juice is essential.)
Not nearly so much oil as in frying & the flesh is really juicy because it's been sealed in the parchment "package" while cooking. Yum!
And no frying pan to wash, afterward! :

Quote:
Whole Trout en Papillote

Recipe from Cooking for a Quarterback by Yolanda Banks and Levon Porter , Brown Publishing.

Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Yield:

2 servings

Close
Times:

Ingredients

* 2 whole trout, dressed
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup sliced sweet yellow onion
* 2 handfuls fresh herbs (thyme, parsley and rosemary)
* 3 tablespoons lemon-shallot butter, recipe follows
* 1 lemon, sliced
* 2 tablespoons dry white wine
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* Parchment paper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper large enough to completely cover the fish when folded. Wash and dry the trout. Using a knife, score the fish on 1 side by cutting slits into the flesh just until you feel the bone. Season the trout generously, inside and out with salt and pepper. Spread 1/4 cup of the onions on each sheet of parchment. Place fish on top, scored side up. Stuff the inside of the fish with herbs. (It?s ok if they stick out a bit). Top each fish with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the shallot butter. Cover with the lemon slices. Drizzle 1 tablespoon white wine and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over each fish. Fold the parchment over the fish. Starting at 1 end, fold the paper on itself, making sure to completely seal it. At the end, fold it underneath itself. Repeat. Place fish on large baking sheet and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes. To serve, place trout en Papillote on a platter. Cut the parchment at the table to ensure that all the aromas stay inside the package.

Lemon-Shallot Butter:

* 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
* 1 lemon, zest finely minced
* 1 small shallot, finely minced
* Salt and pepper

In a food processor, combine all ingredients until mixed. Place whipped butter mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Freeze until ready to use. Butter will keep in the freezer for at least a month.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-specials/whole-trout-en-papillote-recipe/index.html
msolga

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:10 am
@msolga,
p.s. ...
You don't have to make the "Lemon-Shallot Butter", either.
I usually just spread a little butter (if I'm using it at all) over the fish with a knife, then squeeze the lemon juice over, then put cut lemon pieces on top & sprinkle the fresh herbs over the lot.

Anyway, whatever you decided to do with this fish, enjoy, Roberta! Smile
msolga

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:13 am
@msolga,
Surprised I just noticed that you started this thread in July. So I presume the fish would now be long-gone! Smile
Duh.
Oh well, I meant well! Wink
0 Replies