We have a moth problem!! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the moths??

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 05:14 am
They have taken out the suits from the cupboard, bought repellent but need to "wash" the cupboard out. help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 05:36 am
@christina smith,
Hello "Cupboard" That means you are not in the USA.

The easiest way of protecting your woolens is to put them in sealed plastic bags.
Put a little scoop of moth balls(I guess that's what you are calling 'repellent') in the bag first, then seal it up and hang it up.

(The gas released by the moth balls kills any little critter hatching out. Note: Moths don't eat anything, their hatching babies do.)

You know you've done it right if there is no smell of mothballs in your cupboard. (because it's sealed in the bags, right?)

When the cooler weather arrives, take the clothes out of the bag and hang them up in some airy place for a few hours. No smell will be left.

Joe(and no holes in the fabric)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 05:51 am
An exterminator I know also suggested the mothballs (preferably in sealed bags, per Joe's suggestion). He also looked around for decorations and the like made from real plants. He threw out a dried flower display which he said would harbor moth's eggs.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 08:42 am
surface spray around the cracks and joins in your cupboards and drawers may assist as thsi is where moths lay eggs
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:37 pm
If you have carpets in your residence, you might want to treat them as well. If the infestation is really bad, you may need to fumigate the whole residence, including any fabric-covered furniture.

Dry cleaning the clothing will kill all stages of the moth and larvae. Once done, store them as suggested by others to prevent re-infestation.

If the infestation is really bad, you may need to fumigate the whole residence, including any fabric-covered furniture.

Here's some info on the moth, eradication and prevention suggestions.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7435.html
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
When I moved into my apartment in the Sacramento Valley several years ago, there was a really bad infestation of both pantry and clothing moths; apparently from the apartment below me. I had to dispose of all grains and flour products in the pantry and scrub down the inside of the cabinets to get rid of the pantry moths. Some cedar blocks, moth balls, laundering everything and a couple seasons of cold winter weather finally got rid of the clothing moths. After you think they are all removed, be on the look out for larvae from newly hatched eggs and kill them as soon as they're seen. If you see new moths, kill them before they have a chance to lay new eggs.
0 Replies