Why do you feel the need to debate?

Sheep

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:35 pm
I love to post my ideas on this debate site, but I can't figure out just why I need to debate anything or why I need to let others see and respond to my ideas. Maybe somebody out there can shed some light on this mystery or ask questions about themselves on here and let others answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,682 • Replies: 31
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:46 pm
It's sure a quick way to find out what's wrong with your argument.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:13 am
Sheep
A2K is actually not a debate site. It's a site where people can ask questions of all kinds. Of course there are questions that are debate worthy, but there are questions of all kinds from political, religion, computers, parenting, cooking, gardening, etc.., to people just posting things for fun such as riddles, jokes, etc...

I hope you enjoy it here.

Welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:12 am
I don't know either. Morbid fascination maybe.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:35 am
I think that, if one looks beyond the basic essence of 'arguing', there's a kind of camaradarie in it: everyone is involved in a discussion, and get to learn about each other's opinions, which is important.

Or people are argumentative. Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:20 am
Because I'm more right than you are!

BTW welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:27 am
I consider myself a master debater, and sometimes a cunning linguist. Oldies but goodies...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
The older that I get, and the more that I know, the more I realize, that in the scheme of things, I don't know diddlysquat. It is interesting to compare my ideas with other people, reassess my conclusions, and then either keep or modify my "take" on issues.

Besides, it's fun debating with the great folks on this site. Welcome to A2K, Sheep! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:44 am
I don't feel a "need", exactly. Sometimes it's fun, is all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:33 pm
Ceili wrote:

Damn, Ceili, that was going to be my answer!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:51 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Ceili wrote:

Damn, Ceili, that was going to be my answer!

You folks might like to be more - but I like to be the most Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:58 pm
Because I desperately am trying to make the world understand that I'm right about everything, smarter than everybody else. It's an up hill battle. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:50 pm
truth
Actually, while I enjoy these debates, it's not because I am a competitive person. Actually, I find winning and losing both distasteful. What I like is the dialog. If the subject is not interesting, if I cannot invest myself in it, I simply do not join in. But the reasons I do participate in general (in A2K and Abuzz) is that I like the opportunity to gain information and to put together thoughts, to find out more precisely what I think about various topics. I am much less likely to examine my orientation(s) without some "social" incentive. So, these debates permit me to generate synaptic connections (necessary for a retired academic), and to interact with people who share similar interests. Oh! and I enjoy the frequent treats of wit. Sorry, I couldn't think of anything funny.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:01 pm
I don't think it's about winning and losing, but rather lively conversation; civil (well, mostly) discourse on the issues of the day.

Before the prevalence of the Web and sites like this, there was simply no way to get into a good go-round (unless you lived in the UK and had a favorite pub).

Now we can quarrel with someone on another continent, rather than with our neighbor down the street.

Ain't technology wonderful?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
Quote:
Now we can quarrel with someone on another continent, rather than with our neighbor down the street.

PDiddie- And think, you never have to glare at him at the mailbox! Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:12 pm
truth
Pdiddie, actually you remind me of the closest thing to these cyber coffee houses (A2K and Abuzz), i.e., the Epicurean coffee house I used to attend most nights (12-4 a.m.) on Hollywood Blvd. in the late sixties.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:04 pm
"Why do you feel the need to debate?"

Sometimes I just feel very strongly about an issue. I want to consider it from all sorts of angles. To me true debating is like a game of chess....You take a position and make a series of calculated moves according to the information presented at the time. You try to think ahead and imagine what the counter arguments will be. Sometimes the debate takes you to the edge of what you believe. I suppose it is thinking on your feet. It's fun to be able to come up with a good argument.

To me it's a game in which you counter each point like ping pong. Hopefully, the debators on both sides play in an elegant and sincere fashion until it results in a satisfying conclusion. Most often it is a victory for one of the sides though rarely it may result in a stale mate.

To be honest, I guess I AM competitive. I enjoy the sparring match.
0 Replies

Gromit

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:39 pm
My understanding of this (and a lot of other human behavior in general) was helped by a book about primates. Apparently primates are a pretty noisy, chatty and curious bunch. If we had evolved from another more sedate or less noisy animal, we probably wouldn't feel the need to talk so much. So it's a primate thing ...I guess.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:03 pm
truth
Gromet, interesting speculation. But you might consider that there are interpersonal variations (the psychological factor) and intersocietal differences (the cultural factor) in the vigor with which people interact and compete. So psychological and cultural conditioning--as well as evolutionary hard-wiring--are also factors. At least that's my speculation.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:13 pm
Welcome to a2k, sheep. Often, I just read the debates going on; but then someone explains something in such a way that makes me realize that my entire perception of the topic has changed. Once in a while, I feel strongly enough to enter in or a detail has been mentioned that compels me to ask a question. I guess it keeps my old brain from caving in on itself.
I am slower than I was a few years ago and have to admit that I didn't 'get' the first part of cav's answer for a few minutes.
Even the humor can be enlightening.....
0 Replies