Strange and/or Beautiful music I've just discovered

hingehead

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 02:36 am
Really, really, really nice. Texas - take a bow.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:54 pm
Not so much 'just discovered' but just discovered what it's called and who does it. Nice late night introspection music...

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 07:54 am
Windmills of my mind was originally Les Moulins mon de couer (the windmills of my heart?) by Michael Legrand - looks like this jazz downtempo group have reclaimed it from Noel Harrison
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 07:10 am
Para One did the soundtrack for La Naissance des Pieuvres - a movie with a theme a little like Bilitis, no wonder the soundtrack sounds like a new millenia update of that soundtrack:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 04:46 pm
Some stately electronica, nice blend of downtempo and trip hop Artist Info

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 06:17 am
I thought I knew the Shriekback back catalogue - very different for them, very atmospheric:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 04:22 pm
Another atmospheric electronic instrumental piece I found lying about in a pool of bytes.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:57 am
Delicately crystal like, music for snow falling quietly in an uninhabited forest

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 06:33 am
Another 'ambient' track - free and legal download @320 http://www.archive.org/details/ca425_mc - I should start doing my own videos for these.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:27 am
This one is kind of fun because it's such a well know song, but it takes ages to realise what it is!

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:00 am
We just lost a wonderful astronomer and the host of a short (5 minute) show on stargazing that had run on Public Broadcasting for 35 years.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/jackhorkheimer1.jpg

The theme music I believe falls into the strange/beautiful category. It is by an electronic music wizard named Tomita and it is based on Debussy's Arabesque #1

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:07 pm
@panzade,
I bought my first Tomita album in the 1970s! It was called 'Space Fantasy' and had the most jokey reference to the Star Wars theme in it. He was quite well known in Oz for 'Snowflakes are dancing'.
[youtube]tomita snowflakes are dancing[/youtube]

I never really liked the synth 'voices' he used - obviously talented but he sounded sorta like a casio version of Vangelis.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 04:20 pm
Yum!

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 04:44 pm
Blue Swerver sound like an alt pop band with a fondness for sunny chill jazz.

Somewhere along the line I've downloaded their album 'The Art Of Collapsing" (Creative Commons licenced) http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Blue_Swerver Classy.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:55 am
I love the web. I started buying Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream albums before I escaped puberty, but I never really got into a lot of other krautrock like Can and Neu! at the time. This just came up on random

So to catalogue it I had to do a little research. Wolfgang Riechmann played in a school band with former members of both Kraftwerk and Neu! He made a small dent in the local scene with a band called Streetmark, but decided to go solo and recorded an album called Wunderbar (Silberland above is from that album). Crazysadly he was knifed for no reason by two drunks in Dusseldorf. He received pisspoor medical treatment and died four days later of internal bleeding, before Wunderbar was released.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:22 pm
Hey HH!

Here's 'nother one tho I may have already put this on here a while back... but 'eh, love this... Mr. Green

Silas Bjerregaard - You Know Me
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:27 am
hingehead

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:38 am
@hingehead,
If you like that Bon Iver cover you might like this piece of gospel

hingehead

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 07:48 pm
hingehead

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 05:06 am
I really like Selva De Mar from Barcelona - wish someone would use one of their studio pieces as background to a youtube video - I guess I'll have to do it myself

This bit of street live will have to do for now....

PS more about them here
http://www.selvademar.com/pages/?lang=en