Unearthing a password

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:11 am
We use Airport (wireless internet).

This computer (eMac, six years old) was initially set up so that either I or my husband could log in, and there were essentially two computers in one (his and mine). For example, if I logged in the desktop would appear as I configured it (screensaver, icon placement), etc. If he logged in, it would appear as he had configured it. (This extends to programs, etc.)

Initially we set it up that way because we planned to both use the computer. But in practice I use it the vast majority of the time, and he uses his work laptop. When he uses this computer, he goes ahead and logs in as me (he has my password) since many more programs etc. are on this one and since if he uses it for a short time, I'll still be the one to use it later.

Six years ago, though, when he didn't know that's how things would play out, he set up Airport when he was logged in as himself.

But since he hasn't logged in as himself in nearly six years, he has forgotten his password. He can't now log in as himself.

We can't access or change the Airport password when we're logged in as me.

We need to either figure out the Airport password or change it, to get our brand-new computer connected to the internet.

Any ideas for how to get around this problem? (Besides him remembering his password of course, which he has tried to do for two days now without success.)

Sorry if anything's not clear, hard to strike the right balance of providing enough but not too much info. Ask if you're still confused and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks!!

edit: we obviously don't know the Airport password either.

Problem one: we can't remember the Airport password (set up six years ago, not used since, and forgotten.)

Problem two: we can't remember E.G.'s log-in password (set up six years ago, not used in at least five, and forgotten), so we can't access the Aiport password on the Keychain or change the password.

parados

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:19 am
@sozobe,
You can get around it by doing a hard reset. This will delete everything from the Airport and allow you to set it up again as if it was new.

Before you do a hard reset, you should get all the information you can to set it up the same way again. It deletes everything, so you may have to reset up anything that is currently connecting OK.

This tells you how to do a reset
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728?viewlocale=en_US
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:20 am
@parados,
Ooh thanks! That was quick.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@sozobe,
The reply was quick. Setting it up again may not be quick.

I suggest finding info on setting it up before you do the hard reset or you could be without it for a few hours as you go through the set up process. Longer if you have no other internet access and find you don't have all the information you need to set it up.
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:24 am
@parados,
Understood. I probably won't do anything until tonight. Will let this marinate a bit too in case someone says "no don't do that!!!" or "that would be OK but this would be better" or for that matter "exactly what parados said. He's totally right."
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:26 am
@sozobe,
Meanwhile, I just had a random brain wave which might solve the problem. We've been focusing on this computer, but when he uses his laptop at home he uses Airport. Maybe he can get the password from his laptop.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:43 am
@sozobe,
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks, DrewDad. The resetting an administrator password part looks useful.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:55 am
The laptop trick worked! Password has been located. New computer, here I come. (I cannot WAIT.) (Purchased, just needs to be set up.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@sozobe,
thenewcomputerissetupomigoditissocooliknowappleisevilbutMANthey'regoodatdesign!!!!

<takes a breath>

so nice to have a working computer. unbelievably nice.

thanks for your help, parados and drewdad! i'm an admin on the new computer so hopefully this won't recur in another 5-6 years.
0 Replies